diy solar

diy solar

ac/dc in conduit

In my barn I have the fence charger line (~8000v pulsed), Ethernet line, and camera video line zip tied to the outside of a conduit carrying 60A ac. I've never had a problem. If you had a low voltage dc signal line carrying the launch signal for a nuclear device I probably wouldn't do it. But otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
only control signal line will be the inverter remote on/off. otherwise its the DC line feeding the 4000w inverter (fused @350A) and 2 or 3 20A ac circuits. none are in actual conduit (pvc, metal, or otherwise). I will do it. If i have problems I will reroute whatever i need to.

2014 code was changed so >>>> No you cant have ac and dc circuit in same raceway. That includes wire gutter. https://www.electricallicenserenewa...ation-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=177.0 look at picture in top right corner show example of violation with wire gutter.
The code is SPECIFIC about PV source, and PV output wiring also, about inverter output wiring.… not about all dc wiring.
the OP never mentioned PV wiring. Just dc cable wiring. I will have to research the reasons behind PV specific rules, but it is likely due to unlimited source capacity and shutdown safety.

2014 code was changed so >>>> No you cant have ac and dc circuit in same raceway. That includes wire gutter. https://www.electricallicenserenewa...ation-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=177.0 look at picture in top right corner show example of violation with wire gutter.
id decided against putting them in the same raceway. i figured being amature, the fewer things i have to worry about tripping me up the better. all dc runs through the right side, ac runs through the left side.

Where are you going to find USB cables rated at 600 volts? MidNite Solar sells very special 300 or 600 volt ethernet cable (cant remember which) to use with their solar controllers as the “follow me” circuit as well as the ethernet cables are run in the same conduit as the over 60 volt solar input wiring...........they had to do this to comply with the NEC.....really bad idea to combine different power levels in same conduit......I retired from the communications industry and we never did that, data cables are always run separate, not even parallel to power AC for more than a few feet, Tiny noise on the AC power is huge compared to the signal levels on low voltage.

The code is SPECIFIC about PV source, and PV output wiring also, about inverter output wiring.… not about all dc wiring.
the OP never mentioned PV wiring. Just dc cable wiring. I will have to research the reasons behind PV specific rules, but it is likely due to unlimited source capacity and shutdown safety.
Wrong click on picture . it will zoom up and you can see "DC circuit" in yellow. Below picture info In the 2014 NEC, this practice of a common gutter containing multiple inverter output circuits will be a code violation unless a barrier is installed to separate the inverter output circuit conductors. You Cant mix pv circuits( pv circuit can be a dc or ac... ) With a inverter input or output circuits as it is consider a feed wire . Feed wires aka main power source can >never< share the same raceway with any type of circuit by the way . So if your doing a generator, solar or even utilities hook up aka entry cable don't mix other circuits ) .

">>>PV source circuits <<<<and >>>>PV output circuits<<<<< could >>>>not<<<< be contained in the same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting as conductors, feeders, or branch circuits of other>>>> non-PV systems<<<<<, unless the conductors of the different systems were separated by a partition. I had a wire gutter/ trough fail inspection on my sol ark which I had to separate my ac and dc circuits with a partition. "

Last edited:
Wrong click on picture . it will zoom up and you can see "DC circuit" in yellow. Below picture info In the 2014 NEC, this practice of a common gutter containing multiple inverter output circuits will be a code violation unless a barrier is installed to separate the inverter output circuit conductors. You Cant mix pv circuits( pv circuit can be a dc or ac... ) With a inverter input or output circuits as it is consider a feed wire . Feed wires aka main power source can >never< share the same raceway with any type of circuit by the way . So if your doing a generator, solar or even utilities hook up aka entry cable don't mix other circuits ) .

">>>PV source circuits <<<<and >>>>PV output circuits<<<<< could >>>>not<<<< be contained in the same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting as conductors, feeders, or branch circuits of other>>>> non-PV systems<<<<<, unless the conductors of the different systems were separated by a partition. I had a wire gutter/ trough fail inspection on my sol ark which I had to separate my ac and dc circuits with a partition. "
I see a lot of popular youtube installers using wireways/gutters with PV source wires (input to inverter) in the same wireway as all other wires, with no partitions... Seems like a 690.31(b) code violation . I could be wrong (easily). ...

... I guess if the PV wires are fused (NEC def of "Power Limited", it's "OK".... )

Last edited:
I would like you to show the code prohibiting this..
Code Conflict? (2020 NEC) : 690.31(b) "...(B) Identification and GroupingPV system dc circuits and Class 1 remote control, signaling, and power-limited circuits of a PV system shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. PV system dc circuits shall not occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway, as other non-PV systems, or inverter output circuits, unless the PV system dc circuits are separated from other circuits by a barrier or partition.

I guess if the PV wires are fused, it's "OK".... They could still continuously arc without blowing the fuse? SO maybe not a good practice?

I see a lot of popular youtube installers using wireways/gutters with PV source wires (input to inverter) in the same wireway as all other wires, with no partitions... Seems like a 690.31(b) code violation . I could be wrong (easily). ...

... I guess if the PV wires are fused (NEC def of "Power Limited", it's "OK".... )
YouTube and follows NEC code for PV is an oxymoron.

Back