diy solar

diy solar

Adding solar to an existing gas backup generator system

mran

Hi,

I am entirely new to this. I've searched the forum for this topic but haven't found anything. I want to add solar to my existing system which already has a gas generator and transfer switch; I want the setup to be an off-grid setup. Is this something that is feasible without recreating the wheel and wouldn't require manual intervention?

Thank you for your patience and help.

Mark

It's a saying:

"reinvent the wheel​

To do something in a wholly and drastically new way, often unnecessarily."

Manual intervention - without having to manually transfer power (instead of automatic transfer switch)

So no one has, or knows of anyone, who wants to add solar to a house with an existing backup generator?

I've been following @Will Prowse for a very long time. I'm finally reading to take his advice but now I can't get an answer on this. Will, can you please respond?

Probably going to need more info on what you want to do here. Are you wanting a system to backup the whole house when the power is off? Or do you want the system to run every day? Whole house? Just critical loads? There is a lot of information lacking here. There are a million ways to skin this cat as they say......

In the simplest terms, yes. If you've already got a generator interfacing with your electrical system there is likely a plug or junction box. There are a couple ways you can do this:

1: Wire in a transfer switch at said plug/J-Box, one end to generator, the other to inverter output/solar system. Use one or the other at a time.

2: Build a solar system to replace the generator and wire the generator output to the AC input of your chargeverter/AIO/whatever system. If it has auto-start feature even better. When the solar is powering everything the power comes from the panels & batteries and when the batteries get depleted the generator fires up and powers the loads while charging the batteries. If you get an AIO or inverter/charger that talks to a remote start on the generator you don't have to do anything to bring it online.

Simple in concept, only a little complicated in execution and legal/code/hoops.

Last edited:
There are many inverters (all-in-one or component systems) that will send a 2-wire signal to start a generator depending on battery SoC and sometimes time of day. Your biggest problem is too many choices.

I have SMA Sunny Island & Sunny Boy, but I use it as grid-backup. It could have had a generator for input instead.

Other top names to consider include Midnight, Schneider, Outback, Victron, SolArk.
There are other lower-cost brands, some sold and supported in the US, some shipped from overseas.
EG4, MPP, many others.

As B-Mod says, have to determine what you want it to do to size the system.

Batteries are the biggest deal. You may want to select a lithium battery with BMS that talks to inverter, although some systems operate open-loop, just based on voltage limits. Some people still use lead-acid. It is simpler, tolerant of cold, but less efficient, shorter lived unless oversize, and may cost more up front.

You would want usable battery capacity to at least last through one night. If you also have grid, that is likely plenty, maybe even get by with smaller battery. If no grid, you may want enough battery for 3 days without sun. Or, since you have generator, use that any time sun is insufficient.

PV itself is pretty cheap, so oversizing PV array minimizes use of generator, and can even keep battery full later in the day so a bit less capacity needed to make it through the night.

You can probably spend anywhere from $1500 to $15,000 or more, so important to figure out how much capacity you need and want. And chose between cheapest available vs. those with the best reputation. e.g. some people still use a Trace inverter system they bought 30 years ago (that product line has evolved into Schneider, and the engineers are now at Midnight.)

Back