diy solar

diy solar

Adding regulated 12volt output to Kodiak

Frederick_L

I'm noticing that newer solar generators have regulated 12volt output, typically at 13.2volts. The 12volt output on my Inergy Kodiak is not regulated. Apparently the new Inergy Flex system will have regulated 12volt output. Is there an external boost converter I could add to my Kodiak? I ask mainly because I regularly hook my 12volt Dometic refrigerator to my Kodiak. Thanks.

I'm noticing that newer solar generators have regulated 12volt output, typically at 13.2volts. The 12volt output on my Inergy Kodiak is not regulated. Apparently the new Inergy Flex system will have regulated 12volt output. Is there an external boost converter I could add to my Kodiak? I ask mainly because I regularly hook my 12volt Dometic refrigerator to my Kodiak. Thanks.

Is the unregulated 12ish volts a problem for the Dometic?
What is it's lower bound?
You would probably need boost/buck converter and they have big heat sinks for a reason.

Is the unregulated 12ish volts a problem for the Dometic?
What is it's lower bound?
You would probably need boost/buck converter and they have big heat sinks for a reason.
The Dometic frig allows you to select three voltage cutoffs. Dometic assumes you will be running the frig off of a 12 volt car battery. So, you can select at what voltage the Dometic will shutoff so as to not drain your car battery. However, if you use a lithium powered solar generator to power the Dometic frig, you have to select the lowest voltage level because Lithium batteries have a lower standing voltage than lead acid or AGM. This works for the most part, but it would be nice to have regulated output from the Kodiak at the 13.2volts level. I thought maybe there was a boost converter that would fit the bill. Thanks.

The Dometic frig allows you to select three voltage cutoffs. Dometic assumes you will be running the frig off of a 12 volt car battery. So, you can select at what voltage the Dometic will shutoff so as to not drain your car battery. However, if you use a lithium powered solar generator to power the Dometic frig, you have to select the lowest voltage level because Lithium batteries have a lower standing voltage than lead acid or AGM. This works for the most part, but it would be nice to have regulated output from the Kodiak at the 13.2volts level. I thought maybe there was a boost converter that would fit the bill. Thanks.

I think you are saying there is no real problem, confirm?

The limitation is how long you can run the Dometic frig before you hit the voltage cutoff. With a regulated 12volt output of 13.2, you could use all of the power in the solar generator. Update: I just watched Will's review of the Apex (Inergy's successor to the Kodiak). He mentions that the 12volt output is not regulated and can drop below 12volts, which might create problems for 12volt appliances. He then mentions that one way to get around that limitation is to use an AC adapter. So, that would work. Thanks.

Update: I was watching Will's review of the Bluetti and he offhandedly mentioned that you have to spend an extra $40 bucks to get regulated output on the Goalzero units. So I went to the Goalzero web site and lo and behold you can find "YETI LITHIUM 12V REGULATED CABLE" for $40. That's an even better solution. Actually, that's the solution I was looking for. Should work fine with my Kodiak. Problem solved. FYI - you have to watch Will's videos two and three times just to get all of the information he throws out in asides alone.

I have one.
I bought it from a member.
I haven't used it yet.
I also have a 40Amp buck converter, I use with my 48v generator and it is quite usefull.

Question, and total noob here. Would the goal zero regulated cable work on a home built battery from the 12v cable to regulate the voltage? I didn’t know if they were Yeti specific or if a custom solution would work fine? Running 12v fridge.

Follow up, I was able to find the answer somewhere else on this forum but I'll add it here to it might help others. L-Ion batteries run a lower voltage and might dip below the 12v marker to kick off a low voltage cutoff on things like a 12v fridge.

However, SLA and LiFePo4 batteries aren't as affected by this, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Therefore, the Goal Zero cable isn't needed for a LiFePo4 build.

Please correct me if this is wrong.

Follow up, I was able to find the answer somewhere else on this forum but I'll add it here to it might help others. L-Ion batteries run a lower voltage and might dip below the 12v marker to kick off a low voltage cutoff on things like a 12v fridge.

However, SLA and LiFePo4 batteries aren't as affected by this, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Therefore, the Goal Zero cable isn't needed for a LiFePo4 build.

Please correct me if this is wrong.
Correct.

I wonder what the efficiency is of the Goalzero regulator cable? There has to be some loss in there.

I ended up building a LiFePo4 90AH battery for dirt cheap, tossed a Victron Orion-TR 12 | 12 - 18 DC DC Charger, and a PWM solar controller on it. Works like a champ, and no sweat since it's LiFePo4. The Jackery has the regulated.

I would be curious to know if someone has tested, it would be helpful.

Back