diy solar

diy solar

AC wall charger via charge controller?

Mightymach

Background:

12v 400 amp hour battery pack.

This is the house battery for my boat.

Boat stays in the marina year round.

During the summer when there’s tuna around im fishing every other weekend.

When there are no tuna I won’t see the boat for a few months at a time.

My bilge pumps are connected to the house batteries and need to remain operational.

I’d like to store the lifepo4 batteries at 50% capacity, or what appears to be 13.15 volts.

Is there a charge controller than I can set to charge when battery voltage drops to say 13.1v (40%) and cut off at 13.2volts (60%)? This would be connected to a dedicated 110v AC charger.

In a perfect world, the bilge pumps will never kick on and the batteries will stay at 60% or 13.2 volts. In a less than perfect world, they cycle between 60% and 40% over the course of several days or weeks.

Your help is appreciated!!

You would be turning down the voltage for the float so that the batteries remained in that 30-70% range. Then when you need a higher state of charge, you would turn the voltage back up. This way when the pumps run and put a draw on the system, you are effectively replacing the drawn power from the charger, but never bringing the pack to a high SOC.

Is there a charge controller than I can set to charge when battery voltage drops to say 13.1v (40%) and cut off at 13.2volts (60%)? This would be connected to a dedicated 110v AC charger.
Yes there are many charge controllers which have AC inputs and you can program the charger settings to meet your requirements.

Looks like Will did a video on this unit. There may be less expensive All-In-One controllers which accomplish the same task.
It would be much cheaper to use panels and a controller. But then it will rain for a week, battery goes dead, boat goes down. That would suck.
Close!!

This is on my sport fisher without solar. I already have an inverter so the inverter aspect is a waste.

I'd just like to have an AC charger to turn on at 13.15 volts and turn off at 13.2 volts.

Thanks again!!

Back