diy solar

diy solar

Finding a LiFePO4 Power Charger That Will Actually Work?

reederm

Per Will's suggestion from videos a few years ago, I am using an Ampere Time 12V 100Ah battery to power my home office during power outages:

I have been wholly unable -- over the past two years -- to find a charger that is reliable.

The original charger from Ampere Time lasted for about 6 months then died.

I have run through 3 power supplies from Aliexpress since then that have all died in 1 to 6 months.

Can someone please suggest a 14.6V 10A or 20A LiFePO4 Battery Charger that ACTUALLY WORKS??

I am very tired of buying new chargers and this is making the whole battery back-up project more of a hassle than is worth it.

I am not using a solar array -- I am merely keeping a battery system running that can keep my home office operational when the power grid dies temporarily.

Thanks,
Michael

Anything *not* from AliExpress will probably work just fine.

Amazon has been a winner for me. Just read the reviews and you’ll know what to steer clear from.

I have been using a victron 12/30amp charger. Works great, lots of settings, easy to adjust. even has a predefined lithium spec.

are you sure lithiums are a good fit for your need? keeping lithium batteries fully charge for an outage seems like a disaster. How many outages do you see?

Anything *not* from AliExpress will probably work just fine.

Amazon has been a winner for me. Just read the reviews and you’ll know what to steer clear from.
dmkjr -- This makes sense and is likely my next move.

That said, its not quite that simple. Most (all?) of these power supplies are made in China. As an example, here is a unit that is fairly well-regarded on Amazon although short on reviewers:

ECO-WORTHY 12V 20A Lithium LifePO4 Battery Charger

This same company (ECO-WORTHY) is for sale on Aliexpress at lower prices. Is there any reason to expect that a higher quality control process is utilized for the ones on Amazon? Lots of the other power supplies appear to be the same, just with different company logo stickers.

The obvious thing for me to do is to pick one off Amazon with MANY MORE sales and reviews -- which I will likely do, but I'm trying to get a unit with the metal loop connectors rather than clips. Would prefer not to splice on my own loops, but I guess I could do so.

Any particular brands on Amazon that you like?

Thanks,
Michael

I have been using a victron 12/30amp charger. Works great, lots of settings, easy to adjust. even has a predefined lithium spec.

are you sure lithiums are a good fit for your need? keeping lithium batteries fully charge for an outage seems like a disaster. How many outages do you see?

Thanks for the Victron recommendation -- I will check out that brand.

No, not sure Lithiums are the best solution (although that's what I've got). Are you thinking lead acid batteries?

I have a timer set-up so my lithium battery gets cycled a few times per week since apparently they need that for optimum health.

I only anticipate needing the battery backup a few times per year.

Thanks,
Michael

dmkjr -- This makes sense and is likely my next move.

That said, its not quite that simple. Most (all?) of these power supplies are made in China. As an example, here is a unit that is fairly well-regarded on Amazon although short on reviewers:

ECO-WORTHY 12V 20A Lithium LifePO4 Battery Charger

This same company (ECO-WORTHY) is for sale on Aliexpress at lower prices. Is there any reason to expect that a higher quality control process is utilized for the ones on Amazon? Lots of the other power supplies appear to be the same, just with different company logo stickers.

The obvious thing for me to do is to pick one off Amazon with MANY MORE sales and reviews -- which I will likely do, but I'm trying to get a unit with the metal loop connectors rather than clips. Would prefer not to splice on my own loops, but I guess I could do so.

Any particular brands on Amazon that you like?

Thanks,
Michael
I would say if money was not an object, Victron would have my vote. Victron, to me, has been the Rolls Royce. I have all Victron in my motor home.

Thanks for the Victron recommendation -- I will check out that brand.

No, not sure Lithiums are the best solution (although that's what I've got). Are you thinking lead acid batteries?

I have a timer set-up so my lithium battery gets cycled a few times per week since apparently they need that for optimum health.

I only anticipate needing the battery backup a few times per year.

Thanks,
Michael
yes they have batteries designed for your application. they are always kept on a float charge. I believe they are telecom batteries. They are probably used in UPS as well. Lead acid loves being full.

I unfortunately don't have any recommendations. I do see them for sale on facebook marketplace.

Victron IP22 12/15 or 12/30 would be my recommendation. Totally configurable via Bluetooth with Victron Connect phone app. 5 year warranty. Available on Amazon but make it's being sold by inverterrus or another reputable dealer.

Also available from current connected and they have reputation for great after sales support if needed.

Back