diy solar

diy solar

An Enphase Ensemble Installation

Drilled through the boxes, inserted the NPT glands, cut the end off the cable and ran the cable through.

Piece of cake!

So, then I started stripping the cable ends and realized what a crap-show this was really going to be....
1646315168914.png

I was thinking USB is serial, so I'll have 4 wires:
data+, data-, gnd, +5V.

Nope... 8 wires and two ground wires? What is all this?:

1646316272635.png

1646316402707.png

I just happened to have some Seal wire connectors for 24 AWG,
... so I used them. I gave it about a 30% chance of working.
I can't say for sure I have great connections on all the wires.​

1646316589274.png
1646315477677.png

I taped over the whole mess, shoved them into the box, and .... it seems to work!

For now anyway. I do wonder how others are getting watertight seals on USB cables though.

Nice work!!.. Does the signal strength fluctuate throughout he day?
Yes, it does still fluctuate ... just checked (4:25) and 3230 has two bars, which is depressing.

A few minutes later and it went up to 1646343041556.png. The Enpower used to be between 4 and 5 bars, now it goes between 3 and 4. Overall I think it's better than it used to be, previously two were always in the yellow and now one is only sometimes in the yellow. I guess the real test will be to see if any of the batteries mysteriously flake out as previously reported. Possibly reorientating the sticks might make it better.

There's also a "sub 2.4 GHz" signal listed, but the number of bars seems to be the same as the 2.4 GHz band. The training materials only show 1 USB dongle, so possibly this is a problem from being an "early adopter".
1646343396174.png

Last edited:
Ran across some interesting information regarding a voltage rise issue that's common to all microinverters. It causes what is probably the most often reported issue on the Enphase forums: the same microinverters shutting down for 5 minutes at a time over and over around the same time of day.

I started a thread to explain the issue and how to work around it here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...rise-design-issue-enphase-users-beware.36459/

With my 16 panels in 2 strings it has not been an issue for me, but I have seen a few videos where the last few panels on a long string keep going offline. The #12 awg "Q Cable" really should be thicker. Large strings should be center fed as well. If there is too much resistance, the voltage at each microinverter get's a little higher as you get further and further from the breaker panel. I now have #8 wire from my breaker panel, through the XW-Pro inverter, and out to the disconnect for the Enphase combiner box. Then my solar installer ran #10 up to where it breaks to the two Q cables going to the separate 8 panel arrays. I actually don't have the detail if they ran that as 2 4 panel Q cables, or if it is a single 8 panel one doing a loop. Even in the worst case, it is only 8 amps on the #12 Q cable, and 16 amps on the #10 from the attic down to the Enphase combiner.

If (when) I add the 9 more panels, I will probably upgrade all the wire from the combine box back to the XW-Pro to #8 and get rid of the 10 feet of #10 in there. I could end up maxing out at 27 amps. If I do all 9 panels with iQ7+ inverters, I will do it with 3 separate 3 panel Q cables that splice to one pair of #10 wire down to the combiner. So far my max voltage has only climbed to 245 volts. I don't want it to ever get to 250. The power monitors back at my main panel show just 121 on each leg, the XW output side hits 122.5 per leg. I should check those positions all with my Fluke and see if there really is a 1.5 volt difference going through the XW. That seems like a lot for a 60 amp rated transfer relay and all #8 awg wire.

In my inbox this morning were alerts from my monitoring software that one of the batteries had
hit 8% SoC. Switched to full backup mode and it's charging on solar now(~15%).

There was no corresponding discharge event, this is the same problem I've seen before
when in "savings mode". What I believe is happening is that the batteries slowly deplete
due to self-discharge, but that the Envoy isn't getting the true state of charge.
1646831918358.png

It's not quite right that it's only self-discharge, the batteries do charge some every day to overcome self-depletion (looks like it's about 12.5W). It doesn't get true SoC updates though until the battery panics around 10% SoC. This probably means all my batteries are around 20% rather than 60% as they report (the one shown was just the first to panic). I'll know tomorrow by how much they charge. If the Envoy's numbers are correct it should only charge 7 kWh (it should be 4 kWh to charge from 60 to 100% for three batteries, plus 3 kWh for the one battery at 8%). But I suspect it'll be more like ~10 kWh.

I had hoped between the Encharge updates and the improved communications it would correct the problem, but no such luck.

I'll open a ticket on it, but I don't know that anything will happen since it's a code bug and not something tech support can fix directly.

Update
The system currently reports being at 97% SoC with 11.4 kWh of charging (one battery is at 91%, one at 99%, and the last two at 100%). So, that means the other three batteries were about 14% SoC on average.

Update 2: Took 12.1 kWh to totally recharge, so on average they were all around 10% when the first one went into panic.

Last edited:
That is very odd behavior.

Since the batteries have iQ8 inverters in them, why can't they just use the same powerline connection that is used to the inverters on the roof? It just seems odd that they bandaided on this zigbee setup. When the control system asks for battery state of charge, it should just read it from each battery's BMS coulomb counter.

That is very odd behavior.

Since the batteries have iQ8 inverters in them, why can't they just use the same powerline connection that is used to the inverters on the roof? It just seems odd that they bandaided on this zigbee setup. When the control system asks for battery state of charge, it should just read it from each battery's BMS coulomb counter.
This will be implemented on future hardware release. Unfortunately for us, this will not be backwards compatible. :cautious:

I just happened to have some Seal wire connectors for 24 AWG,
... so I used them. I gave it about a 30% chance of working.
I can't say for sure I have great connections on all the wires.
1647126247730.png

I taped over the whole mess, shoved them into the box, and .... it seems to work!

For now anyway. I do wonder how others are getting watertight seals on USB cables though.I

like your idea of moving the Zigbees. But did yours come like, two separate dongles? This is what I have....1647124799123.png

I wonder if there are separate units inside. There are two cables coming out with one USB plug at the end.

Last edited:
NM!…Apparently there are two units inside…,.
Yep, same as mine... but where did you find the graphic with two? The later documentation only shows one dongle.
More importantly, what's each dongle responsible for?

Yep, same as mine... but where did you find the graphic with two? The later documentation only shows one dongle.
More importantly, what's each dongle responsible for?
Well, I got that from the install guide.
The kit includes both 2.4GHz and sub-GHz wireless radios. The Ensemble system seamlessly switches between the two bands to ensure reliable wireless communication.
I guess that sub GHz radio is some sort back up comms... Its listed as 915MHz on the pic

Attachments

• Enphase Ensemble Comm Kit Installation Guide.pdf
    892.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Nice find! It looks like they both need to be active for it to work, but possibly I just wasn't patient enough. Signal strengths always seem to report the same.

The v4 API is out. It's all remotely accessed. That API seems more designed for a business to remotely monitor your setup. Took a look but didn't see anything you couldn't get from local API without the need to go through their API.

Also, v21.23 is rolling out to all devices. Envoy v07.03.63
Haven't seen it here yet, nice to know I'm not the first ; -)

So I opened up my comms kit enclosure to extend the radios outside like you did and look what I found…
1647389555020.jpeg
I called Tech support to see why my comms kit only has one radio and not the two listed in the documention and I was told by two different techs(I called a second time because wanted a second opinion) that Enphase eliminated the sub GHz radio a while back because they found out it was causing more issues than it had benefits. Go figure!

Last edited:
I called Tech support to see why my comms kit only has one radio and not the two listed in the documentation ...
I think your setup is the "normal" setup now, none of the later documentation talks about the 915 MHz stick.

I wonder if putting it back in the IQ combiner and leaving green stick in the new box would increase the signal strength? If it's just redundant information I'm surprised disconnecting it didn't work... Possibly I need to disconnect it and then reboot the Envoy or something ... worth a try I guess.

There is some opportunity there...at 915 MHz my RF dongle should be able to pick up the signal. Wonder how hard it would be to decode?
bemasher did the hard work to read the ITron power meter, but as I recall he had a nice writeup on it.

Last edited:
Did a quick scan from just above through about 8" of concrete, I'd say there are transmissions at 915 MHz. It's not constant traffic like I see on Zigbee channel 0x0F. It's fairly infrequent, a lot more like whatever is on Zigbee channel 0x19. Sort of what you'd expect, just reporting status periodically or upon a state change.
1647446252354.png

Last edited:
Fixing the signal strength did not fix the Enovy getting the true SoC. It happened again this morning (see #334). One of the batteries went into panic mode last night when it hit its minimum DoD of 8% and only then did the Envoy's SoC change from 65% to 8%.

The top graph shows the discharge is the standard self-consumption (the units are kWh, so ~10 watts) throughout the night.
The bottom graph tells a different story, at 2:30 the Envoy reports 65% charge on all batteries to Enlighten. Then at 2:39 the panic message comes in and the Envoy updates its battery's state to 8%. The new value is sent to Enphase at 2:45, so Enlighten shows a negative slope from 2:30 to 2:45 of 65% to 50% (from 4x0.65/4 = 65% to (3x.65 + 0.08)/4 = 50% SoC. Had it been an actual discharge I'd expect scorch marks somewhere or the top graph showing a corresponding discharge of 1260 wh. I'm pretty sure it's the Envoy rounding off the self-consumption.

As you may recall from a prior post, doing a full 100% charge showed the other 3 were actually around 10%.

Not going to bother reporting it yet again, but have changed the settings to full backup so they'll fully recharge and balance. I can also report this cycle I tried alternating between 65% and 60% every week to see if would trick the Envoy into getting recharged back to the set value. Sad to report it didn't work.

1650278128464.png

Last edited:
You have made me curious, so I just signed into my system again to look at the last 500 log entries in Enphase Installer Toolkit.

Just after 7 AM I see 16 x 3 messages of them all starting up when the sun comes out.
Failed to report clear
Power on reset
DC voltage too low clear

Before those it was the 16 x 2 of the DC power too low and failed to report

All as expected, and repeats each night and morning. That is until I go back to March 14th. I scrolled down to the first odd entry. At 12:49 PM one inverter reported AC Frequency Out Of Range: Set. Followed by Grid Instability: Set. Then, in the same minute the same inverter reported AC Frequency Low: Set, then AC Frequency High: Set. It looks like these 4 entries repeat for all 16 inverters. Then at 12:54 5 minutes later, all 16 report Grid Instability: Clear

At first glance, I would say we had a power glitch that upset the grid and made the frequency bounce. Looking at my Enphase production, it is a bit low in the 15 minute slice. That 15 minute slice averaged 2.7 KW and the slice after it average 3.5 KW. That is a pretty big difference, so the inverters could have shut down for it. I took a look in the Schneider logs on the XW-Pro for the same time, and there are no entries of any grid issues. At this time of day, the XW was just in charge mode, not inverting. So it is possible it would not even bother checking for grid frequency at that time, so I am not sure if was just not detected, or it was an Enphase thing only. The XW did report an over frequency event, but it was back in Feb. And that did occur while it was inverting and exporting power to the grid.

I will try to watch this a bit closer and see if anything happens again. I would expect the Schneider XW to be the pickier unit right now, as it is in the California Rule 21 mode while my Enphase iQ7's are still running in "IEEE 1547 Mainland alternate" still. I wanted to try a power fail test in this mode before I change them back to Rule 21 just to see if there is a difference when it switches from grid to battery.

Rule 21 does have a few odd requirements. And as I am trying to read and understand it, maybe it is actually LESS likely to cause a shutdown. Most of the changes from the IEEE 1547 standard is intended to help the grid and make it more stable. The last thing they want is a ton of distributed solar power all going offline at the same time. So if the grid goes too high or too low, on frequency or voltage, they want the solar generation to smoothly scale to bring it back in line. If the grid frequency falls due to a ton of load slowing a turbine, and the frequency drop causes thousands of grid tie solar inverters to shut off, then the load on the turbine spikes up much worse. Rule 21 keeps solar inverters online even with the grid further off spec, but it ramps them in the direction needed to help bring it back in spec. Low voltage and frequency are nearly ignored to help keep the grid up. Power ramping down happens fairly quick though as the frequency goes up, and also with increasing voltage. So maybe the IEEE 1547 iQ7's saw a grid instability shut down, but the Rule 21 XW-Pro was in ride through.
Where did you find log entries in the installer toolkit?
I can't seem to find them
I can do the Envoy.local/datatab/event...... and get it, but idont see it on the toolkit app
Thanks

Back