diy solar

diy solar

Aliexpress 1000Ah LiFePO4 batteries-risk or value?

solarstuff

I am not sure I can source the parts or trust my workmanship on this excellent 'DIY 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 Solar Battery for $555' by DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse.

But I found this page on aliexpress at about same priceScreenshot_2020-07-18_17-21-29.png. Does anyone know any of the companies to be trustworthy? Are their products worth it?

No specific advice other than that there is always some risk in buying batteries from alibaba or aliexpress, particularly if you do not know the reputation of the seller/manufacturer. BLS and Deligreen are sellers that people on this forum have purchased from, I don't recall hearing anything negative about either.

If you are considering buying from aliexpress one of your concerns with the DIY route (not being able to source the parts) is a non-issue, and the remaining concern is whether you trust yourself to build it (a little daunting, I know, but really not too complex).

I probably have looked at most battery packs on alibaba and after reading mixed reviews varying from the battery did not match the advertised capacity, to the battery is good, and everything in between I have decided to build my own pack. Why? I like doing that sort of thing. But more importantly is that I will know what batteries I have, what BMS I have and know my wire connections and all are good. And I can customize everything the way I want it.

Recently someone complained of a tiny bit of battery leakage through the cell vents. He bought the cells from a reputable vendor (BLS) and when the vendor was asked about the leakage they said the leakage was normal and would go away after 10 cycles or so. We know any cell venting of any type is not normal. Now that vendor did eventually agree to replace the faulty cell....but they tried to get out of it by saying the leakage was normal. So moral of the story even with reputable vendors one has to be careful and sometimes persistent.

Lastly one should always be polite when dealing with the Chinese from placing to receiving the order. If there is a problem on delivery contact the seller and be polite. Chances are good they will want to resolve the problem as they want to keep their reputation. But there will always be some bad apples.

Back