diy solar

diy solar

Need help troubleshooting Ampere Time / Li Time battery

luisenriquereyes

I have two Ampere Time 12V 190Ah, 2432Wh Lithium LiFePO4 Batteries

I have a dedicated LiFePO4 battery charger that successfully charged both batteries in the past, but now this battery is not accepting a charge any longer
☹️

1706102424505.png

Now when connecting the battery charger to this battery, 14.57 Volts is measured but NO amps.

After disconnecting the battery charger, the battery voltage quickly drops down to 12.34 Volts and stays there
☹️

LiFePO4 battery charger info:

Model: Progressive Dynamics, Inc. Inteli-Power 9100 Model PD9160AL
1706101826543.png
Input: 105-130 VAC 60 Hz
1000 Watts
Output: 14.4 VDC, 60 Amps

Inverter info:

3,000 watt Samlex 12 volt Inverter
1706101966559.png

For troubleshooting, I have checked and done the following:

1. Tried to discharge the battery with the inverter connected to a load for 30 minutes.
Before connecting the inverter, the battery at rest voltage is 12.34 Volts.
When connecting the inverter to the battery then turning the inverter on, the inverter made a beep noise but then quickly turned off.
The voltage of the battery with the inverter connected was only 5.8 Volts and slowly decreasing.
After 30 minutes of only the inverter connected to the battery, switch on but the inverter does not turn on, the battery voltage went down to 4.96 Volts.

2. Tried to recharge battery after step 1 above but the battery still does not accept any charge ☹️

Any other troubleshooting I can try?

P.S. I could return the battery to Ampere Time / Li Time for a refund as it is still under warranty but I live in the Dominican Republic and do only accept returns form the USA. It would cost too much for me to ship to them.

I have two Ampere Time 12V 190Ah, 2432Wh Lithium LiFePO4 Batteries

I have a dedicated LiFePO4 battery charger that successfully charged both batteries in the past, but now this battery is not accepting a charge any longer
☹️

Now when connecting the battery charger to this battery, 14.57 Volts is measured but NO amps.

You're simply measuring the charger voltage. The battery is out of the circuit due to BMS protection.

After disconnecting the battery charger, the battery voltage quickly drops down to 12.34 Volts and stays there
☹️

When you charge to full and over-volt protection is activated, many batteries report a false-low voltage in the 12.X range though usually closer to 12.8-12.9V.

LiFePO4 battery charger info:

Model: Progressive Dynamics, Inc. Inteli-Power 9100 Model PD9160AL
View attachment 191026
Input: 105-130 VAC 60 Hz
1000 Watts
Output: 14.4 VDC, 60 Amps

You say 14.4V. The label says 14.6V

1. Tried to discharge the battery with the inverter connected to a load for 30 minutes.
Before connecting the inverter, the battery at rest voltage is 12.34 Volts.
When connecting the inverter to the battery then turning the inverter on, the inverter made a beep noise but then quickly turned off.
The voltage of the battery with the inverter connected was only 5.8 Volts and slowly decreasing.
After 30 minutes of only the inverter connected to the battery, switch on but the inverter does not turn on, the battery voltage went down to 4.96 Volts.

If you didn't use a pre-charge resistor, you have likely engaged short circuit protection. When connections are made, there is a surge of current to charge the inverter capacitors even when off. Most BMS assume this is a short circuit and engage protection.

2. Tried to recharge battery after step 1 above but the battery still does not accept any charge ☹️

Likely still fully charged.

Any other troubleshooting I can try?

Do you have any other 12V loads you can try like a 12V automotive lightbulb?

Contact the manufacturer and ask them how to wake up the battery’s bms.

Maybe connect the to batteries together in parallel- pos to pos and then neg to neg.

Thinking about this some more, I wonder if you couldn't connect the batteries to the system, with the inverter turned off. Then connect the charger to the batteries to wake them up, then power up the inverter?

Thinking about this some more, I wonder if you couldn't connect the batteries to the system, with the inverter turned off. Then connect the charger to the batteries to wake them up, then power up the inverter?

This would definitely be useful... everything connected, charger on, inverter on, charger off, test.

Back