diy solar

diy solar

800 watts solar need a parallel branch connector?

datsolardude

I have two 400 watt Bouge RV solar panels for total of 800 watts, and I can't find branch connectors higher than 50 amps. Does this par5 exist or any other ways to connect to my charge controller without the branch connector?

I am not sure where you are trying to connect a branch connector that large. If your charge controller can handle to voltage of two panels in series the current would be only the current of one panel which I doubt would be mor than ten Amps. If you are talking about charging a 12 volt battery from 800 Watts of panels the highest current you might see on a cold day in Spring or fall might be 60 Amps at 12 volts. That is battery current not solar panel current. I agree with the earlier post from @hwy17 that 50 Amps from solar is not a good idea. It would also require much larger cables that one traditionally find on solar panels or interconnections

What are the panel and charge controller specs? 50 amps of PV doesn't sound like a good idea.
Charge controller is renogy 100 amp it will take it, So I need to run 2 panels into a pairallel branch connector but all the connectors that I'm finding says that it's rated amps is 50a. The parallel branch connector will then go to my is a charge controller.

Renogy 100A 12V/24V/36V/48V DC Input MPPT Solar Charge Controller Auto Parameter Adjustable LCD Display Solar Panel Regulator fit for Gel Sealed Flooded and Lithium Battery, Rover 100A,Black https://a.co/d/iMHfeEU

That controller should easily handle your two (even add another for 3S) panels in series, so no need for Y connectors etc. :)

From your link: -

1703925674295.png

That controller should easily handle your two (even add another for 3S) panels in series, so no need for Y connectors etc. :)

From your link: -

View attachment 185811
I most likely will be adding more panels if they are compatible. But I'm wondering what to Dude, considering every Y or 4 branch connector is only rated for 30 amps. And I want to be able to pump 60 to 80 amps into my battery.

Feels like you're missing something about what MPPT gives you.

An MPPT will convert 3s string with higher voltage/lower current into lower voltage/high charge current on the output side. That's part of the magic.

The most common Y connector config will be 2P since it does not require fusing, and with most solar panels <15A it follows that 30A after the splice is a common rating. Also this matches 10 AWG PV's current rating (ish)

EDIT: A 12kW array might commonly be wired for 500Vmpp and ~24A Impp (something around 14S2P). So even in a large setup like that 50A is not needed, and indeed it sometimes entails hunting down less common MC4 connectors, etc.

I don't want to wire in series, I want parallel for amps

Series or parallel will give you the same 800W of power.

The MPPT will take care of the output volts/amps (it's magic!).

Vin x Ain (from your panels) = Vout x Aout (to your pack) = Power

If your battery is 12V then 800W is about 66A and it makes no difference whether your panels are in series or parallel.

Series connection is actually marginally better as your array will start generating sooner and finish later.

I'm confused and trying to understand what you're telling me. Because from what I understand when you wire solar panels together in series You increase the system voltage which I don't want to do I want to have a twelve voltage system with increased amp hour capacity.
Series or parallel will give you the same 800W of power.

The MPPT will take care of the output volts/amps (it's magic!).

Vin x Ain (from your panels) = Vout x Aout (to your pack) = Power

If your battery is 12V then 800W is about 66A and it makes no difference whether your panels are in series or parallel.

Series connection is actually marginally better as your array will start generating sooner and finish later.
So what you're saying is I can wire these in series. Connect them to my charge controller. And I will still get the same charge? So why use parallel? What would change if I use parallel versus series?

I don't want to have the problem with Siri, as if there is shade on one panel would affect the whole system. I think that's the biggest motivator for going parallel.

I'm confused and trying to understand what you're telling me. Because from what I understand when you wire solar panels together in series You increase the system voltage which I don't want to do I want to have a twelve voltage system with increased amp hour capacity.

So what you're saying is I can wire these in series. Connect them to my charge controller. And I will still get the same charge? So why use parallel? What would change if I use parallel versus series?
Is there a way I can still do this the way I want? A parallel Solar System with 2 400 watt panels to my charge controller?

Is there a way I can still do this the way I want? A parallel Solar System with 2 400 watt panels to my charge controller?

Yes, each panel will only be giving <15A (Isc) so your 30A connectors will be just fine.

If shading is likely to be an issue, then parallel may mitigate, but at the expense of a shorter charging day.

The spec. of the controller isn't very clear, but I'd guess that a maximum of 3P would be it. At that level you'll be looking at needing fusing on the solar side and the easiest way to achieve that and stay within the normal realms of the MC-4 connectors would be a combiner box.

EDIT Those same 3 panels as 3S would generate the same power (but maybe with shading issues) but would need no fusing / combiner.
EDIT 2 With a 12V pack those 3 panels either as 3S or 3P would be the limit of the controller anyway.

Last edited:
Take a photo of the datasheet on the back of your panels or link to them here so we can help you more easily instead of guessing at your panels output.

I'd also suggest using the beginners corner for any future questions or reading up on basics for solar setup. There are a lot of helpful people there.

Back