diy solar

diy solar

Allowable BMS input voltage

Nickwad

I have built a childrens powered surfboard , I am currently running a 12s 10p li ion pack with an Ant smart BMS with a 50v charger.
I am upgrading to 13s 10p and fitting a 13 s Daly smart BMS .
My question is can I use the 58.8v charger from my foilboard ( 14s 14p li ion ) as the 50v 12s charger wont put out enough volts to charge the 13s pack? both the chargers are for li ion .

A BMS is a battery protection device; it is not something like a charge controller that is a fancy DC-to-DC converter that takes in a wide range of voltages and converts it to what it needs on the output.
If you check your BMS spec sheet it will show you the limits it uses to "disconnect" to protect the battery.

Can anyone point me towards the spec sheet ? I have contacted Daly but they said contact the seller, No reply .
It is a Daly 13s 100A smart BMS for li ion.

I have built a childrens powered surfboard , I am currently running a 12s 10p li ion pack with an Ant smart BMS with a 50v charger.
I am upgrading to 13s 10p and fitting a 13 s Daly smart BMS .
My question is can I use the 58.8v charger from my foilboard ( 14s 14p li ion ) as the 50v 12s charger wont put out enough volts to charge the 13s pack? both the chargers are for li ion .

No, you will over charge the battery pack.

The BMS is just for protection against extremes, it will still allow some over charge before shutting off which would severely reduce cycle life of the battery.

However many chargers just have an adjustment potentiometer inside to trim voltage, and you might be able to lower or raise one of the chargers to 54.6V.

Back