diy solar

diy solar

AC based charging using server power supplies

The volts peaking at 12.7v no matter what resistor I’ve tried is what makes me think it’s a different chip and possibly different functions for the legs. This is probably a good time to point out I know nothing about electronics and I’m just following the video

Getting >12.7-12.8 is harder since you have to bypass overprotection circuits. For some this can be found online, but not all supplies use the same electronics for this.

But it's not always needed to get >13V.
Many powersupplies don't have CC mode, but shutdown on overload. So for using it as a charger isn't advised anyway.

If you want to feed a MPPT (instead of PV) the MPPT will take care of the CC mode and charging parameters. But in those cases, there is always an addtional drop, so the PV input generally must be a few V above the battery voltage. Using a single supply would require to bump it to 16+V or more, but not all have eg output capacitors which can handle that.
Way easier to wire 2 in series to a 24V input, and let the MPPT handle the charge of the 12V battery. In that case, you don't have to mess with adjusting. Only rewire it to get it running, and make it floating from GND since you have to serie-wire 2 of them.

My plan was to use it as a charger running from a generator, I was trying to get it up to 14.0/14.1v output. It would never be used when I’m not sitting next to it and would be well below the bms settings.
this is the video showing it going up to around 16v and saying it can handle it but that’s about it’s limit.

What if they both fault?

edit: think I answered my own question. 120/240 means the lamp could handle 2 hot input should they both fault. Can anyone confirm this?
The suggestion of a neon indicator wired between the metal cases of the two PSUs is to cover the eventuality of one of the cases becoming live through an internal fault, mitigating the danger which arises from the fact that the earth connection to the case of the second PSU must be broken to avoid short circuiting the output of the first PSU (since case is joined to 0V output line, and 0V of PSU2 is connected to 12V of PSU1).

If both PSU cases simultaneously become live, then the earth connection to the case of PSU1 has failed at the same time that both PSUs somehow developed a fault causing their metal case to become live. With luck this bad, the only thing to do is to throw it in a skip and go down the pub for the rest of the day....

The suggestion of a neon indicator wired between the metal cases of the two PSUs is to cover the eventuality of one of the cases becoming live through an internal fault, mitigating the danger which arises from the fact that the earth connection to the case of the second PSU must be broken to avoid short circuiting the output of the first PSU (since case is joined to 0V output line, and 0V of PSU2 is connected to 12V of PSU1).

If both PSU cases simultaneously become live, then the earth connection to the case of PSU1 has failed at the same time that both PSUs somehow developed a fault causing their metal case to become live. With luck this bad, the only thing to do is to throw it in a skip and go down the pub for the rest of the day....
And if both become live, what happens? A bit of explosive neon light? This is what I was getting at. I would rather not introduce another hazard under the guise of safety. If the light can handle this state, then great. Otherwise...nope nope nope...

And if both become live, what happens? A bit of explosive neon light? This is what I was getting at. I would rather not introduce another hazard under the guise of safety. If the light can handle this state, then great. Otherwise...nope nope nope...
If both PSUs are plugged into the same AC phase then with both cases live there’s zero voltage difference between them and the indicator remains unlit. You’re not introducing any hazard by adding a neon indicator, but you are protecting against a hazard which lifting the ground connection on PSU2 introduces.

If both PSUs are plugged into the same AC phase then with both cases live there’s zero voltage difference between them and the indicator remains unlit. You’re not introducing any hazard by adding a neon indicator, but you are protecting against a hazard which lifting the ground connection on PSU2 introduces.
Thank you. That’s the itch (concern) I was looking to scratch.

I just want to mention that server power supplys are not current limited and will go into hiccup overload protection if the connected load draws too many amps, meaning the psu shuts down and only restarts if the "fault" (in our case the load) gets disconnected.

I just want to mention that server power supplys are not current limited and will go into hiccup overload protection if the connected load draws too many amps, meaning the psu shuts down and only restarts if the "fault" (in our case the load) gets disconnected.
That is true. Some sort of current limit like resistor or light bulb is needed. I put some 10 turn pots on mine so I can adjust the voltage output precisely. I can crank up the output voltage (while connected to the battery) and with an amp meter, adjust the volts to get the amps to a reasonable range. Then come back later and adjust as needed. It is not an ideal solution but is good for the emergency supply box.

That is true. Some sort of current limit like resistor or light bulb is needed. I put some 10 turn pots on mine so I can adjust the voltage output precisely. I can crank up the output voltage (while connected to the battery) and with an amp meter, adjust the volts to get the amps to a reasonable range. Then come back later and adjust as needed. It is not an ideal solution but is good for the emergency supply box.
I am building an agm charging system using a 480W 48V meanwell power supply (that has constant current so no resistor etc needed) but I will add a simple arduino or esp driven pwm mosfet to limit the power going into the batterys (higher pwm signal, more on time, more current, in my test setup I was able to controll down to a couple millivolts and nanoamps per step) (My system will be designed so all available energy thats not used in the house from an inverter will be pumped into the batteries)

Hey all...just bumping this thread as it seemed to be inline with what I'm looking for. Just finished assembling a 280ah Lifepo4 pack for our RV but a 120v charging solution is the next hump. I've seen a lot of discussion about server power supplies but there's so many rabbit holes when it comes to picking the best one (including the multiple threads linked here) that it gets overwhelming fast. Couple that with fuzz-brain right now from a concussion and I'm spinning my tires.

Can anyone share their outcomes with this path? Is there a "this is the one" PSU that ends up being the best choice at the end of the day?

I'm looking for something around 40-70 amps - I want to remain under 1000w AC draw so that I'm not maxing out a 15A circuit and leaving some overhead for other draws while the RV is plugged in.

Thanks for any insight.

Hey all...just bumping this thread as it seemed to be inline with what I'm looking for. Just finished assembling a 280ah Lifepo4 pack for our RV but a 120v charging solution is the next hump. I've seen a lot of discussion about server power supplies but there's so many rabbit holes when it comes to picking the best one (including the multiple threads linked here) that it gets overwhelming fast. Couple that with fuzz-brain right now from a concussion and I'm spinning my tires.

Can anyone share their outcomes with this path? Is there a "this is the one" PSU that ends up being the best choice at the end of the day?

I'm looking for something around 40-70 amps - I want to remain under 1000w AC draw so that I'm not maxing out a 15A circuit and leaving some overhead for other draws while the RV is plugged in.

Thanks for any insight.
Hi, I've done a lot of DIY UPS etc in the meantime, what battery voltage do you have? I found a couple very good MeanWell power supplies that feature constant current limiting (very good for charging ups batterys). But for a 280Ah LiFePo4 bank I would really really recommend getting a suitable LiFePo4 charger to keep the battery healthy.

Sorry, should have mentioned, it has a high end BMS, so I just need a supply.

It's a 4s pack.

Meanwell PB-1200-12? That is a 60A charger.

you do need a charger, since that does go into float once the batteries are full. A power supply doesn't. You can use a PSU to charge, but need to manually stop charging.

What do you call a high end BMS? I haven't seen BMSses which are actually chargers and thus lowering voltage. A BMS is the last line of defense, and does cutoff if the thresholds are reached, but it's not intended to act as a charger or whatever.

Also, keep in mind most powersupplies are 12V, and can't be adjusted to 14V. You want like 14V in order for the balancer to work as well. Charging with 12V isn't going to do much
Server PSU's generally can be modified to output higher voltages, but 14V+ is requiring to disable/modifiy the OVP as well.
Also, I'm not fully sure if they have CC so actually CAN be used as a charger.

Better get a 15V powersupply and dail it down, it's more easy to get 14-14.2V than 'upgrading' from a 12V.

Last edited:
you do need a charger, since that does go into float once the batteries are full. A power supply doesn't. You can use a PSU to charge, but need to manually stop charging.

So, my understanding (and based on how many others who use PSU's for charging, including lots here) is that you set the BMS accordingly to disconnect once the SOC you desire is reached. So in my case, being a bit conservative, I'd set the BMS to disconnect charging at 3.35v (90% SOC) and not reconnect again until 3.25V, 80% SOC, or a bit higher if I wanted the PSU to maintain a tighter window. I ultimately don't care if the PSU stays on constantly inside the 90% to 80% SOC window but isn't in active use.

Am I incorrect in my understanding that this will work just fine? Because it seems to be exactly what most people are doing.

Also, keep in mind most powersupplies are 12V, and can't be adjusted to 14V. You want like 14V in order for the balancer to work as well. Charging with 12V isn't going to do much

Lots can, which is the discussion in this thread. From a response I received on another forum it looks like the DPS800-GB (HP) is a popular unit that can be cranked well past what is needed for LifePo4 charging.

Meanwell PB-1200-12? That is a 60A charger.

What do you call a high end BMS? I haven't seen BMSses which are actually chargers and thus lowering voltage. A BMS is the last line of defense, and does cutoff if the thresholds are reached, but it's not intended to act as a charger or whatever.

Server PSU's generally can be modified to output higher voltages, but 14V+ is requiring to disable/modifiy the OVP as well.
Also, I'm not fully sure if they have CC so actually CAN be used as a charger.

Better get a 15V powersupply and dail it down, it's more easy to get 14-14.2V than 'upgrading' from a 12V.
The PB series only has a 1000W model,b the NPB has the 1200W. But yea those look like something you want to use.
The good thing about even normal PSU's from meanwell (like the MeanWell HRP series) is that htey have the possible to adjuast the output voltage (The HRPG-1000-12 can be adjust to a maximum of 14V i.e. and features constant current limiting -> requiement for charging batteries)

I've taken a look, the NPB charger in 1200W only costs 30€ more than the 1000W power supply so I'd really rather buy the suitable charger

I've taken a look, the NPB charger in 1200W only costs 30€ more than the 1000W power supply so I'd really rather buy the suitable charger

Yes, the NPB is the newer model. However, it doesn't have the small pot to adjust the voltage. You can use some presets, but for all other settings you need the optional SBP-001 programmer.

1673805889942.png

I bought DPS800GB and make hack found on YT (
) to disable over charge protection and voltage change. I've tried to charge my LifePo4 with it and here's the result

With 14.1V set on charger and battery around 13.4V - there was some constant clicking inside and current was low - around 30A
With 13.8V charger and 13.4V battery - 85A charging but charger was getting really hot, and after 10-15minutes current dropped to 35-60A, and it was floating (probably some protection)

Is there a way to limit current from the charger? Running it at 100% is really bad idea.

Back