diy solar

diy solar

Am i buying a decent hybrid and is it legitimate advice needed,

It's nice to see you find the hired professional tightened mess up

I notice you have new service entrance wire, disconnect and new wire to your meter + added ground wire.
View attachment 229344View attachment 229345
Definitely looks like $ pro quality work $
I hope it wasn't too hard on your wallet chuckles 😁
It's still not finished yet but I'm getting there, I'm adding another 4 solar panels next week, chuckles.

I have no experience with EV batteries. Some people here do.

Many EV batteries are of an "explody" chemistry. Prius may be a safer one.

I thought I read that Prius batteries do degrade at a significant rate, but the initial capacity and usage/design are such that car performs well for hundreds of thousands of miles. That may specifically be for the early non-plug-in variety.

I've paid about $850US per 12kWh of LiFePO4, don't have them in my hands to play with.
A bit more than what you consider, but in a robust package and easy to match BMS to.

See what LiFePO4 is available where you are. I think forum members in the US have mentioned domestic stock of 280 Ah cells for $80.

It's nice to see you find the hired professional tightened mess up

I notice you have new service entrance wire, disconnect and new wire to your meter + added ground wire.
View attachment 229344View attachment 229345
Definitely looks like $ pro quality work $
I hope it wasn't too hard on your wallet chuckles 😁
Actually it was free luckily, it's part of the grid policy in the UK to provide power to your house that is sufficient, but the whole thing sucks in my opinion.

For instance they have only upgraded my main fuse because I'm having a electric vehicle home charger installed at my home which runs at 7.5 kilowatts per hour maximum.

As I'm on a loop supply i just have 60 amp main fuse rating. In order for my electric vehicle company to install the charger they have to get proof approval off the grid supply to cover themselves in case of issues further down the line.

It is only then when they see a request form that they check any property that has wiring that could be 20 30 40 50 years old.

For instance when the grid came to my house a couple of days ago, to change the fuse, he said I'm very surprised that you have not blown this fuse or caused the very thin wire that was already in to burnout when I was running a 10.5 kilowatt shower electric at the same time as other devices.

Which I haven't used for quite some time anyway.

But the point is the house was wired up for a 10 kilowatt shower and that's how the job was before the upgrade with the very skinny wire coming in from the loop, from my next door neighbour

Which makes no sense because I'm now adding a 7.5 kilowatt device and they've kept the main fuse at the same rating but modernised it.

They said I can request 100 amp fuse which would mean taking me off a loop supply and putting a wire straight through to the main's wire that comes down our street instead of being connected to a loop supply.

Which again sucks because these sort of things they should be doing anyway for every house so because a 60 amps main fuse is pretty limited, because I would also be pretty limited as to what I could charge high voltage batteries at, if I'm running quite a few appliances at that time.

Last edited:

Actually it was free luckily, it's part of the grid policy in the UK to provide power to your house that is sufficient, but the whole thing sucks in my opinion.

For instance they have only upgraded my main fuse because I'm having a electric vehicle home charger installed at my home which runs at 7.5 kilowatts per hour maximum.

As I'm on a loop supply i just have 60 amp main fuse rating. In order for my electric vehicle company to install the charger they have to get proof approval off the grid supply to cover themselves in case of issues further down the line.

It is only then when they see a request form that they check any property that has wiring that could be 20 30 40 50 years old.

For instance when the grid came to my house a couple of days ago, to change the fuse, he said I'm very surprised that you have not blown this fuse or caused the very thin wire that was already in to burnout when I was running a 10.5 kilowatt shower electric at the same time as other devices.

Which I haven't used for quite some time anyway.

But the point is the house was wired up for a 10 kilowatt shower and that's how the job was before the upgrade with the very skinny wire coming in from the loop, from my next door neighbour

Which makes no sense because I'm now adding a 7.5 kilowatt device and they've kept the main fuse at the same rating but modernised it.

They said I can request 100 amp fuse which would mean taking me off a loop supply and putting a wire straight through to the main's wire that comes down our street instead of being connected to a loop supply.

Which again sucks because these sort of things they should be doing anyway for every house so because a 60 amps main fuse is pretty limited
Well it looks awesome glad to hear you're getting it all sorted out (y)

Hopefully with your newly installed setup you'll be able to pick up some of your constant loads and you won't require that hundred amp service

Overall major improvements have been made and it must be reassuring confidently reaping the benefits :cool:

Keep up the good work and positive attitude love it. :love:

A friend of mine knows a friend, who has offered him four of these batteries https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37544158...xFFvaqOQeq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY as part of a deal, they've all done less than 50000 miles and the warranty is upto 200000 miles for each battery , I can have four of these for 500 UK pounds, which is peanuts as one would normally sell for 350.00.

They can be easily converted to a 48v 4.4 kWh battery, which would give me almost 18 kWh of storage in a very robust high grade lithium battery,

Is there a way to test how long there expected to last.

Yes, excellent idea. With your experience of installing satellite dishes, that sounds a great project to go for. Keep us posted 🍿

I've been put on ignore by the OP a long time ago ;) But now you've quoted me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

I thought I read that Prius batteries do degrade at a significant rate, but the initial capacity and usage/design are such that car performs well for hundreds of thousands of miles. That may specifically be for the early non-plug-in variety.

I've paid about $850US per 12kWh of LiFePO4, don't have them in my hands to play with.
A bit more than what you consider, but in a robust package and easy to match BMS to.

See what LiFePO4 is available where you are. I think forum members in the US have mentioned domestic stock of 280 Ah cells for $800

See what LiFePO4 is available where you are. I think forum members in the US have mentioned domestic stock of 280 Ah cells for $80.
I would need 15 of them to make a 48v battery total cost here would 975.00 pound for that lot, which woul give 14.4 kWh providing the batteries are Upto scratch with being b grade.

I was already considering this option. 👍

I would need 15 of them to make a 48v battery total cost here would 975.00 pound for that lot, which woul give 14.4 kWh providing the batteries are Upto scratch with being b grade.

I was already considering this option. 👍

Over in the US we have available the EG4 PowerPro 14 kWh about $3500, so take that for what an assembled battery is worth.

Some "48V" batteries are built with 15s LiFePO4 but most are 16s, so consider 16s.

If you can get quality LiFePO4 cells with terminals that are mechanically robust (not tapped threads directly in the soft aluminum alloy of the cell, and not badly after-market welded on terminals that break off), consider that rather than EV salvage, unless a LOT cheaper. (They used to be cheaper, not really any more.)

LiFePO4 is claimed to be good for 6000 +/- cycles, which would be 16 years once per day.

Read up on people's experiences top balancing. If someone turns a power supply voltage up because cell is slow to reach 3.65V (due to resistance and IR drop), it doesn't regulate, shoots up higher, bloats the cell. If they charge a series connected pack without BMS and disconnect, it does the same.

View attachment 229222View attachment 229223View attachment 229224View attachment 229225 You inspired me to throw caution to the wind

And I burn up my sh*t

Anyway it's good to see you're still with us 🤪
I didn't think this qualified for the danger zone so I figured this was the next best place to post it.

Aftermath of open neutral GenBoost experiment.

20240716_162203.jpgTook out main board in over-ranged microwave oven

20240718_162417.jpg20240718_162751.jpg # How not to DIY microwave repair

I had the parts and couldn't resist you don't realize how much you missed something till it's broken.

Disclaimer: do not try this at home I am a highly trained⚡idiot⚡

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back