diy solar

diy solar

(Advice) EARLY stage / looking if it's possible

TacoMeat

Woohoo fresh idiot meat here, try not to destroy me TOO bad.

So these are my EARLY thoughts on possible system at a 10,000ft view point.

Things I know - We use a TON of power, I've been able to go back and track my monthly usage since April 2022, sadly my power company (Xcel Colorado) doesn't have anything before that. We currently have a 15 panel 4kw Enphase system on the roof with a PPA, they want 13.5k to buy it out, which will happen at some point but we're not at that point yet as I have plenty of roof space.

We have 2 EVs - Model X and R1T -

Last 2 years power usage (Grid + 4kw system)
2022/2023 - 32,535
2022/2023 Monthly Average - 2711
2022/2023 Daily Average - 90
2023/2024 - 31,383
2022/2023 Monthly Average - 2615
2023/2024 Daily Average - 87

Over the past 2 years our TOU monthly average is:
On-Peak - 192
Mid-Peak - 55
Off-Peak - 1979

I know that a good chunk of the off-peak will be the EVs but we also do most of our laundry drying during off-peak time, run AC in the summer at a lower temperature etc. We also have 3 full size Fridge/Freezer, stand alone Fridge and stand alone freezer and a small drinks fridge, plus networking gear, semi large NAS, 2 Dell Servers (on demand, most of the time in a powered off / standby state), multiple computers + multiple monitors, tankless water heater with recirculation pump, etc I suppose the normal things.

So with SOME of that data I've tried to figure out what I think (but I'm not kidding myself, I'm pretty sure I'm missing a TON of things)

What would I like to accomplish
  • 100%+ cover usage
  • 80% - 100% cover night time summer usage
  • Be able to handle AC starts, compressors
  • Possible to leave this 4kw array alone - it's just a 20amp breaker into main panel.
  • modular build out
    • Phase 1 - EG4s + Batteries - Run off batteries during "Mid / On-Peak"
    • Phase 2 - 1st West or East array
    • Phase 3 - 2nd West or East array
    • Phase 4 - Remove other array / tie it into built system once I own it
  • Needs to work / Not be insane as someday I'll want to move
  • Monitoring - hopefully at panel level
  • Q2/Q3 2025 rollout of Phase 1 / 2
  • ROI LOL
The idea I have is along the thought process of a mirror, one side mirrors the other.
  • 2x EG4 18kpv (parallel) - Would like the 100amp out between the two - afraid if I did one it would just have too high of a load for too long. (Means combiner boxes etc) - Also these units SEEM loud during higher loads, running two should lower it so the fans are not as loud (unknown to that)
  • 2x Power Plus indoor batteries, easy to add another in the future - just need to get through night. *Not charging cars*
  • ~24kw solar array 60 x 400w panels (East 12kw / West 12kw) - I have room to play with this, but the idea would be the East array would go into EG4 #1 and the West array would go into EG4 #2 - PVWatts Calculator gets me into the ballpark.
  • It seems Xcel will allow 120% or 200% oversize of PV, I'm looking to only do slightly over, money doesn't grow on trees and I have yet to win the lottery.
  • Change out of current EV chargers to something that understand excess solar -> send to car
  • Greenlancer Service - Have someone who does this for a living, I'll just be the guy to put it together
  • Have a license (someone) consult / double check work before inspection / initial power on

Like I said I know I've missed about a million things and then some, this is just a high level view. Working to acquire more data around usage but can't get CTs onto meter yet - hope to get that fixed this summer.

Not my house but same buildout w/ solar
Screenshot 2024-06-05 111718.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are any of your range, oven, or water heater electric?

High continuous load is one thing, just need more solar more battery, but higher peak loads especially from the three demons above pose their own challenge.

We have a dual oven, range is gas, furnace is gas and water heater is gas tankless - so needs power to turn on then a normal 30amp dryer.

Wife LOVES to cook / bake etc... I'll walk upstairs and she'll be like "oh I wanted bread / muffins / cookies / something else, so I made some from scratch"

Servers have a 30amp drop / UPS system.

diy solar

diy solar
Back