diy solar

diy solar

How many watts of solar panels?

IMO the inverter is the cheapest part of the system. Batteries are the most expensive followed by panels, but maybe that all depends on quantity of each. :)
For my upcoming project:

6 Hyundai 300W panels (1800W), $600
Victron smart 150/35 SCC, $184
Four Redodo 12V 100Ah minis in series for 48V (5kWh), $1000

As an extended battery for my Delta 2 max (2*500W solar inputs). 2400W, 2kWh, $1300

I'm no expert but I'm not an idiot either. I know how to point a solar panel directly at the sun. The test was done around noon.
But still, it looks like you didn't read until this sentence:
"Even then, "full sun" in December" is a bit less than "full sun" in June because the sun is lower in the sky and has to pass through more atmosphere to get to the surface of the earth."
And from Warpspeed's previous post:
"It depends very heavily on where you are, and the local climate."
For example 54 degrees north, "full sun" in December is a LOT less than "full sun" in June because the sun is lower in the sky.
Lower the sun, a lot more dense atmosphere, less energy to your panels even at ideal angle.
You said "...the days are only 10 hrs long". This means you are testing after the solstice and the sun will be low even at noon.

My array: best angle somewhere at solstices, so May and January approximately same "not ideal" angle. But look at difference: ~22 kWh per ideal day in June, 4 kWh in January. Don't know ideal day production in December, because there are no ideal days in December, where I live.
Next thing is clouding. In June almost invisible cloud lowers panels output by say 5%. In December, the same almost invisible cloud turns into a heavy cloud for diagonal rays and solar output drops by say 70%.
Next thing is panel temperature. Under laboratory conditions test is done when panels are at 25'C. In reality, under good sun, panels may work at 40-50'C and output reaches maybe 80-90% rated production. That's why exists NMOT conditions.
On the other hand, in early spring, when it is -3 'C outside, very clear sky and the sun is already high enough, my panels produced 104%. True, it lasted only 5 minutes, then dropped back to 95%.

Hi Paul,
I just did some math on my 2kw array. I am in the same ballpark as you for length of day, but the panels are in full sun, and put out closer to rated wattage at solar noon.

I did 94kWh in the past 2 weeks (14 days). So 6.7kW a day. It has been decent weather. I'm sure many weeks will be much worse.

So rough napkin math, assume a bit less 5kW a day for 2000 watts this time of year could be a safe average guess. I think it is prudent to include some inverter losses, etc. in the calculation as well since these numbers are just straight production. Not all of that makes it to the intended load. So multiply this by 0.8. In that way I would rough guess 4kW a day in your case for this time of year with little to no shade.

That could also depend on figuring out if the panels/inverters are working to their potential.

There is my attempt at an answer to your exact original question. So with the info at hand, I would imagine a 2kW array is beneficial vs a 1kW array. Then on the best of days (about 10kW production this time of year) you could use power all day while still charging the battery depleted from the previous night's use. On bad days you could back off on use during the day.

Will's generic formula is divide your total battery watts by 5 and this is how many watts of panels you should have. The idea being that you should be able to charge your batts in one full sunny day. So if I have 5000 watts of batteries, then 1000 watts of panels should do it right? But in late fall here, I'm only getting about 50 watts out of a 100 watt panel in full sun at the ideal angle. On top of that, the days are only 10 hrs long. That means that with 1000 watts of panels it would take 10 hours of full sun at the ideal angle to charge my batts. Sounds like I need 2000 watts of panels. Am I thinking straight? Thanks.
100ah doesnt go far unless your talking about living in an RV.

I started with 280ah and quickly figured i needed about 2x that. so roughly 20kw of batt. /5 = 4kw of solar and I get that from about 6kw of panel watts. I'm looking to expand with more panels as my winter sun is about 1/4 of my summer sun.

this is what my monthly for central IL looks like for my fixed southfaceing ground mount looks like. spring/fall i can go several days off grid. summer i get about 20hrs a day off grid. winter i get about 4hrs a day off grid

Attachments

• midwest_solar.png
    midwest_solar.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 5
When I mentioned "local climate" what I was getting at, was you cannot only rely on latitude or hours of sun above the horizon to estimate results.

People living on either side of something like the Rocky Mountains may be only a couple of hundred miles apart, and at the same latitude, but cloud conditions and rainfall will likely be very different throughout the entire year.

100ah doesnt go far unless your talking about living in an RV.

I started with 280ah and quickly figured i needed about 2x that. so roughly 20kw of batt. /5 = 4kw of solar and I get that from about 6kw of panel watts. I'm looking to expand with more panels as my winter sun is about 1/4 of my summer sun.

this is what my monthly for central IL looks like for my fixed southfaceing ground mount looks like. spring/fall i can go several days off grid. summer i get about 20hrs a day off grid. winter i get about 4hrs a day off grid

That's about where I'm at...at the moment about 25 Kwh of battery and 6 - 550 watt panels with 2 more on the way for a total of about 4.4 Kw max ... as I continue to evaluate. That runs about half or more of my house... This will be the first month of this setup so will be interested to see the effect on my power bill.

No.
A 100 watt rated panel will never generate 100 watts at sea level on Earth from sunlight.

The industry standard for testing solar panels is under laboratory conditions with 1Kw per square metre irradiation at 25 degrees Celsius.
That is the measured power output printed on the rating plate under those conditions.
Some ratings plates state that, some do not. But they are all tested and calibrated that way.

Under full sun in a clear blue sky, you might expect about 80% of the rating plate power at the very best.
Under less than ideal conditions, a whole lot less.
On cold sunny days my panels always produce more than their rating.

I just added 2 305 watt panels to a separate scc last week,today we had a nice sunny day and maxxed at 646 watts out of them.
Last winter was getting over 925 watts our of 4 200 watt panels.I have since added a fifth with a total of 1.610 watts in PV.

Back