diy solar

diy solar

AC200MAX

Hugh Jorgen

Hi, Folks. I’m new to the solar game. I have (2) 200W Renogy solar suitcases, each consisting of (2) 100W panels each, and each suitcase has a Voyager PWM controller. I’ll be trying to use all 4 to charge my Bluetti AC200MAX generator. I believe the Renogy suitcases are wired in parallel from the factory. Can I simply bypass the Voyager controllers on each suitcase, and connect the 2 suitcases in series, with Bouge Y-branch connectors, and then connect them to the Bluetti?
Thanks in advance!

Can I simply bypass the Voyager controllers on each suitcase, and connect the 2 suitcases in series, with Bouge Y-branch connectors, and then connect them to the Bluetti?
You need to make sure you don't violate the Bluetti's max input voltage. Use the panel temp adjust Voc numbers on your panels. If voltage of 4S panels, you might get by with 2S2P.

I believe that the Renogy solar suitcases are wired in parallel, since they come with a PWM controller. According to Renogy, I can simply disconnect the MC4 plugs before the controller, thus bypassing the controller altogether. I’m a bit lost on your suggestion about adjusting the voc numbers. Please forgive my ignorance - I know next to nothing about solar.

I’m a bit lost on your suggestion about adjusting the voc numbers.
Sorry that was supposed to be temp adjusted Voc. The Voc is the "no load" voltage. The voltage rises as it gets colder than the 25C (77F) where they are rated. When you connect the 2 pairs in series, the volts are summed. Be sure this voltage does not exceed Bluetti's max input voltage.

Would it work better if I were to disassemble each solar suitcase and wire them in series, then, connect them in parallel before the Bluetti? Each solar suitcase has a voc of 21.6, and the Bluetti accepts a range of 10-145.

Each solar suitcase has a voc of 21.6, and the Bluetti accepts a range of 10-145.
Its nearly the same whether you keep them in the suitcase in parallel and connect the suitcases in series (2P2S) as opposed to disassembling them and creating 2S2P as you describe. The only difference is that the latter is less susceptible to shading problems. You could also combine them all in series which would not require any Y connectors (probably easiest).

You're not locked in and its easily configurable. I'd probably start with 4S and see how that goes.

I appreciate the feedback for sure! I have already purchased the Y-connectors, and a 20ft. extension cable. In my dream scenario, I’d like to just have a plug-and-play situation, where I could simply connect the suitcases as they are (in parallel) to a Y- connector (in series) BEFORE the PWM controllers, and then connect the opposite end of the extension cable to the AC200MAX. This would then give me the option of easily disconnecting one panel, reconnecting it to the controller, and using it to keep my travel trailer batteries topped off. I probably should have mentioned that I’ve had one of the suitcases for about 3 years, using it for the trailer. My second suitcase should be delivered today. I really would rather not take anything apart. As far as the shading issue, that shouldn’t be a problem - I live in Arizona!
Thanks again for the information.

where I could simply connect the suitcases as they are (in parallel) to a Y- connector (in series) BEFORE the PWM controllers,
The Y connectors put them in parallel, not series.

And i'm pretty sure you need to take the PWM controllers out of the feed to the charge controller in the Bluetti.

Yes, my plan is to disconnect the MC4 connectors before they reach the controllers, and connect them to the Y- connector, then to the Bluetti. Then, when I reach full charge on the Bluetti, I can disconnect the Y-connectors, and reconnect the mc4 plugs right back into the charge controllers, just like they came from the factory - to maintain the trailer batteries. I guess my big question is: would the 2 suitcases, through a Y-connector, be a good/proper setup for charging the Bluetti?

I guess my big question is: would the 2 suitcases, through a Y-connector, be a good/proper setup for charging the Bluetti?
With 4 panels and a single pair of Y connectors, you will need a pair of series connections somewhere. Either 2P2S or 2S2P. Either of these as well as 4S would be just fine.

But if the Bluetti has a PWM inside it, then an 4S would be the least preferred.

Last edited:
Back