diy solar

diy solar

Am I getting the right amount of power out of my panels?

Surfsolar

Been putting my camper van to the test for the last month on a trip. I have 2-200w Panels wired in series to a Victron MPPT 50amp SCC. I had a little trouble keeping my 2 Valence Batteries (276ah combined) charged with the low amount and low angle of sun up in Michigan. But the days that it would be full sun the most I would see coming in was around 170 watts. Im now back in Florida and even here with full sun on the panels today the most I seen was 219 watts. Is this because their wired in series? Or is this seem normal amount in the winter since the sun is at such an angle?

I'm on the gulf coast of Louisiana and my two 100w panels produce around 120 Watts at best this time of year. Panels are flat.

Or is this seem normal amount in the winter since the sun is at such an angle?

Angle is the main thing and diminished hours of daylight doesn't help.

When I did the math for my van-mounted panels winter daily yield and max output was about ~half that of summer. You may want to play with PVwatts or similar to see what harvest is possible where/when.

To make up the difference and keep the batts happy you might consider
  • (if camping in place most of the time) add tilt to the existing van panel, and/or
  • carry an extra panel or two and deploy them leaned against the van in the winter. I carry 2x 100w strapped behind the passenger seat and they have come in handy before.* and/or,
  • (if driving fairly often) add in alternator charging, and/or
  • (if space is available) add on a third identical panel, which would get you to ~255w where you were seeing 170w before.

* not just for increased harvest, but as loaners to nearby campers who are struggling with power.

Back