diy solar

diy solar

A few good questions...

stuartbh

William,

I have seen a couple of your videos, very nice. I am a Ham Radio Operator and have several interests in terms of off-grid power and battery power.

Your links (on your youtube video notes) for purchasing the valence "green batteries" did not work. Any idea where I can get one or two and at a good price ($150 is your suggestion)?

You showed a device to demonstrate and test the charging capability of the batteries, can you mention the model number and where you obtained it?
This one looks similar, but does not seem to be the one you used. Do you think it is of reasonably equitable quality and capability?

You seem to be very focused on solar, but I would imagine most charging and switching systems work equally well if the input voltage is from wind power, hydro power, or solar power, no? So if someone had a hydro or wind turbine going through a rectifier and then a DC-DC converter outputting 12V, that could work as input to an MPPT also?

I have a small 6x4 utility trailer and am thinking to put some solar panels on top of it and place a battery inside to keep charged, what would you recommend? What installation issues (mounting a top the roof) must I be concerned with?

I also have a Ford Police Interceptor Utility that I am contemplating to add a second battery in, have you ever had any experience with West Mountain Radio products, specifically the ISOpwr+ device? I would imagine the ISOpwr+ is not compatible with the green valence batteries?

If I had a green valence batteries, what considerations must be taken into concern and what kind of device must be used to charge them from regular AC power?

If someone were going to build a system greater than 400-500W what kinds of MPPT controllers do you recommend (I am NOT building a 5-6KW system for my home), just wondering what larger MPPTs you like?

Thanks in advance and may you and your family remain healthy during these medically challenging times.

Stuart, N3GWG

You seem to be very focused on solar, but I would imagine most charging and switching systems work equally well if the input voltage is from wind power, hydro power, or solar power, no?
Wind turbines are nuanced - they require a 'dump load' in order to provide mechanical resistance within the turbine when there is little to no load. Wind turbine controllers almost always have this built in.
So if someone had a hydro or wind turbine going through a rectifier and then a DC-DC converter outputting 12V, that could work as input to an MPPT also?
No. An MPPT solar charge controller is of a very specific design in that it attempts to track a PV array's Maximum Power Point under varying solar irradiance conditions (e.g. clouds). You would be wasting money using one of these for any other purpose.
I have a small 6x4 utility trailer and am thinking to put some solar panels on top of it and place a battery inside to keep charged, what would you recommend? What installation issues (mounting a top the roof) must I be concerned with?
This is quite a broad query, can you be more specific? For example, are you looking for a system design, product guidance, practical advice on installation etc.
I also have a Ford Police Interceptor Utility that I am contemplating to add a second battery in, have you ever had any experience with West Mountain Radio products, specifically the ISOpwr+ device? I would imagine the ISOpwr+ is not compatible with the green valence batteries?
No experience. My only comment would be take care if you are planning to charge the additional battery from your alternator.
If I had a green valence batteries, what considerations must be taken into concern and what kind of device must be used to charge them from regular AC power?
My initial is response is the device you need is a 'battery charger' but maybe I'm missing something. Are these 'green valance' batteries the ones without a BMS? Please clarify.
If someone were going to build a system greater than 400-500W what kinds of MPPT controllers do you recommend (I am NOT building a 5-6KW system for my home), just wondering what larger MPPTs you like?
I can personally recommend the Victron range. Bulletproof.

diy solar

diy solar
Back