diy solar

diy solar

Add Heating Pads to EG4 or Switching to Trophy Batteries?

@Old_Skewler
This page here tells me all I need to know.
You may get a good laugh.

Post in thread 'Planing to use Victron lynx 1000A Shunt but can only find fuses up to 800A' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...-only-find-fuses-up-to-800a.53881/post-691178
Yes i caught some flake for that post. Blocked that guy. I’m very willing to help or offer an opinion but when the personal attacks start I’m done. On occasion I take the bait and let er rip. Then it’s like a volcanic reaction. Getting testy in my old age.

Yes i caught some flake for that post. Blocked that guy. I’m very willing to help or offer an opinion but when the personal attacks start I’m done. On occasion I take the bait and let er rip.
I read through a few of your comments and most of them are helpful but you appear to have a brand loyalty and strong opinions.

Try 40 cycles or 2 months. But now that I understand the battery BMS, it could be done over a few days.
Could you expand on what you mean here? Do/did you have EG4s and struggled with them? Is that it?

This page here tells me all I need to know.
You may get a good laugh.
Whew... I read it but don't even need to say anything... I came here to ask for HELP and I am not interested in pseudo-help tactics to engage with angry people disguised as helpful beings.

Help is an action for others, not for one self. It is clear to me from his "thirst to be proven wrong" he is more interested in internet action than actually providing any help.

I read through a few of your comments and most of them are helpful but you appear to have a brand loyalty and strong opinions.
Two big issues with me and these forums. #1 it’s usually a Sol Ark bash a thon. Always from those who don’t own them and never will. If you have a point make it but don’t throw around total inaccuracies and complete BS. Be accurate at least. Yes personally I don’t think there is is a better inverter on the market at the moment. That being said @timselectric is not a fan but is a great resource. We agree to disagree on this. Sol Ark isn’t for everyone.

#2 Those ask for help or have a question then spend 10 post’s arguing the point and when they lose the debate launch in with a personal attack or judgement. They know nothing about me.

I really don’t care and I can always dish it out with the best of them. I have zero interest or concern with what anyone does or buys. If you want help or advice I’ll go out of my way. If you start in with personal stuff the gloves come off quickly.

I bought 4 Trophy Batteries about a year ago and they did fine this winter. I have a temperature gauge out there and at times the shed was in the 20's all day. They do not balance between all four and discharge/charge unevenly despite everything I have tried, but that doesn't seem to effect anything and I am overall pleased with them.

For those of you who wonder, they are all connected with 00 gauge cables to a common thick copper busbar. And the battery doing all the "work" changes from time to time..

I have a temperature gauge out there and at times the shed was in the 20's all day.
Do you happen to know whether the built in heating pads were ever engaged?

They do not balance between all four and discharge/charge unevenly despite everything I have tried, but that doesn't seem to effect anything and I am overall pleased with them.
Thanks for the feedback. Could I ask how you determined this planning of balancing? Just by reading SOC on each display?

For those of you who wonder, they are all connected with 00 gauge cables to a common thick copper busbar. And the battery doing all the "work" changes from time to time..
??????

Whew... I read it but don't even need to say anything... I came here to ask for HELP and I am not interested in pseudo-help tactics to engage with angry people disguised as helpful beings.

Help is an action for others, not for one self. It is clear to me from his "thirst to be proven wrong" he is more interested in internet action than actually providing any help.
No you came here to pick a fight. You posted a question that lead me to believe you were trying to choose between EG4 and Trophy. I gave you my reasoning and my opinion. That wasn’t enough for you I guess so then you started in with the personal attacks.

In return I expanded upon my opinion as you requested and asked you to do the same….nothing more except more attacks and attitude.

So please state a case why the EG4 is a better battery buy??

I know I'm going to regret this, but...

So please state a case why the EG4 is a better battery buy??

A small home providing for a small critical loads panel or utility shed where the batteries are always nice and warm and it's communicating with an EG4 inverter. Everything lives in a utility closet and the grid just goes Grid -> EG4 -> Critical Loads so it becomes an overglorified UPS. The EG4's are the cheapest option and buying it as a package and connecting it to your WiFi lets SS troubleshoot any issues it might have remotely.

Something like that would be about the only use case, where the environmental concerns of temperature and weather protection are moot.

I know I'm going to regret this, but...

A small home providing for a small critical loads panel or utility shed where the batteries are always nice and warm and it's communicating with an EG4 inverter. Everything lives in a utility closet and the grid just goes Grid -> EG4 -> Critical Loads so it becomes an overglorified UPS. The EG4's are the cheapest option and buying it as a package and connecting it to your WiFi lets SS troubleshoot any issues it might have remotely.

Something like that would be about the only use case, where the environmental concerns of temperature and weather protection are moot.
Thank you Sir. Point taken and I wouldn’t disagree.

Electronics are the happiest in the same environment as we humans.
So, my entire system has its own room in my house.
Except for the panels, of course.
I don't even charge it rent. But it contributes its part anyway. I'm very happy with my new roommate.
If you went with Victron equipment it would do the dishes, walk the dog, and manage your investment portfolio, right? :LOL:

Back