diy solar

diy solar

EnerGen HV battery and Bel inverter system

boroko

Hi all,
Lurker here, and thanks for all the fish... er, I mean all the info! (Hitchhikers Guide reference, sorry, it just came out).

There was this auction, see... and they had something like 175 batteries (355v, 50Ah, 17.7kWh). I can say that there was energetic bidding that went many hours after the original closing time. I suspect one or two of the suspects might poke their head in here. If all goes well, maybe someone can pick up something, and the rest of us can learn something.

I notice that one of my auction competitors is offering his catch up for sale already:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275948578424 .
From what I have found so far, the unit consists of 4 of the units that WERE available here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224261848680.
Also snagged at the auction were some Bel BCV200-350-8 charger/inverters (20kW). https://training.belfuse.com/resources/datasheets/powersolutions/ds-BPS-BCV200-350-8.pdf
That has had me busy for the last few days sketching out a scheme to put mine to use.

The closest thread on a similar topic was https://diysolarforum.com/threads/high-voltage-diy-lifepo4.61498. While this discussion would have probably fit in fine there, it seemed like it might be better in it's own thread.

As it turns out, EnerDel was making custom EV batteries for automotive, industry, military, and things like mining and such. It also turns out that they laid everyone off about 3 weeks ago. That being the case, it's been a bit tough to call or email them and get any useful info. Pulling off the cover, they are built of 4 of the dual units shown in the second auction. Those are 2 ~45v units housed together, each with its own BMS. The overall container houses a controller board independent of the BMS's, 3 large contactors, 1 smaller contactor (pre-charge?), a current sensor, a 500A fuse, and one more device that could be a spark arrestor. The battery is forced air cooled. Still haven't really done more that give them a cursory look. I've been looking for official info but coming up short, so I'll dissect one and draw up a proper schematic to understand them better.

The Bel charger/inverter is quite a unit and can be found new at Mouser for about $12k. 110vac or 220vac input for charging @375v, can produce 15kW @ 220VAC (bi-phase) at 60A, 24vdc @ 34.7A, and 12vdc @ 278A. Its water cooled, and beautifully built.

Been ordering up all the necessary connectors so I can start playing with it, and starting to prepare a more permanent place to get them off my trailer.

Like I said, the overall info on the battery is sparse, but I know the CAN bus on the inverter uses SAE J1939. Since these came out of the same application, I wouldn't be surprised if the battery does too. That means I'm going to have some learning to do, or find a canned solution if one is available. Failing that, I can always pull them apart and use them in their component (~45v) form with conventional (read: purchased) electronics.

The current scheme rolling around in my head is separate the house from line power and feed it directly off the inverter (or 2 if they are sync able). Power the charger/inverter only from line power as I need to (read: off-peak rates) and add solar as I get a better feel for capacity and behavior. Since the Bel charger/inverter has no provision for DC input for charging, a 48v solar array with a basic 220VAC inverter could feed it independently and leave the battery management to the Bel. A bit convoluted, but modular, not technically Grid Tied, and makes use of the nice inverter without having to purchase an expensive replacement. Local power company (which I work for ironically) does not offer any buy back programs, so no need to involve them.

I'd love to hear if anyone has suggestions on any of this, and hopefully someone along with me will find it useful.

bo

Just did some digging around and found 3 of the Bel BCV200-350-8 inverter/chargers up on flea-bay. Asking $7500 - $8999. With any luck we'll figure out how to talk to these...

In contacting Bel, they want an NDA for revealing the CANbus scheme. I have found a listing for a different unit in the open, so I guess I'll get it and compare. I can't tell much about it, but I can determine if it can be run with the default settings.

Back