diy solar

diy solar

Sanity Check for EG4 6000EX (my very first system)

wildbillpdx

Solar Enthusiast
Before I turn this thing on, I'd like to get some verification and comfort that my system will work and be safe. I think I've got things under control but would really like to be sure.

I'm still installing pieces but here are the components and the plan:

Sanyo PV Panels: HIP-200BA3
Maximum Power Voltage (Vpm) 55.8 volts
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 68.7 volts
Maximum Power Current (Ipm) 3.59 amps
Configuration: 6S3P
Voltage: 334.8
VOC: 429 volts
Amps: 10.77

EG4 6000EX AIO
(Maximum PV open voltage) 500 vdc
Max. DC Input current / Total Array Amps 27 amps
Max PV Power 7500 watts

PowGrow Combiner box
4 strings
15 amp fuses
Surge protection
50 amp circuit breaker

Siemens Load Center
40 amp breaker to AIO
30 amp breaker to transfer switch
20 amp breaker for additional outlets

Main Panel
40 amp breaker 8/3 romex to AC-In on AIO

Batteries
EG4 LifePower4 x 3 (48v 100ah)

Battery Cut Off Nader DC Circuit Breaker | 60V 200Amp

PV Cut Off IMO DC Disconnect Rooftop Isolator Switch

AC Cutoff smseace Miniature Circuit Breaker Low Voltage AC 40A 400V 2 Poles DIN Rail Installation DZ47-63 C40

Anything stand out as a problem?

Bump for you.

You might also start a new thread with a more specific question as really broad questions tend to get less traffic. Photos would help you a lot too.

EG4 6000EX AIO

Is the Voc quoted for the whole 6s3p array temperature adjusted for your local areas coldest temperature?

I don't know the quality of the breaker, but I would still put a class t fuse. Use the breaker as an on/off switch. I also recommend a smart shunt to measure the battery soc .
Not sure which breaker...if it's the one for the battery it came from Signature Solar. I was following Will's suggestion of using this rather than fuses.

Bump for you.

You might also start a new thread with a more specific question as really broad questions tend to get less traffic. Photos would help you a lot too.
I understand your suggestion. However, I don't have a specific question. Just trying to make sure I haven't made any glaring errors on this. Also, no photos as I'm still installing everything. I wanted to see if there was anything I should change before completing the installation.

A class t fuse is a fool proof safety device that doesn’t add much cost to the system I would not do a 48 volt system without one
This is from Will's 48v Offgrid Solar Power System:

200-300A T-Class Fuse (1X required for each 6500EX. The amazon listing stats that these T-class fuses are rated for 12V only. They are actually rated for 125VDC if you read the data sheet. By design, they could handle more than that. These are high quality fuses that will handle nearly any size LiFePO4 battery): Click Here to Purchase
If you wish to use a 200A Circuit Breaker instead, use this one: Click Here to Purchase

As I said I would not build a 48 volt system without class t fuses they work every time but if you have that same level of confidence in a mechanical breaker go for it

Before I turn this thing on, I'd like to get some verification and comfort that my system will work and be safe. I think I've got things under control but would really like to be sure.

I'm still installing pieces but here are the components and the plan:

EG4 6000EX AIO
Max. DC Input current / Total Array Amps 27 amps
Max PV Power 7500 watts

PowGrow Combiner box
4 strings
15 amp fuses
Surge protection
50 amp circuit breaker

Siemens Load Center
40 amp breaker to AIO
30 amp breaker to transfer switch
20 amp breaker for additional outlets

Main Panel
40 amp breaker 8/3 romex to AC-In on AIO

Batteries
EG4 LifePower4 x 3 (48v 100ah)

Battery Cut Off Nader DC Circuit Breaker | 60V 200Amp

PV Cut Off IMO DC Disconnect Rooftop Isolator Switch

AC Cutoff smseace Miniature Circuit Breaker Low Voltage AC 40A 400V 2 Poles DIN Rail Installation DZ47-63 C40

Anything stand out as a problem?
I am starting to install a very similar system. You may have mentioned it but do you have any kind of overload protection on the pv’s? I saw the disconnect. Maybe the combiner box has this. I don’t have a combiner box so I’m not sure. Just a thought.

I am voting to add a Class T fuse as well. I'm a hypocrite and don't run one myself anymore though.

I now have a 200a DC Circuit breaker for each battery (5 in total), and my inverter has a 250a circuit breaker built into the inputs. Even with my inverter at full tilt, the highest any 1 battery has even seen is only 40a.

I have the SS 200A breakers for my inverters as well, and I use them as a quick battery disconnect (instead of having to turn off 6 individual battery breakers per rack).
However, I also have a slow blow 200A class T fuse right at my main buss in each battery rack to protect my wires before they get to my battery combiner box.

Even with my inverter at full tilt, the highest any 1 battery has even seen is only 40a.
If you have the 5 battery banks in parrallel, that would make sense (since they "share" the current).

Gotcha. Maybe I will do that rather than buy stand alone fuses and breaker. What’s a good cheap reliable, combiner box and where might I get it?
If you want good and reliable go to watts24/7 he sells nice boxes that won’t break the bank but more than amazons cheaper stuff if you go that way do your research

Back