diy solar

diy solar

Adding different capacity cells to my system.

Darce

I would like to add capacity to my system. I currently have 2 banks of Amy’s 304’s. Those cells are not available at the moment. I was wondering if I added some 280’s running a separate inverter but charged from the same controller as my other two banks and main inverter. Would that work? It would be fed into a second sub panel to take a couple more circuits off grid and add some redundancy to my system.

Would both batteries be fed into the same DC bus?

That’s the only way I’d see one SCC sourcing both batteries.

No, this second battery and its inverter would be independent of the primary batteries and their inverter. I would have to create a branch connection off the SCC to the second battery.

Do you have a drawing of what you’re proposing?

Does your SCC have two outputs?

If the SCC is outputting to two different battery banks, even if they aren’t on the same “bus” wouldn’t they be electrically the same potential?

Do you have a drawing of what you’re proposing?

Does your SCC have two outputs?

If the SCC is outputting to two different battery banks, even if they aren’t on the same “bus” wouldn’t they be electrically the same potential?
I guess thats my main concern. Its a Midnite Classic. There is only one output. I don't know if the power can flow back through the Classic from one battery to the other. It would be cool if there was a "one way valve" so to speak for the current from the Classic. I'll come up with a drawing.

So this doesn’t look like it’ll work. How can I add capacity with lower amp/hr cells?

Back