diy solar

diy solar

All in one inverter

Radtech

I’m looking at getting an AIO to run my off the grid cabin. The cabin is only used on weekends during the spring summer and fall months and completely shut down during the winter. I understand that the AIO uses idle consumption. So my question is since the cabin is only used two or three days a week can I just turn off the AIO when I’m not there in order to alleviate the idle consumption problem?
Possibly looking at getting the MPP LV 2424 all in one.

can I just turn off the AIO when I’m not there in order to alleviate the idle consumption problem?
Yes, but that also removes the possibility of recharging the batteries from solar, while it's off.

You can turn off the Inverter off using the ON/OFF switch on the MPP Solar, the current draw will be <100mA (on my LV1012), the Solar charging function will still work.
I wasn't sure if solar charger would work in the off position on that one.
Thanks

You can turn off the Inverter off using the ON/OFF switch on the MPP Solar, the current draw will be <100mA (on my LV1012), the Solar charging function will still work.
I’m assuming the LV 2424 would be the same?
So it allows the batteries to charge but not overcharge. Correct.

I’m assuming the LV 2424 would be the same?
So it allows the batteries to charge but not overcharge. Correct.
My 1012 is just the 12V vesion of the 2424, but only 1000W inverter and for 12V system.
You can easily verify that function of the charger with the inverter on/ff switch in the off position, that is how I run my unit since I use the external 3000W inverter instead to run load with high in rush current.

My 1012 is just the 12V vesion of the 2424, but only 1000W inverter and for 12V system.
You can easily verify that function of the charger with the inverter on/ff switch in the off position, that is how I run my unit since I use the external 3000W inverter instead to run load with high in rush current.
What are your thoughts on the mpp aio. I also looked at the 1012 but thought I should go bigger. But overall are you satisfied with mpp.

I have two of them, the first one I bought in 2020 is PIP-1012LV-MS (40A Solar charging and 20A utility charging), it is my first system with 4 100W panels I made after watching Will's video about this unit, I use this one in the garage to run washing machine and gas furnace, etc.
In 2021 I bought PIP-1012LV-MK (80A Solar charging, 60A utility charging) when I add more Solar panels and 280Ah battery packs, I use this one with 3000W inverter to be able to run my fridge, computer, lights, audio equipment, etc.
I use both of them everyday so far so good, there is little quirk about charging with Solar and Utility at the same time, I had to disconnect Solar first then apply AC to AC input then it will start charging from AC, then I will connect Solar back on then I can charge the batteries fast with two sources at the same time, I only do this during winter time since I do not get enough Sun to charge batteries.
I have no idea how long it will last but I will find out.

I have two of them, the first one I bought in 2020 is PIP-1012LV-MS (40A Solar charging and 20A utility charging), it is my first system with 4 100W panels I made after watching Will's video about this unit, I use this one in the garage to run washing machine and gas furnace, etc.
In 2021 I bought PIP-1012LV-MK (80A Solar charging, 60A utility charging) when I add more Solar panels and 280Ah battery packs, I use this one with 3000W inverter to be able to run my fridge, computer, lights, audio equipment, etc.
I use both of them everyday so far so good, there is little quirk about charging with Solar and Utility at the same time, I had to disconnect Solar first then apply AC to AC input then it will start charging from AC, then I will connect Solar back on then I can charge the batteries fast with two sources at the same time, I only do this during winter time since I do not get enough Sun to charge batteries.
I have no idea how long it will last but I will find out.
How do you add the 3000w inverter. I’m new to all this. How is it wired to the aio?

I connect it to the battery, my max load is only about 700 ~ 800W, but the surge is a little over 3000W (I paid $275 for it, it is ReliabePower brand, bought in 2020) when the compressor starts up, my fridge is 25 cu.ft 1996.

The 1012LV's are pretty nice overall and very dependable, mine runs 24/7. I've only had one issue with mine, that baffled me for a few days. I was getting a voltage drop of about .4 V- .6 V from the AIO compared to the Victron Smart Shunt/bat terminals. Did the usual Meter testing (Battery, cables, etc), turns out the mounting point for the battery cables on the AIO is a compression insert as opposed to maybe a std type threaded Heli coil. Long story short, it came loose from the input rail and was causing a V Drop at that point. I reached out to Ian (Watts24/7-very helpful support) who gave me a tip to drill it through the back and use an Allen Bolt through the back and rail and tighten cable onto that (5/16 x 1.5 Inch), worked like a charm and no more Voltage Drop. I am now doing what Bud mentioned, running a 200A BMS Battery with a 2000W inverter for more power/surge and utilize the charge controller for the Batt- Good Luck!

I have a Sigineer M3048NC. You can power off the unit, but it still operates the solar charge mode. The Inverter shuts down, but when there is sun the AIO will charge, even when the unit's power switch is in the off position.

Back