diy solar

diy solar

AC200MAX; Need Panels...ASAP! Recommendations?

Rhino67

Guys trying to get panels bought and shipped ASAP, can someone make a recommendation please. Thinking I'll get the hardware here to beat the supply chain collapse, (support medical small equipment) and dig in and learn everything I can immediately. I just need to know which panels and how many for the AC200MAX

Looks like 10-145V PV input. 900W max PV, 1440W max charge with ac and solar charging.

Looks like 10-145V PV input. 900W max PV, 1440W max charge with ac and solar charging.
Believe the amp input max is 15 also, but i've read if you go over the 900w, then the inverter can pass it through the system.

Been wondering if you could overpanel it up to around 1400w or so, and then use the included AC charger off the inverter to double charge the battery.

Hobotech I think tested this and found that you could. I'm a noob doing everything backwards due to the supply chain challenges.

Based on all this what in your collective opinions would be the best (and available) panels to choose and how many should I get minimum/maximum? I'm trying to get everything I will need then jump in to learn all that I'll need to know to configure and maintain the system.

I would stay under the limits, prior bluetti products shut down when you exceed voltage/current limits. Bluetti makes a solar/dc charge controller that will plug into the dc charge port so you can charge on both the solar port and the dc port simultaneously.
Are you planning on mounting panels on your roof? If so what azimuth and pitch?

4s 2p is two strings of four panels in series and those two strings in parallel. So you will need a parallel connector and also get solar extension cord so you can put tent in shade and panels in sun.

Last edited:
Hobotech I think tested this and found that you could. I'm a noob doing everything backwards due to the supply chain challenges.

Based on all this what in your collective opinions would be the best (and available) panels to choose and how many should I get minimum/maximum? I'm trying to get everything I will need then jump in to learn all that I'll need to know to configure and maintain the system.

My point was to show you how to do it yourself.

Asking for "best panels" is like asking for the "best car." There isn't an answer. There are other variables as well. Panel size is often a driving factor.

Sum of series Voc of panels must be under the 145V limit, and you need 10-20% wiggle room to allow for cold temperature (cold causes panel voltage to increase).

Sum of parallel Isc needs to be considered against the unit's input current limits. In many cases, it's okay to go over that because the unit will just ignore any extra current available; however, this may mean that you have power you can never harvest.

Example:
Typical 100W panel has:
Voc of 21V
Isc of 6.1A
Vmp of 17
Imp of 5.9

If you put six of those in series: Voc = 6 * 21 = 126V; Isc = 6.1A
And then you put another string of 6 in parallel with the first string, Voc = 6 * 21 = 126V; Isc = 12.2A

that's 1200W of solar panels which gives you a good chance of actually getting the 900W.

Maybe 100W panels don't make sense for your application. Using the above process, you can determine how to configure whatever panels you find fit with your needs.

I would stay under the limits, prior bluetti products shut down when you exceed voltage/current limits. Bluetti makes a solar/dc charge controller that will plug into the dc charge port so you can charge on both the solar port and the dc port simultaneously.
Are you planning on mounting panels on your roof? If so what azimuth and pitch?

4s 2p is two strings of four panels in series and those two strings in parallel. So you will need a parallel connector and also get solar extension cord so you can put tent in shade and panels in sun.
I'd like to use stands on the ground, no permanent mount option yet

My point was to show you how to do it yourself.

Asking for "best panels" is like asking for the "best car." There isn't an answer. There are other variables as well. Panel size is often a driving factor.

Sum of series Voc of panels must be under the 145V limit, and you need 10-20% wiggle room to allow for cold temperature (cold causes panel voltage to increase).

Sum of parallel Isc needs to be considered against the unit's input current limits. In many cases, it's okay to go over that because the unit will just ignore any extra current available; however, this may mean that you have power you can never harvest.

Example:
Typical 100W panel has:
Voc of 21V
Isc of 6.1A
Vmp of 17
Imp of 5.9

If you put six of those in series: Voc = 6 * 21 = 126V; Isc = 6.1A
And then you put another string of 6 in parallel with the first string, Voc = 6 * 21 = 126V; Isc = 12.2A

that's 1200W of solar panels which gives you a good chance of actually getting the 900W.

Maybe 100W panels don't make sense for your application. Using the above process, you can determine how to configure whatever panels you find fit with your needs.
I really appreciate your insight and am in a truckload of personal chaos, my cousin who is the closest thing to a brother I have just told me he is full of cancer and has a few months left, so I'm trying to manage a ton and trying to learn this and do my job...totally overwhelming so asking for the best panel set up is just me praying I can get the equipment I'll need then learn what I need to learn to properly manage a system.
Sorry about that bro, just trying to save steps where I can. So I found this panel, I'll try to do the calc and see if I can get somewhere close
RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 12 Volt Moncrystalline Solar Panel High Efficiency Solar Module for RV Trailer Camper Marine Off Grid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0851RPM1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_F78MXN18YVY3010XGVQG

Back