diy solar

diy solar

Solved: Limited IQ8+ inverter output - JA Solar panels rated for 395 Watts putting out 250 watts (63% of max rated)

Since the IQ8+ can not input more than 10.6A there is an issue:
Panel: 30.84V x 12.51A = 385 watt
The IQ8+: 30.84V x 10.6A = 326 watts == 85% of what panel is capable of.

Also the Maximum AC output is rated ~290W ( 1.21A @ 240V )
But as the picture of the IQ8+ shows max 290W AC continuous (as @Solar Guppy) noted, then you're not going to get more than that out of it.

So at 290W max, you'll only get 75% of what the panel is capable of.

No it doesn't.
Any Enphase micro inverter goes to full power from the factory, there is no fine-tuning needed from an Envoy.

The IQ8+ has these input specs:
MPPT voltage range 29 - 45 Volt
Max DC current [module Isc] 15 amps
With the side node: Maximum continuous input DC current is 10.6A

The op's PV panel has these specs:
The are 54 cells (x cut in half = 108 cells) panels. Normal is a 60 cell/120 half cell panel with a higher voltage.
Vmp: 30.84 Volt (within MPPT in range but at the lower end of 29-45 volt of the IQ8+)
Imp 12.51 amp

Since the IQ8+ can not input more than 10.6A there is an issue:

Panel: 30.84V x 12.51A = 385 watt

This is just a miss-match between panel & micro inverter choice imo.
Who ever made the decision to couple these 2 just looked at watts and not at the specifics of Volts & Amps.

The Enphase calculator says that they _are_ compatible:
View attachment 184348
Ya, what is compatible and what is matched properly is a silly wide margin.

First data sheet I linked "September 2023" "Maximum continuous input DC current A ...12"

I actually have a different version of the same datasheet:

Link is from my personal website:
Version number (bottom of first page) says:
IQ8SP-DS-0002-01-EN-US-2022-03-17
That data sheet shows:
Max DC current (2) [module Isc] A 15
(2) Maximum continuous input DC current is 10.6A

The version you linked of the same named PDF shows at the bottom:
IQ8SP-12A-DSH-00207-2.0-EN-US-2023-10-13 <- that is a more recent version.
Maximum input DC short-circuit current: 25A
Maximum module Isc: 20A
Maximum continuous input DC current : 12 A

This is all very confusing.
Let me see if I can get a sane answer from Enphase support.
Will followup

But as the picture of the IQ8+ shows max 290W AC continuous (as @Solar Guppy) noted, then you're not going to get more than that out of it

So at 290W max, you'll only get 75% of what the panel is capable of.
As you know STC conditions are hardly met. I over panel inverter ratings with up to 125% DC -> AC rating to take into consideration.

Let me see if I can get a sane answer from Enphase support.
Answer from Enphase:
We have two IQ8+ models IQ8PLUS-72-2-US and IQ8PLUS-72-M-US, and Maximum continuous input DC current is 12 as updated data sheets
Both of those 2 spec sheets both mention 12 Amp continuous input.

I think Enphase is very very confusing at this point.
I have the older IQ8+, so am I limited to the 10.6 amps ?
I think I will have to hook one up to a variable power supply and find out the hard way.

Ask them if a firmware update will unlock the 12A capability?

No it doesn't.
Any Enphase micro inverter goes to full power from the factory, there is no fine-tuning needed from an Envoy.

Until now?

Same model number, higher current handling now. Is that because hardware was upgraded without a model number change?

Or because they programmed a lower limit in the past, changed the firmware later maybe to make it more marketable?

Which would mean now we know that Enphase was shipped configured for less than full output capability.

Same model number, higher current handling now. Is that because hardware was upgraded without a model number change?
I copied you the response that there are 2 different models:
IQ8PLUS-72-2-US
&
IQ8PLUS-72-M-US

They did not give me any more information than that.
I don't know anything about soft/hardware differences.
The fact that the old spec sheet said 10.6 amps and the latest greatest 12 _might_ implicate that a software update might be able to improve the Imp of the inverters.

Or because they programmed a lower limit in the past, changed the firmware later maybe to make it more marketable?
Which would mean now we know that Enphase was shipped configured for less than full output capability.
But your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe ask them ?

This is just a miss-match between panel & micro inverter choice imo.
But the set up flat lined at 250 watts per panel.
I can't get to a combo of the listed possible specs that add up to 250 watts.

But the set up flat lined at 250 watts per panel.
I can't get to a combo of the listed possible specs that add up to 250 watts.
Max power of a panel at STC specs = 25C ambient temp and 1000 watt/sq m2 lumination.
Today is solstice so the lowest the sun will be in the northern hemisphere.
So whatever the Vmp under these conditions, times what ever the max amps from the panels the IQ8 will accept seems to be 250 watt.
Even if the panel was able to provide more amps, the max voltage of the panel (only 54 cells) and the max amps of the input of the IQ8+ sets the max limit of power converted hence the flat line.

Last edited:
Answer from Enphase:

Both of those 2 spec sheets both mention 12 Amp continuous input.

I think Enphase is very very confusing at this point.
I have the older IQ8+, so am I limited to the 10.6 amps ?
I think I will have to hook one up to a variable power supply and find out the hard way.
Can't you just look at the back of your specific micro-inverter; like the pic shared earlier on this thread...

pxl_20231214_221446091-jpg.183740

Max power of a panel at STC specs = 25C ambient temp and 1000 watt/sq m2 lumination.
Today is solstice so the lowest the sun will be in the northern hemisphere.
The lower insolation/sun exposure, whatever happens in winter, gives a lower overall curve. It does not present as a clipped flat line from 10:30-2:30.
So whatever the Vmp under these conditions, times what ever the max amps from the panels the IQ8 will accept seems to be 250 watt.
Even if the panel was able to provide more amps, the max voltage of the panel (only 54 cells) and the max amps of the input of the IQ8+ sets the max limit of power converted hence the flat line.
Voltage increases when it's cold (the first post says 30f mid day), so VMP will be at least 30.84
250 watts / 30.84 volts= 8.1 amps (well under either of the specs listed in this thread)

With cold weather voltage increase, the amperage is even lower at 250 watts.
Even at 32 volts, the amperage to hit 250 watts is 7.8

The lower insolation/sun exposure, whatever happens in winter, gives a lower overall curve. It does not present as a clipped flat line from 10:30-2:30.

Voltage increases when it's cold (the first post says 30f mid day), so VMP will be at least 30.84
250 watts / 30.84 volts= 8.1 amps (well under either of the specs listed in this thread)

With cold weather voltage increase, the amperage is even lower at 250 watts.
Even at 32 volts, the amperage to hit 250 watts is 7.8
You were/are trying to find the 250 watt value.
I was just pointing out that everything is lower because of time of year.

Fundamentally 54cell panels are a poor match for Enphase. Stick with 60 or 72 and you won't have an issue.

You also don't need an envoy to reprogram to achieve full output. The default grid profile is perfectly capable of producing name plate wattage. Now you do require an envoy to clear errors that pop up from time to time. I had to purchase one to reset 5 micros that had stopped functioning.

In my opinion this is a confluence of poor matching panel to microinver, shading, poor mounting, and poor time of year.

Back