diy solar

diy solar

12kw Off Grid System EG4 6000XP Inverter

JBoffgrid2022

Hello All,
I'm having some difficulties figuring out my solar panel layout and wiring configuration for my new system. First, how do I equally separate my 18 panels into 4 groups so I can tie them into two separate inverters? My first thought was to have one group of 4 and one group of 5 going into inverter #1, then one group of 4 and one group of 5 going into inverter #2. I'm shying away from this method because if my ambient temp drops to -20F (Which it does at my location) the temperature drop coefficient would push my voltage dangerously close to the 480volt max input on my inverter. If I have messed this calculation up, please let me know:)

My other option would be to make 4 groups of 4 (16 total) and leave the remaining 2 panels for backups. I guess my question is really revolving around how I should wire these panels while keeping in mind the optimum voltage of 320v and 17a per inverter. The inverter has two separate PV inputs but I'm not sure if each input is rated at 17 amps or 34 amps.

My other question is how I will safely bring four separate strings to my inverters. I would like to have a D/C isolator switch close to my panels on the roof, then bring my four PV strings to the inverter. That way I can keep the power off until I want to turn the system on and power the inverters. Any input is greatly appreciated!
-Jack B.
Maine

System Specs:
-18 x SunPower 450w Mono Solar Panels

-2 x EG4 (Parallel) 6000XP Split Phase Inverter All in one

-4 x EG4 LifePower4 Lithium Battery 48V / 100AH

Sorry, I want to correct myself on the temperature drop / voltage increase comment above.

I originally wanted to have only two strings of 9 panels (18 total) but the calculation I came to was 542v per string at -20F. This is also assuming I will be wiring all 9 panels in series.

4s2p to one inverter 207v 22 amps
5s2p to the other inverter 260v 22amps

I'm assuming your roof angle will not give you the optimum angle to get max PV production so the 22 amps figure will be higher than you will actually see and that is the short circuit value, not the actual value of 20.4 amps.

So at peak hours you'll be slightly above the 17 amps for a short time period and the inverter can handle it.

I'm sure there are other ways to configure what you have, maybe someone else can chime in.

Back