diy solar

diy solar

Solar + Batteries to Supplement Grid

JasonLesterHill

Is there a name for a system that uses solar + batteries to supplement an AC circuit without ever putting energy onto the grid.

I'd like to use solar OR the grid to charge the batteries each day and then feed any usage off the batteries/inverter as much as possible, falling back to grid power when the demand exceeds the capacity of the inverter or the batteries are drained.

I'd follow Will's advice and buy as big of an inverter as I can afford, then add server rack batteries and solar solar to balance average daily usage, investing over time.

Ideally I would avoid using power at peak prices for a subset or circuits in the house.

What equipment would be necessary for such a system.

Is there a name for a system that uses solar + batteries to supplement an AC circuit without ever putting energy onto the grid.

I'd like to use solar OR the grid to charge the batteries each day and then feed any usage off the batteries/inverter as much as possible, falling back to grid power when the demand exceeds the capacity of the inverter or the batteries are drained.

I'd follow Will's advice and buy as big of an inverter as I can afford, then add server rack batteries and solar solar to balance average daily usage, investing over time.

Ideally I would avoid using power at peak prices for a subset or circuits in the house.

What equipment would be necessary for such a system.
You want an off grid AIO.
Preferably stackable, for future expansion.

What you described is called a "self consumption" vs. grid-tie, NET metering system.
Being in So. Cal. you are no doubt looking to reduce consumption between 4 and 9pm weekdays. As timselectric pointed out an off-grid All-in-One will allow you to use both solar and/or the built in charger to replenish your batteries during off peak time. These inverters also have clock settings that allow Time of Use programming to tell the inverter when to switch back and forth from grid to battery power.

A critical loads subpanel would be installed and the subset of circuits would be moved to the subpanel.

What they said ? I'd also suggest Solar Assistant to automate the switch

What you described is called a "self consumption" vs. grid-tie, NET metering system.
Being in So. Cal. you are no doubt looking to reduce consumption between 4 and 9pm weekdays. As timselectric pointed out an off-grid All-in-One will allow you to use both solar and/or the built in charger to replenish your batteries during off peak time. These inverters also have clock settings that allow Time of Use programming to tell the inverter when to switch back and forth from grid to battery power.

A critical loads subpanel would be installed and the subset of circuits would be moved to the subpanel.
Any recommendations.... Would a 6000XP from EG4 handle this... does it have the software settings to automatically route power from the grid directly to loads when the demand arises?

I believe it does have the necessary clock settings to do what you need. Most of the widely used AIO's do have this feature. Solar assistant is a good choice also. Before deciding on a particular brand or model number it would be an excellent idea to read the datasheets for a variety of products. You can read online or download the manuals for MPP Solar, Growatt, EG4 and other brands. Keep in mind some inverters are 120V only unless you stack 2 units and some may have grid feedback features that you don't need or wish to pay for. Its really worth the time to investigate.

Back