diy solar

diy solar

Adding More Panels to My Setup (EG4 6000ex)

wildbillpdx

Solar Enthusiast
Looking for advice on how to add PV panels to my system. I know others have asked similar questions, but I'm still confused.

First some details.

Inverter EG4 6000ex (only one MPPT)
Max PV input 7500w
Max PV Open Voltage 500vdc
Max PV Input current 27a

PV Panels Sanyo HIP-200BA3 (20yrs old) 20 panels/4000watts (output is currently 3076w/242.6v/12.6a)
Pmax 200w
Vmp 55.8v
Imp 3.59a
Voc 68.7
Isc 3.83a
Running as 5s/4p strings for 279v/14.36A/4006.44w (via combiner box)

I want to add another 2kw to 3.5kw of PV panels to max the input on my inverter. I can't match the old panels (I've tried). Looking for suggestions/options for what I can do, without replacing the existing panels. I've found some other panels that might let me do this (REC TwinPeak 370w) but not sure if I can add 6-8 panels since the voltage and amps are different.

Any assistance or input would be greatly appreciated.

You need to match the Vmp for additional strings in parallel.

Look for 72 or 144 cell panels (144 cell will be half cut) with ~50Voc and 40Vmp. 8S will nearly match your existing array.

I was looking at the REC TwinPeaks. Here are the specs...looks like the 370w panels would be a good fit. I assume I'd just add the additional string to a combiner box?

1710627841531.png

You need to match the Vmp for additional strings in parallel.

Look for 72 or 144 cell panels (144 cell will be half cut) with ~50Voc and 40Vmp. 8S will nearly match your existing array.
I got a different response from Signature Solar:

Since there in only one PV input that would not be able to work. You would have to use the same panels or panels with specs that are pretty much the same. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

I got a different response from Signature Solar:

Since there in only one PV input that would not be able to work. You would have to use the same panels or panels with specs that are pretty much the same. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

No. You got a vague and potentially self-serving answer from Signature solar (if they sell your "same panels").

I gave you the rule you need to satisfy to parallel another string on the same MPPT.

Where I screwed up was the count. You need 7S of the REC TwinPeaks 370W panels.

The panels you selected look good.

Old: 5S * 55.8Vmp = 279Vmp
New: 7S * 39.8Vmp = 278.6Vmp

You'll still be under the 27A PV input limit.

No. You got a vague and potentially self-serving answer from Signature solar (if they sell your "same panels").

I gave you the rule you need to satisfy to parallel another string on the same MPPT.

Where I screwed up was the count. You need 7S of the REC TwinPeaks 370W panels.

The panels you selected look good.

Old: 5S * 55.8Vmp = 279Vmp
New: 7S * 39.8Vmp = 278.6Vmp

You'll still be under the 27A PV input limit.
I didn't doubt your answer... :)

I was just amused at the response from SS. Just for the record, NOBODY sells the old panels (I do mean old...20yrs and then some.)

I didn't doubt your answer... :)

Heh... you should have... math fail!

I was just amused at the response from SS. Just for the record, NOBODY sells the old panels (I do mean old...20yrs and then some.)

They kinda said the same thing, but too strongly. The ONLY thing that matters with parallel is Vmp. Nothing else needs to match the existing array. Current can be different, etc.

Back on the hunt for panels. The REC panels I was going to purchase from SS now have a $2,500 shipping fee instead of $200. That makes shipping double the cost of the panels.

Found these (370w) panels. Looks like 8 in series should work (8x34.2v= 273.6v@10.82a):

View attachment 203103
Might want to check this out.
Could always sell the extra and make some of your money back.
~$65 / panel before shipping.

Might want to check this out.
Could always sell the extra and make some of your money back.
~$65 / panel before shipping.

Nice idea, but I can't get a shipping estimate on the website. I'm paying $237 in shipping from SS for the 10 panels.

Nice idea, but I can't get a shipping estimate on the website. I'm paying $237 in shipping from SS for the 10 panels.
I didn't read far enough down the thread before I replied. Rookie mistake 😉.

If you didn't place your order yet there are some great deals here. mSolar look like a great deal.
https://www.inxeption.com/flash-sales/energy

When I ordered my pallet of NE Solar 370W at the end of November I paid ~$150 extra for the lift gate service, freight is free to a commercial address / terminal.

Back