diy solar

diy solar

AC-DC Charger for 24V/48V LiFePO4

shorawitz

Solar Enthusiast
Just bought 8x BYD 25.6V batteries. They are all over the place in voltage currently. I'd like to see about getting a charger (and other gear to monitor/test) these batteries before I attempt to put them into production in my off-grid setup. Anyone have any recommendations?

I am new to this forum and also starting a similar project. I have some large used LiFePo4 24v batteries and I need to test them and start planning a charging process. I want to have AC charging and solar charging options in place. I have been watching a lot of Will's videos, which have good information. My first item is this cell monitor. The device will also balance, so I can put just any old charger on there for testing if I keep and eye on everything. My next step is adding BMS, fusing, etc. I might buy a small AC charger and them work on something DIY for a larger AC charger.

I bought two of the same batteries, assuming you are talking about the Battery Hookup deal. I’m waiting on delivery of a number of items, including an All-in-One charger/inverter, a battery monitor, high watt resistors for balancing cells, and molex connectors to use the connector on each battery, suitably rewired. I have yet to order a BMS as I am still studying which I will use. I’ve put together a wiring scheme so that I would require only one BMS for the pair of batteries.

I bought two of the same batteries, assuming you are talking about the Battery Hookup deal. I’m waiting on delivery of a number of items, including an All-in-One charger/inverter, a battery monitor, high watt resistors for balancing cells, and molex connectors to use the connector on each battery, suitably rewired. I have yet to order a BMS as I am still studying which I will use. I’ve put together a wiring scheme so that I would require only one BMS for the pair of batteries.
Yes, Battery Hookup deal (sold out now). I am thinking BMS controlled relay, so somewhat small BMS like the this one to control a relay. You can connect both the battery BMS output in series so that either could turn off the relay, both need to be on for the relay to energize..

So I'm not the only one. The batteries I purchased do not have screw down terminals, so I'll need to figure that one out. My inverter/charger and Solar CC is in transit (Schneider fanboy here.) I've got 4kW of LG solar panels to install as well - so I've got time to figure this one out. Lots of digging, building and mounting to do before batteries can go into production. Was hoping though I could get them (somewhat) at least balanced before I'm done with all the other installs.

So I'm not the only one. The batteries I purchased do not have screw down terminals, so I'll need to figure that one out. My inverter/charger and Solar CC is in transit (Schneider fanboy here.) I've got 4kW of LG solar panels to install as well - so I've got time to figure this one out. Lots of digging, building and mounting to do before batteries can go into production. Was hoping though I could get them (somewhat) at least balanced before I'm done with all the other installs.
I literally unloaded them into my garage and headed out of town (yesterday) with all haste. But when I get home one of the first tasks is to make terminal connections. In the comments of David Poz video we spoke a bit about the terminals. I think he said a 14mm battery cable end would go over the terminal. David said he plans to make something from copper pipe. I am thinking the same thing. I can post when I get home and get to work on it. I think I will cut a strip of copper about 1 inch wide, hammer it around a steel bold/shaft, then cross drill it so it is sort of a clamp on the terminal post and my battery cables can go on the bolt that is in the cross drilled hole. We will see if that will work or not.

I suggest in another thread slicing a section of half inch copper pipe, wrapping it around the terminal and then using a auto battery clamp. Someone tried that and it worked well. I'll be doing the same.

Back