diy solar

diy solar

Advice on setting up two 6000xp and 8 eg4-ll 48

Leemaisel

Good morning!

I have two 6000xp, 8 eg4-LL 48v batteries, and two panel arrays. The panels are only 4kw total, but voltage exceeds MPPT input, so it’s split.

I had planned to put both arrays on the two MPPT on the master inverter, and same with batteries.

Does it make more sense to divide equally between inverters?

If so, will the power coming from the panels aggregate and charge both battery banks equally? Will both battery banks feed both inverters equally?

Which is a better way of doing this?

Thank you!

Does it make more sense to divide equally between inverters?
Yes
It's more efficient to go from PV to loads, rather than from PV to battery to loads.
If so, will the power coming from the panels aggregate and charge both battery banks equally? Will both battery banks feed both inverters equally?
Yes, if everything is connected together correctly. (One battery bank)

Yes
It's more efficient to go from PV to loads, rather than from PV to battery to loads.

Yes, if everything is connected together correctly. (One battery bank)
I’m confused. Divided equally OR one battery bank attached to one of the inverters? As I understand it, you’re saying that I should make one battery bank and connect it to both inverters, and split the PV between inverters?
So one string to one MPPT input on one inverter, and also the second.

I will be doubling my PV capacity Soon, so I can just use the second MPPT input on both inverters for those two strings, correct?

Last edited:
Best model would be to set all batteries into a common bank (all 48v batteries wired in parallel).
The bank is then connected to both of the 6000XP AIO units.
This allows both of the AIO units to charge the bank, and to draw from the bank.

To start with, each of the 6000XP should be connected to one string (MPPT-1 inputs), so that each of the 6000XP can make power from solar/PV. As Tim says, this gains a few points in terms of efficiency.

Then as you get more panels, you can connect the new strings to the MPPT-2 on each of the 6000XP.

If your strings a matched (same # and model of PV panels) then you're good.
Per the 6000XP manual, if you have one/two larger strings, these should connect to the first 6000XP (master).

Everything, except PV is in parallel. Grid, Load, and Batteries. All the inverters see the same thing.

A case can be made to put all the PV on the Master inverter: Let's say the peak load is seasonal (AC during the Summer). During the off-season, you can turn off the slave inverter and save the stand-by power.

During the winter, I don't exceed 5kW for my house, unless I run the electric oven and dryer at the same time (which is really rare). A little planning, or trip to the basement to turn on the 2nd inverter.

Back