diy solar

diy solar

Alternatives to Midnite Solar Kid?

CGBS

I've lurked long and hard over the last 6 months to prep for building a 24V portable system (think rolling toolbox style not RV). The Midnite Solar Kid's ability to expand if needed in the future and other pros were able to edge out the cons for my purposes, and I thought I was set until I read at the bottom of the page that if you add another Kid to the system, welp, there goes your serial data. Sigh. It just became impossible for me to look past that the item hasn't had a firmware update since 2018 (iirc) as well as my other concerns knowing the build will be up against the limits from the start and if I expand the serial disappears. I am fairly certain the answer is, "no", but are there any other US based companies with a product that has a similar form factor, expansion possibility and quality of the Kid without sacrificing the comm output in the process? If not, it's looking like a smurf will be in my future. Is there any hope? I don't like blue... Thanks.

I agree that Victron has good firmware updates. So much so its almost annoying getting them three or four times a year.

I went mostly Victron components in my RV build, but did choose a samalex inverter.

I went with Outback for my house installation. Outback makes an inverter that could be used for a mobile installation. The FXR series with the m suffix.

I'm a Midnite Classic owner, great SCC's but long in the tooth. I also just installed a Midite Kidd, really nice, lots of features & capabilities but also Terribly long in the tooth and honestly WAY overpriced... Seriously for a 150V (163V Hyper Voc) Controler that provides 30A charge...

Now the extras that they can do for use in RV/Marine or small cabin can be nice but fast forward to 2023-24 and that is all out of date pretty much.

If you want Tier-1 Quality, Victron is the way to go.
If you accept Tier-2 or Value Brands then there are EPEver & a few others...
!! You DO get what you pay for and Victro IMO is well worth the bit extra. Good longterm support with updates and interoperability with other goodies is a HUGE PLUS !

The Midnite Classics, Kidd's etc do their own thing and must be "kludged" to interop with other products and it IS a PITA !

NOTE, Victron has "FAMILIES" so pay attention as that affects pricing and interop capabilities.
"BlueSolar" (lower end, 12V/24V, lower voltage in for older panels) ,
"SmartSolar" take higher Solar-IN voltages and can handle 12V to 48V batteries and up to 250A charge current.

Example:
This "Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 150V 35 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller" is close to a Kidd but none of the "extras" that are mostly moot and sells for $167 USD versus the KIDD at $450-500 USD

I've lurked long and hard over the last 6 months to prep for building a 24V portable system (think rolling toolbox style not RV). The Midnite Solar Kid's ability to expand if needed in the future and other pros were able to edge out the cons for my purposes, and I thought I was set until I read at the bottom of the page that if you add another Kid to the system, welp, there goes your serial data. Sigh. It just became impossible for me to look past that the item hasn't had a firmware update since 2018 (iirc) as well as my other concerns knowing the build will be up against the limits from the start and if I expand the serial disappears. I am fairly certain the answer is, "no", but are there any other US based companies with a product that has a similar form factor, expansion possibility and quality of the Kid without sacrificing the comm output in the process? If not, it's looking like a smurf will be in my future. Is there any hope? I don't like blue... Thanks.

Morningstar:

I'm a Midnite Classic owner, great SCC's but long in the tooth. I also just installed a Midite Kidd, really nice, lots of features & capabilities but also Terribly long in the tooth and honestly WAY overpriced... Seriously for a 150V (163V Hyper Voc) Controler that provides 30A charge...

Now the extras that they can do for use in RV/Marine or small cabin can be nice but fast forward to 2023-24 and that is all out of date pretty much.

If you want Tier-1 Quality, Victron is the way to go.
If you accept Tier-2 or Value Brands then there are EPEver & a few others...
!! You DO get what you pay for and Victro IMO is well worth the bit extra. Good longterm support with updates and interoperability with other goodies is a HUGE PLUS !

The Midnite Classics, Kidd's etc do their own thing and must be "kludged" to interop with other products and it IS a PITA !

NOTE, Victron has "FAMILIES" so pay attention as that affects pricing and interop capabilities.
"BlueSolar" (lower end, 12V/24V, lower voltage in for older panels) ,
"SmartSolar" take higher Solar-IN voltages and can handle 12V to 48V batteries and up to 250A charge current.

Example:
This "Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 150V 35 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller" is close to a Kidd but none of the "extras" that are mostly moot and sells for $167 USD versus the KIDD at $450-500 USD

I’m trying to find an a cheaper alternative to the midnite classic 150 for small wind turbines or engine driven PMAs. I can’t justify 600-700 dollars on a CC when the turbine is 300-500. Do you know if the midnite kid will work with the classic 150 in follow me mode?

Ended up with a blue in the shade of smart. Really wanted to go Midnite, but as @Steve_S said: long in the tooth. That plus immediately being up against the limit just didn't make any sense. Luckily my main concern of being App dependent was not in fact a concern since I could just buy the monitor/programmer for another $100 and if I spent another $100 on the battery monitor they could talk to each other and for another $40 they could tell each other the temperature...they got me. lol.

I don't do wind because for me at my location the requirements would be too much effort, so I can't speak to what controllers etc would do the job but most Wind Turbine systems (good ones) come with controllers or controller options. While the Midnite gear may be older tech it is rock solid good stuff and yes, I personally find the price point is less than desirable now BUT there are Good Deals that pop up and those are the times to grab'em.

For Example, StellaVolta right now has Classic-150's on sale $1,321.27 $872.75 as well as some other "Exceptional" sales

I’m trying to find an a cheaper alternative to the midnite classic 150 for small wind turbines or engine driven PMAs. I can’t justify 600-700 dollars on a CC when the turbine is 300-500. Do you know if the midnite kid will work with the classic 150 in follow me mode?
for what it's worth, and I am no expert, but in my research I think I recall that only a Kid can talk with another Kid. It uses up it's sole serial port to do so. So at least a starting place: if that serial port can't talk Classic, then you have your answer.

Back