diy solar

diy solar

Adding EG4 To Victron/BB - Will this work!?

Tried the generator. The input definitely works but it's set to draw too much power. The generator I have goes to 3.3kw and then overloads at it's max.

I'm assuming with the mk3 cable I can program the Victron Quattro to draw less? Is there a way to program it without that cable?

If you have the Cerbo GX and a Touch panel you can set the max input amps. There is also a control panel with limited functionality that can do the same.

Last edited:
If you have the Cerbo GX and a Touch panel you can set the max input amps. There is also a control panel with limited functionality that can do the same

I have the Venus GX I can access the dashboard and remote console from my phone but don't see ways to adjust it on there...

I have the Venus GX I can access the dashboard and remote console from my phone but don't see ways to adjust it on there...
From the remote console -> menu -> Quattro -> input current limit.

Try looking they’re. At least that’s where the setting for my Multiplus are.

You could also in the VRM go to settings -> general -> inverter charger control and enable the toggle. That will then give you a toggle option on the top right corner of your VRM which might give you quick access to the AC current limit as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.png
    IMG_5793.png
    253.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5795.png
    IMG_5795.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 2
Doy that was simple not sure how I missed that. Was set at 30A.

Figure since my generator max wattage on propane is 3000w, I just changed it to 20A which should come in will under my generator max load.

Will test it out in the morning!

Doy that was simple not sure how I missed that. Was set at 30A.

Figure since my generator max wattage on propane is 3000w, I just changed it to 20A which should come in will under my generator max load.

Will test it out in the morning!
Sounds good! I believe I’ve heard that generators run most efficient around 80% load, so 20a should be the sweet spot for you.

With the new generator, I finally got the batteries up to 100% so hopefully now the discharging will equilize. Again the shunt showed me draining them to around 50% but the EG4's still showed over 90% on the comm hub and 4 lights on the SOC indicators.

For winter, the house gets shut down but I do need some power for the internet and cameras and a few very small things. Is it worth leaving all of the batteries on, even if they are only discharging and charging ~5-10% a day and will be in an unheated room (probably between 25-50deg in the winter).

Or is it better to shut them all down and just leave one bank of heated BBs active for the winter?

With the new generator, I finally got the batteries up to 100% so hopefully now the discharging will equilize. Again the shunt showed me draining them to around 50% but the EG4's still showed over 90% on the comm hub and 4 lights on the SOC indicators.
Yeah, still doesn't make sense to me. Seems like there's some resistance somewhere which is drawing more from the BB batteries...at least that's my first thought.

For winter, the house gets shut down but I do need some power for the internet and cameras and a few very small things. Is it worth leaving all of the batteries on, even if they are only discharging and charging ~5-10% a day and will be in an unheated room (probably between 25-50deg in the winter).

Or is it better to shut them all down and just leave one bank of heated BBs active for the winter?
Because the temps drop below freezing, and the LifePo4 chemistry can be damaged if you charge below 32 degrees, I would probably leave the heated batteries on while the rest are around 50% for storage.

Back