diy solar

diy solar

A few breaker box questions, before I finish up. UK.

Fingers

I'm getting close to finishing the installation, and I have some nagging questions. Probably best answered by a uk sparky :)

Two consumer units / breaker boxes, the left box is for ups, the right is for mains. I'm also using a transfer switch in the right box that will by pass the inverter should it go up in smoke: leaving my family without lighting and sockets, should I not be here :(

1) The 40 amp double pole breaker & transfer switch: Does it have to be double pole? The diagram in the manual shows double for the uk, but the manual is contradicted by sunsynk videos for other things.

2) As per uk regulations I have to fit a red rotary switch just before the mains goes in to the inverter: Do I need to have a double pole switch in the right hand breaker box as well? It would be nice but there is no room, unless I use a single pole 40 amp breaker & transfer switch (which I'm not entirely sure that I should be using).

3) The armored cable in the right hand box is nice and tight, but fixed in with two plates as the hole (50mm) was way too big. Is this ok for uk regs? Would earthing this to the box with a small bolt through one corner be ok?

4) I'm using H07RN-F 10mm2 rubber coated flexible cable. I take it that this is ok for work inside the box?

5) When in use as a transfer switch, it will have the neutral & earth bonded (no power=bond), and the main switch in the left (ups) breaker box will need to be thrown to un-bond it. Obviously not a perfect solution, but what about the regs? Do I just ditch the idea of a transfer switch?

BREAKER-BOXES.JPG

Ok, that's it for the breaker boxes, here's the slimmed down battery box :)

BATTERY-BOX-1.JPG

BATTERY-BOX-2.JPG

Last edited:
Back