diy solar

diy solar

Using Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries to supplement Bluetti Power Stations

Solar User

Hello all,

I am a relative beginner to the solar world but am enjoying the learning process a great deal. I have a question about having several lithium iron phosphate batteries on hand to serve strictly as capacity for recharging some solar power stations (specifically batteries similar to the 12 V Power Queen series to charge Bluetti series power stations). I have used many of the Bluetti Power stations (all sizes) in the past so I am fairly familiar with them. My questions revolve around the idea that I would like to be able to charge the power stations at a relatively decent rate of charge directly from the 12V batteries (DC to DC for best efficiency). I have seen videos where this was done using a boost converter (12V up to 36V) and the charge rate on the bigger Bluetti stations was pretty good (exceeding 400 watts). In an attempt to do this sort of thing, I have several questions:

1) Does anyone make a quality boost converter that would step up 12V to 24V (or better yet 36V) that is plug and play for Bluetti stations? (I guess this would ideally have pre-made leads to go to the battery and then leads that go to MC4 connectors to use for the stations since there are different plug types for different size stations)

2) Is a fuse needed with the boost converter?

3) This may sound silly but how do I charge the batteries? Do I need specific equipment (charger) to plug into an AC wall outlet to charge the batteries? Is there a plug and play setup that would allow me to charge the batteries with solar panels (specifically two or three of the Bluetti PV420 (420 watt) panels in series)? I have done some research and think I would at least need a solar charge controller but not sure about what size I would need or if there are units that have cables already made where I could plug in MC4 connectors directly to the controller.

4) Is there a plug and play device that I could use to monitor the State of Charge of the battery while it is being charged?

5) I have also looked at inverters in case I wanted to run AC directly off the battery and I was not sure if you could/should hook an inverter directly to the battery (is a fuse or other equipment needed to be inline with the inverter)? This is not quite as important as I plan on mainly using the power station inverters for AC applications and mainly want the batteries for less expensive storage capacity but it might be nice to have the option.

The basic idea here would be to solar charge the batteries so that they could be used to charge the power stations (batteries are far less expensive than the add-on Bluetti expansion packs). Thanks in advance for any assistance as I know others may have already done this and probably have answers to some or all of the questions above.

Hi, I'm also new to solar still trying to figure out something similar. I only got one reply for my ? from this forum I saw you got none. I donated $5 for the help. I have two Bluetti EB3A, a Bluetti PV120 solar panel, 52v Ebike solar panel, and two Lifepo4 batteries(20AH & 30AH), Victron solar controller charger 100/15, and a step up buck converter 12v to24v (Working on using the buck converter some way now to boost the 120w panel up) I use one power station as a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for my Cpap. The other for the house, camping, charging drones in the field etc. First I bought a cheap Lifepo4 charger to charge the batteries it didn't work well so I got a better one on Amz. (PacPow 14.6V 20A LiFePO4 Lithium Battery Charger) That's how I charge the two LiFePO4 batteries and take them to charge the Bluettie EB3A batteries when I'm primitive camping. I'm trying to figure how to solar charge these LiFePO4 batteries with my solar panels. (I only got a little help here @ DIY SPF) I've already blown out one power station. READ the inputs and output voltages on the unit. If you exceed any of them like I did. (Solar Input: 200W Max, VOC 12-28VDC/ 8.5A) It will blow completely out (Repair time).

This is something I want to try. I've read that if one has two identical 12v batteries bought at the same time, By wiring them in series will output 24 volts. Then that would be faster charging to the power station. (Check the mfg. specs if the batteries are able to be connected in series or parallel first)

Here are some links that helped me learn a bit more.

I'm still learning
hope this helps good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response @Loneeagler. I was a bit surprised that I did not get more feedback from this forum but I am also new to using it so there may be something I missed. I have gotten more feedback by posting questions to the Bluetti Community Forum and that has helped a bit. I can tell you what I have done so far - I was able to successfully hook up 2 of the 12.8V batteries in series and run a 24V cigarette lighter socket to charge a couple of my smaller Bluetti stations. They charged at around 199 watts, which is what I expected (apparently the Bluetti stations limit power to 8 amps when on 12 or 24 volts to protect car cigarettle lighters). The cigarette lighter socket has a 10 amp blade fuse inline right now and nothing got hot so I think that setup is going to work well to supplement my Bluetti stations. Once you connect the batteries in series to get 36 or 48 volts, the bigger Bluetti stations will charge at the full 15 amps so that would be nice to have that ability but don't do that on the smaller ones as they cannot accept that high voltage.

A couple of questions that I still have:

I would like to monitor the state of charge on the batteries so I purchased a Victron SmartShunt. However, I realized that the SmartShunt bolts are M10 size and the Ring terminals on my cigarette lighter socket are only M8. Is there any way to use an adapter to keep the M8 Ring terminal on the lighter socket but get it to hook up the M10 bolt (without removing and replacing the Ring terminal)? I thought about adding a bus bar in between but I was not sure how to find a quality bus bar that would allow me to connect the M8 Ring terminal to it while connecting the shunt on the other side. Can anyone point me in the direction of a bus bar?

On another note, I am still planning to build a cable that would allow me to connect the bigger Bluetti stations via MC4 connectors to 4 of the batteries in series (48V). I would like to put a fuse/circuit breaker inline but was not sure where to find a good one. I am thinking it would not have to be very big as I am planning on using smaller gauge wire (thinking that Bluetti stations won’t pull more than 15 amps from the battery). Does anyone have a recommendation on a fuse?

Thanks again for any input.

Here are some links that helped me learn a bit more.

I'm still learning
hope this helps good luck.

The setup/build on the video by @BradCagle with the 100Ah battery and 1200W inverter be enough to run a 5A circular saw?

I also have the EB3A and use my 100W solar panel to charge when the sun is out.

thanks.

Back