diy solar

diy solar

A question for redundancy and cost effectiveness

Eldergamer

Would it not be better to buy two 4000W units and run them paralleled for 8000 Watts and have the redundancy of a second unit? (US $580.00 X2 = $1160.00 US
4000W Hybrid Off Grid Solar Inverter With MPPT 60A Solar Controller AC220V DC48V

or

Buy one 5000w unit for US $1,092.50
5000w 48vdc 120v/208V/240V Split phase Solar inverter 80A Dual MPPT charger

I mean for the difference of $67.50 you can have 3000 additional watts and the redundancy of a second Inverter in case one fails. You could simply rewire and get by with just the one unit until a replacement is available.

What do you think?
Eldergamer

Thanks, I'll do that. I followed the links from DIYSolars youtube video. Are these not the ones suggested? They look so similar.

Thanks, I'll do that. I followed the links from DIYSolars youtube video. Are these not the ones suggested? They look so similar.
I do not know one way or another I'm just make sure you know what you are getting. More than once I have mistakenly bought the wrong thing thinking it was something else.

I do not know one way or another I'm just make sure you know what you are getting. More than once I have mistakenly bought the wrong thing thinking it was something else.
It's easy to do for sure. Knockoffs are everywhere. If you hadn't caught that it wasn't MPPT I might have bought that. The link I used had a picture of an MPPT and when I clicked on it I was taken to a unit that looked just like it. So thanks for that.

You may want to reconsider as those do not have "UL" or "CSA" approval, at least that was what was emailed to me by that specific company.

They did say they were "working on it" tho.
I already have thanks. There was some bait and switch going on. The link I clicked on had a picture of an MPPT and the unit it took me to looked just like one. I didn't even notice that it didn't say MPPT on it.

I guess it depends on what the redundancy is trying to protect against. If you were an off gridder and redundancy was desired having an inverter and set of panels stashed away, ie not connected to anything and in the case of the panels, not mounted, might be an idea. One good hail storm and any panel outside is ruined. On nearby lightning strike during that storm and your inverter is probably going to pop some transistors or worse.

I guess it depends on what the redundancy is trying to protect against. If you were an off gridder and redundancy was desired having an inverter and set of panels stashed away, ie not connected to anything and in the case of the panels, not mounted, might be an idea. One good hail storm and any panel outside is ruined. On nearby lightning strike during that storm and your inverter is probably going to pop some transistors or worse.
We have some pretty large hail on occasion here in NW Oklahoma. Any type of permanent guard over the panels would reduce their production. I have been thinking about some kind of air bag that could be deployed and retracted. I know I have goofy ideas sometimes. I have been told I spend most of my time thinking outside the box. Unrelated in Australia is it called outside the box when you have a different viewpoint?

Yep, it's familiar expression. We recently had some crazy weather in my state's south east which prompted me to post about hail damage. Not much survives hail that's up to 4.5".

Yep, it's familiar expression. We recently had some crazy weather in my state's south east which prompted me to post about hail damage. Not much survives hail that's up to 4.5".
4.5" is as big as I have ever seen and then only in pictures. I think the air bags might not help much when the hail is that large. Once in a small town to my east I seen where hail had pitted the asphalt roadway. I am happy to say I was not there when it happened. We have a twister go by once in a while. I guess we have to be ready to take what nature gives us good with the bad. It seem mostly good. Take care down under.

I'm off grid, so redundancy (and dirt simple to repair/replace) is a HUGE deal for me.

Having started 20+ years ago, my equipment is most certainly showing it's age.
No tracking to the Watt, no combined units, no connectivity that's available now.

You are dead correct with starting at 48 volts instead of trying to beat big power out of a 12 DC side.
In my opinion, anything above 2,000 Watts should be 24 Volts,
Anything above 3,000 Watts should be 48 Volts.
It just makes things SO much easier...

For redundancy on a large system, I'd have a very serious look at micro inverters on the panels that transmit in high voltage AC.
A bunch of savings in losses, and any given panel/inverter can fail with the system staying running.

I'm a fan of modular rather than combined in one big unit,
Any one given smaller component can fail without crashing the system entirely, and let's face it, smaller modular components CAN be replaced for a lot less that having the combine unit sent in for service and doing without until it's returned.

I can be crippled on any component, but not killed...
I posted this earlier as a 100% redundant system, any single component can be deadline for maintenance and the system stay up at somewhat reduced capacity.
It's also expandable for some starting small but wanting to expand later on as budget allows.

Redundant2.jpg

Nothing fancy or integrated, all modular, voltage to suit, and allows for mixing/matching panel, charge controllers, battery banks, inverters, etc.
The old 'Smaller' become back up to the newer/larger, but you are never entirely dead, just crippled from what you had before any given failure.

I use an automatic transfer relay on primary power, that defaults to secondary when the failure happens,
In the diagram I show a manual transfer switch,
My system has a lot of other add-ons, but this is the dirt simple version,
Common battery cable connectors for DC disconnects, no way for charge controllers/stronger battery banks to back feed other older/smaller banks, desulfidators for lead/acid strings sided to the particular batteries in that string, etc.

Redundancy *Might* mean different things to different people, but after 20 years, making what you have comparable with everything else you have allows ultimate redundancy since I can use whatever pops up, from 1900 Edison batteries, to huge lead/acid industrial equipment batteries to LiFePo4 batteries sitting right next to each other happy as can be.

If the 4,000 watt inverter fails, the old 2,500 watt kicks in, I'm crippled, not dead,
And you don't have to pay ultra-premium price for cascade inverters to be redundant.

I loose some Watts, nothing more than one smaller panel can produce,
The AC transfer switch consumes about 7 Watts, and idling second inverter eats about 10 Watts, but an inverter that 'Wakes' on demand would lower that to about 1 Watt, diodes eat Wattage but are 100% foolproof protection for the battery strings,
It's just not enough to worry me since a single cheap panel makes up the losses...

I'd love to have one of the new super slick interconnected inverter racks with ultimate redundancy,
One part of a system like that you can't fix yourself is the connectivity, given a single processor or cable fail, one software/program glitch and the entire thing is down for the count...
And I'm no computer expert! I can't get my Bluetooth to work half the time.
Hard wire, mechanical positive disconnects, etc,
In a failure/emergency I don't ever want to be at the mercy of 'Customer Service', trying to download trouble shooting software, and deal with 'Authorized Service Centers'.
Find the fail, replace the fail, get back to full strength and *IF* there is warranty, let them sort it out on MY schedule...

The bump to exotic batteries freed up conventional charge controllers, so more 'Spares' in the box, and I just bout two LiFePo4 controllers to start with, so when lead/acid string gets replaced, so does the charge controller and I order another one...

It's not for everyone, not everyone wants to educate themselves/equip for forwards/backwards compatibility,
I didn't have that choice, and I haven't had to reset a clock in 14 years, so the redundancy thing is ironed out here.

Take any/all of this for what you paid for it, use it if you can...

Back