diy solar

diy solar

Using Server/Telecom power supplies as battery chargers

jamiegreen

Solar Enthusiast
Soon will be upgrading to 48v with a new Victron Multiplus, but I'd like to get away from using the dirty geni power on passthrough. Trying to find a 48v 70-100a charger is proving difficult (EG4 not available in UK)

I've come across some Eltek Flatpacks which are readily available here, two of them in series to make a 4kw charger to run my geni at near max load.
My problem is.. these units are set at a default 53.5v, and I don't know if this is high enough to charge a 48v lifepo4 pack.. I only charge up to about 65% with the geni, but will this voltage allow the full 4kw up to 65% or will the current taper off before then due to the lower voltage of the charger?

These units are CANBUS configurable but all that code and techy stuff goes a bit beyond me, unless I can find someone I could pay to reconfigure them to say 56v.

Check this out...

Check this out...
Thanks, not sure how I missed that one!

I've a fair quantity of Flatpacks, plus the chassis rack if you need anything - I went through a similar experience 7 years ago when I first started building systems with ex EV cells, these thing are bullet proof and CAN controlled so work well with Batrium and REC.

I'm wondering why you aren't using the charger built into the MP ?

I've a fair quantity of Flatpacks, plus the chassis rack if you need anything - I went through a similar experience 7 years ago when I first started building systems with ex EV cells, these thing are bullet proof and CAN controlled so work well with Batrium and REC.

I'm wondering why you aren't using the charger built into the MP ?
I'd imagine most here would rather use a stand alone charger for the same reason as me, to prevent passthrough power from a generator being used whilst the batteries charge. My diesel geni is capacitor regulated and it's pretty dirty power, the LED bulbs flicker and I don't like running the hi-fi equipment on it, along with most other sensitive electronics.

I happened to see two 2000w flatpacks for sale on marketplace brand new for £100 each, up in Glasgow (assuming it's not you! ?)

Have you any experience changing their voltage settings via canbus? All that coding stuff is a bit beyond me..

Do you not have a grid connection ?

It's been a few years since needed to use the Elteks, but I simply followed the Endless Sphere thread, which contains absolutely everything you'll need to know - you'll need an arduino canhat and an edge connector, the coding is easy as someone has already written it :)

I'm a lot further north than Glasgow.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (21).jpg
    s-l1600 (21).jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 2
Do you not have a grid connection ?

It's been a few years since needed to use the Elteks, but I simply followed the Endless Sphere thread, which contains absolutely everything you'll need to know - you'll need an arduino canhat and an edge connector, the coding is easy as someone has already written it :)

I'm a lot further north than Glasgow.

I don't have a grid connection, just my solar array and a backup diesel generator. At the moment I just let my Victron Multiplus run in passthrough to charge the batteries, albeit not very often it happens, but soon I'll be upgrading it from 24v to 48v and I'd like to get the seperate charger sorted for that.

I will have a good look through the thread, and try and wrap my head around it. Although I only ever charge to around 65% with the geni, I'm not actually too sure if the standard 53.5v of the flatpack would be adequate for this or whether the current would taper off from it's max before the 65% soc mark due to the lower voltage. Worst case I'll try and find someone local with a little more canbus knowledge, I may know someone, and beyond that, if you still have the bits to do it and would be willing, I'd happily post and pay you to change the voltage.

Back