diy solar

diy solar

Advice on off grid cabin setup.

No Man is an Island

SHTF Scenario & Humans ??

We Homo Sapiens have lived in society, industry, & science for so long we are not self sufficient & Solar won’t save your life long term. What I mean by that is unless you have the knowledge & ability to “produce” you own solar products (including mining the raw resources), you will not be “self sufficient” long term. To think otherwise is pandering to ego.

SHTF Times ,,, We need each other even more than the Good Times. Choose your “Wolf Pack” wisely.

Just my 2 cents worth opinion on SHTF.
I couldn't agree with that more.
I only have bullet in my gun..

I have a Van & a Cabin that both run on 12vdc, no inverter, & Propane.

A 20lb propane tank holds as much energy as 116 100 Ah lithium batteries.

So if Ya got Sun & no problems harvesting it then you can ditch the propane, but keep in mind that if you delete propane out of your system you need 116 full cycles of a 100Ah battery.

We get our 20lb size tanks filled for about $15 CAN.

What does 116 full cycles cost in “life” out of a 100Ah lithium ?

Batteries are just a “energy storage tank” that has to be replaced after a limited amount of use ,,, just like a $40 propane tank has to be replaced after 10 years.

We get by with minimal 12vdc use because we have propane. Look @ the RV Industry & how many are fully electric & no propane.

I don’t like propane fridges as I think the 12vdc are very efficient & can be generally be supplied energy by solar. Not cheap, but reduces the inverter need / energy required ,,, standby & efficiency.

All uses & situations are different, so the OP needs to sort that out & the best way to do that is via knowledge ,,, knowing a 20lb tank = 116 batteries might be a gem of info to help make the decision.
OP has to transport propane on boat to get to cabin. PIA. Much easier to transport battery once a season.

No Man is an Island

SHTF Scenario & Humans ??

We Homo Sapiens have lived in society, industry, & science for so long we are not self sufficient & Solar won’t save your life long term. What I mean by that is unless you have the knowledge & ability to “produce” you own solar products (including mining the raw resources), you will not be “self sufficient” long term. To think otherwise is pandering to ego.

SHTF Times ,,, We need each other even more than the Good Times. Choose your “Wolf Pack” wisely.

Just my 2 cents worth opinion on SHTF.
I dont need to be totally self sufficient forever. I just need to outlast the mob. Obviously there is a lot more needed than just having a little electricity.

On occasion, I watch prepper videos. My first thought is these people are all going to die.

On occasion, I watch prepper videos. My first thought is these people are all going to die.
We are all going to die, it's just when,where and how...who wants to live in a world where they have to worry about someone stealing your can opener..?

OP has to transport propane on boat to get to cabin. PIA. Much easier to transport battery once a season.

True ,,, My point was “If” you do not have enough Sunlight / Solar for “All Things Heat” ,,, Then what will the OP do?

Maybe he has a wood stove & loads of wood ,,, I don’t know.

Also depends upon an individual’s definition of PITA ,,, I personally think just having to take a boat to get to a cabin is a PITA.

So, looping back to my orginal post.

Based on what people have said.
  • Growatt SPF 3000LVM 24V - Max 2000W solar panels - I am paying for a cheap price of the Growatt by having high no load consumption on the inverter, so if I can turn off the inverter overnight that will be a big power savings.
  • 4x 395W Q.Cell panels in two strings of two - Total 1580W, I believe it works out to roughly 74W @ 21a - Probably would be good if I can max out the capacity of my charge controller at 2000W of solar panels. Will look into this, but right now I have 2s2p giving me about 73W@21a. I have two spare 270W panels that I could add as a third string which would give me roughly 60V@30a (1800W) if I am doing my math correctly, which loses some efficiency but overall higher power production.
  • Raspberry Pi running Solar-Assistant connected to the batteries via 24V-5V buck converter pulling data from the Growatt - It works and gives me nice graphs and numbers with minimal power draw, all good here.
  • In the process of swapping out the battery banks with a single Volthium 24V 200aH self heating lithium battery - Should be good enough if I can minimise my overnight power draw by switching my fridge to 24vdc and turning off the inverter overnight. Basically the battery is mainly to keep the fridge running.
  • I am currently using propane for 2 burner cooktop, BBQ and old Bosch in-line water heater, and a old wood cookstove for heat and cooking in the spring and fall, so I am using a mix of solar, propane, and wood already.
  • I have a small gas generator as a failsafe for my solar power.
- To do
  • Switch fridge to a 24vdc unit so I can turn off the inverter when there isn't any other loads, both overnight and when nobody is at the island but we want to keep fridge running.
  • Get composting toilet fan on a timer or photocell switch so that it only runs during the day, or better yet only when the sun is shining.
  • Refresh my power usage calculations for current and future plans.
Thanks for the input.

Also, yes taking a boat to get to the cabin is a PITA but so far it is worth it. It is an island with only one other cabin on it owned by another set of friends. Often have three families, six kids, four dogs on the island.

Yeah, I went into it full well knowing that the biggest challenge will likely be the dynamics of co-owning the property.

Remote is relative. An hour drive from home, and then short boat ride to the cottage on an island. Because it is an island, the hope is to limit how much stuff we haul on and off the island, which is why we hope to use the low power fridge instead of hauling propane tanks. Although we mostly cook on propane. The island only has two cottages on it, with friends owning the other cottage and have had a composting toilet for about 8 years without a problem. We only use the cottage in the summer, Canadian winter isn't an issue for the composting toilets.

I bought the Growatt basically for simplicity and after reading a few good reviews, but if there are any suggestions on a better option I am all ears. The system ran all last summer without any problems, and was only this year that the old lead acid batteries started to fail and I am trying to swap out the big lead acid banks with the single 5kWh lithium.

I have been using Solar-Assistant to monitor my solar power generation and battery use, and on average my daily solar power produced is greater than my daily load, so other than the odd cloudy day I am running everything off solar, with excess charging the batteries during the day. The inverter is a relatively big draw to run all the time, but basically it comes down to keeping the fridge running 24/7. Between the two families we are pretty much up at the cottage at least very weekend, so pretty much from when we open up in the spring until shutdown in the fall we keep the fridge fairly stocked with stuff so we aren't taking a load of food in and out every time we go.
We are the same. 2 hour drive, haul our crap down a hill, onto a boat, then to cabin.
Also, yes taking a boat to get to the cabin is a PITA but so far it is worth it. It is an island with only one other cabin on it owned by another set of friends. Often have three families, six kids, four dogs on the island.
How old are you?
the wonderful boat access cabin will become less fun as you age.
ask me how I know, lol.

not meaning to ruin your parade, and admiringly I don’t have the support of an up and coming family.
unless your oozing money, cabins (especially remote ones) are a human pyramid scheme to keep them going.

I don’t have that. I do have a useless unemployed BIL that basically lives there full time using everything and not contributing.

in case I didn’t say it, never own a cabin with anyone other than yourself

Hey, If You like it when You are There ,,, Then it is Worth it ?.

Sounds like your energy use / needs are similar to my Cabin use. Going with a 24 vdc Fridge & then only turning on the inverter when you need it will save you all that “inverter standby” electricity ?.

Our Natures Head composting toilet only uses 80Wh per day

IMG_2825.jpeg

Here is an example of a “Van” Load Chart ,,, something similar might be a spreadsheet that would work if you don’t have one;

IMG_2832.jpeg

The “PITA” Factor ,,, Funny, I live on an Island & my Cabin is on the Mainland. I have to take a Ferry & drive for 5 hours to get there ,,, Or 1hr 40min flight?;

IMG_5067.jpeg

Back