diy solar

diy solar

Amped Outdoors LiFePO4 - budget candidate?

Bob142

Build more, learn more.
Does anyone have experience with Amped Outdoors LiFePO4 batteries? (I know @MrNatural22 has some 55Ah's). They're out of Hudson Wisconsin.

I'm wondering if the 100Ah batteries are a candidate for a budget option ($630) given that Ruixu is basically pandora's box.

From their website they make claims of high quality manufacturing (underline is mine):

Q - How does Amped Outdoors Batteries compare to other brands?
A - We rate among the best in quality and best for capacity. We only use UL Listed cells and all our batteries come with certification marks. We also only use certified production facilities (ISO9001) which ensure the most advanced quality control. Since we use the most advanced LiFePO4 cell technologies we can build the highest capacity batteries in the industry in their respectful case sizes. We buy direct, do not waste money on fancy cases/decals, and minimize our markup to offer you direct to customer pricing.

Q - What stands Amped Outdoors apart from other battery companies?
A - We build our batteries using an ISO 9001 facility. This means our batteries are built with quality in mind. Every battery pack is wrapped in insulation paper and then in PVC before being mounted inside an ABS case. This ensures a strong, safe, consistent battery 100% of the time!

Thoughts?

Basically all these batteries are just raw chinese cells you can get off aliexpress and put in a case. Sorta like buying a "solar generator." Its just off the shelf components put in a box. So if you want to save 30% you can diy your own.

Basically all these batteries are just raw chinese cells you can get off aliexpress and put in a case. Sorta like buying a "solar generator." Its just off the shelf components put in a box. So if you want to save 30% you can diy your own.
Thanks and fair point. But some people don't want to go the DIY route and might not have or want to fork over the $$$ for BB. Just looking to see if there are any beginner friendly drop-in battery candidates out there at a lower price point.

@Bob142 The biggest reason for buying through Amped Outdoors was they back the warranty on what they sell. There was no hassle or excuses on returns or refunds. They stand behind what they sell. Friendly and responsive. That’s golden in my book.
The 55ah LiFePo has had no disappointments. No dealing with a company thousands of miles away.
If you look through some of the forums on ice fishing groups they would have more input on this company as that is their main customers.

Good points. The warranty alone makes it very appealing.

I got some additional information directly from Amped Outdoors. The batteries use prismatic cells, and the BMS does NOT have low temp protection.

Yeah Matt's pretty honest and easy to talk to. But Like all the other lower cost LiFePo's you have to add it yourself thru a CC or other methods. With the cost savings in batteries a CC with low temp protection is affordable. We're in the SW so its's not much of a problem. But we are at 4300' elevation so it can get below 32deg at times.
Warranty is key.

Yeah Matt's pretty honest and easy to talk to. But Like all the other lower cost LiFePo's you have to add it yourself thru a CC or other methods. With the cost savings in batteries a CC with low temp protection is affordable. We're in the SW so its's not much of a problem. But we are at 4300' elevation so it can get below 32deg at times.
Warranty is key.
Good info. They're still in the running for me. I just know that built-in low temp protection is a Will hot button item so I pointed it out for completeness.

Last edited:
Matt also said they're going to be offering a wider variety of options soon. It'll be interesting to see what appears.

After some research, these look to me like a good option. Lowest price I’ve seen for the capacity from a domestic seller with a good reputation that offers a warranty. I’m very close to buying two or four of the 12 volt 100 amp batteries, for a 24 volt system. I’ve considered making my own and don’t want to do that. These would be used indoors so low temp protection is not a concern. Anything other options I should consider? Thanks.

I've searched for a good while now trying to find other lower than Battle Born price-point options and keep coming back to these. If you do pull the trigger, please share your experience with them over time. Thank you.

I’ll be sure to share if I have some good info. Also, have you checked out these? https://www.aimscorp.net/lithium-battery-12v-100ah-lifepo4.html. The company has been around for a while, and is solid. I have one of their inverters.

I've searched for a good while now trying to find other lower than Battle Born price-point options and keep coming back to these. If you do pull the trigger, please share your experience with them over time. Thank you.

amped does look good, although their website is crude and my impression is that amped is a guy with a very small business. That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t offer a good product and stand behind it. Aims seems to be considerably bigger with a diversified offering.

I took a look at them after another member said he went with them (over Dakota Lithium - see this thread). I still like the price and the quality assertion from Amped better.

Customer service is #1 IMO. Amped has been around for a long time. The name was recently changed from Energizedoutdoors but nothing else changed. Fancy web sites do not define a quality business or venders honesty. ?

I don’t disagree with your observations. However, a bigger business might be around longer than a one man outfit. That said, I’ll probably go with Amped.

Customer service is #1 IMO. Amped has been around for a long time. The name was recently changed from Energizedoutdoors but nothing else changed. Fancy web sites do not define a quality business or venders honesty. ?

Ok am I missing something how are they charging at -45 c
I think you must have looked quickly and not noticed that's the high end of the range. You can charge between 0 C and 45 C. From website:

Charge Temperature: 0℃ – 45℃

diy solar

diy solar
Back