diy solar

diy solar

Absolutely maxing out an Enphase Iq7+ Envoy system

BillG

Anybody exceeded the max micro count on a string?

I now have 52 Iq7+ micros installed on 4 arrays (3 roof elevations, 1 ground mount). There are 26 385watt panels I purchased new plus 26 panels I salvaged from various upgrade jobs and shipping damaged mods. (I work in solar industry, have installed scores of grid tie systems and am aware of the safety implications) Anyway, my question regards how strictly the envoy controls additional micro installations. With Iq7+'s Enphase says you can only have 13 Iq7+ per string (which is what I have installed now, 13 X 4=52 micros). The latest array I added is in full shade until about noon and then back in shade by about 1400. So it will never really get great production, plus it is composed of cracked/shattered shipping damaged panels that don't seem to work very well even though they produce full voltage no load).
I have several more Iq7+ laying around as well as several pallets of mods. Soooo, what will envoy do if I add 2-3 more micros to my low production string? My theory is the PLC protocol cannot divine where a particular micro is located it relies only on the installer's map. This string in its current orientation will never exceed 20 amps AC so I am not worried about that part. (I think I answered my own question)
I believe the envoy can address hundreds of micros, but wondering if envoy software cares about how many on one string?
I guess i could make a phantom string that exists only in enlighten toolkit, and just splice a few more mods on my 4th string. I don't think envoy can tell what string a given micro is on except by the installer telling it.
I'm aware that the recomended solution is to install another load center. It's not worth another 75' home run for 2-3 panels, so I am not going to do that.
Anyway, wondering if anyone has tried this?

The q cable is 12ga cable. You're limited to 16A continuous on a 20A breaker (80%). 13*290/240 is 15.7A

So no you can't add more to your strings legally speaking. Practically sure go nuts. The envoy doesn't care.

As far as the envoy goes it can only deal with 64 micros as per the datasheet.

The q cable is 12ga cable. You're limited to 16A continuous on a 20A breaker (80%). 13*290/240 is 15.7A

So no you can't add more to your strings legally speaking. Practically sure go nuts. The envoy doesn't care.

As far as the envoy goes it can only deal with 64 micros as per the datasheet.
Interesting, I came upon a post by a tech support guy on Enphase site that said envoy in commercial application can handle 640 micros, then I saw a number somewhere with a different max number.
64 sounds about right for an 8bit microcontroller tho
That being said, this means technically I have not yet maxed out my Envoy. Busting out 12 more as we speak!

Adding to the Envoy, shouldn't be a problem.
Just don't overload the wiring.

So, for anyone interested, I can confirm Envoy doesnt care about the number of micros on a string. I have 15 panels on my low production string with at least 4 different mod brands/output wattages. And 13x3 more micros on the other 3 strings, total is 54 Iq7+micros. I did however blow the 40 amp back-feed breaker when the system went above 11k backfeed, which surprised me because I really didnt think shattered panels would work that well...
My MPU permit app goes in tomorrow. (Should be OTC)

Back