diy solar

diy solar

Adhering Flexible Panels

Capebuild

I'm installing 2 flexible panels on the roof of a teardrop trailer (surface is aluminum). I have 2 questions I need a little guidance.

1) Is it necessary to leave a small air gap under the panels?

2) I was going to use Sikaflex 252 to adhere the panels. But then started thinking about using VHB tape (which I suppose would leave a bit of an air gap). Any thoughts on all this?

Thank you for the help.

From what I understand, those panels are meant to be mounted directly to the surface. I think you could still use VHB tape, as long as you put it all the way around all of the edges (and fill some of the center as well) leaving no gap for air to get underneath. Also, on any panel secured on public roadways, you need either a tether or a couple of hard mounted screws, just in case it does fly off.

Panels output will drop the greater their temperature is allowed to get. It is a trade off call for the application.

Issue with flexible panels is the front plastic laminate is exposed to UV of sun which breaks down the polymer plastic over time. If the surface coating clouds up after long UV exposure it attenuates illumination to PV cells. This white milky clouding is typical for clear plastics when exposed to UV light, like what happens to car headlight covers.

Other issue is panels are flexible, to a point. The actual silicon cells are normal cells just lapped very thin. Like thin glass, the cells are flexible, up to the point they crack in half. You have to be careful of a gust of wind while holding them does not cause a sudden sharp bend in panel. If a corner bends up while driving down the highway it will likely crack a cell. Keep away from kids and dogs.

Back