diy solar

diy solar

Another new member, building for home in Puerto Rico

alfaeric

Hi, all.
I'm sure all of you know about the hurricane that hit two years ago, and maybe some of you have heard about the earthquakes that have been going on for the past month. Well, the two power outages with that has prompted my family to get a generator for my MIL.

While she has someone coming by twice a day (she's 90), I really did't think it was realistic to have a gas generator- too much hands on to make that work more than a day.

Whereas looking and learning about solar over the past few years- that can be very hands off. And the DIY solutions end up on the med-high end of gas generators. So I convinced my family that I can do it.

The first part was finished last weekend while we were down there- two 100ahr lead acid deep cycle marine batteries + 2200/4400W Giandel true sine wave inverter. I made provisions for fast charging via a car that isn't being used and a trickle charger. The solar part will be installed in July when we have more time to fabricate things. The inverter has the capability of 300W solar input, which is pretty cool and convenient.

The goal of the system is to just run a refrigerator and a TV/cable/internet/phone set up. Nothing else. While I didn't have solid data to calculate from, I figured having 300W with the sun at that location, I'll reliably have 1300W-hr of solar, and it will use just about the same amount between the fridge and entertainment system. The additional battery will keep the discharge to ~50% range, keeping life as long as possible.

It would be great to get a better battery, but shipping them to Puerto Rico is kind of a pain- while I can get the inverter and panels shipped there via Amazon, no such luck for batteries, and I have to get what I can locally.

When it's all done, to get it regular exercise, I'll have the washing machine powered off of it.

It's been a fun build so far, and something I think may others on the island would appreciate.

Are you close to being off-grid?

I know of a guy that spent $130,000 to get a 100kWh battery setup shipped there so he could operate 100% off-grid. That isn't even the cost of the solar, just the "tesla model S" battery setup and a container shipped.

What if I could do the same for about $15,000? If I can be 100% off-grid for about $12,000 in Kansas, why not in Peurto Rico?

PS - Please post some pictures!

since porto-rico is not a real US state, many sellers are excluding it from delivery list.
if you order from aliexpress or alibaba, probably chinese sellers do not care about that and will happily deliver to Porto-Rico.
but usually all Island territory is super expensive in delivery or taxes.
I got the same problem since my system is supposed to be installed in Cuba.

Valid question, but no. Family isn't interested in investing much into the home- other than getting a basic generator going for emergencies.

The area is ideal for being off grid, even in the middle of a real grid. Actually, it would be ideal for a neighborhood size micro-grid if you could organize an entire neighborhood- sun is very reliable.

BUT- shipping batteries is expensive thanks to safety concerns.

I'll try to get some pictures up of what I have- it's amazing how simple it is- two batteries connected to one inverter.

since porto-rico is not a real US state, many sellers are excluding it from delivery list.
if you order from aliexpress or alibaba, probably chinese sellers do not care about that and will happily deliver to Porto-Rico.
but usually all Island territory is super expensive in delivery or taxes.
From what I've seen/read, the biggest issue is shipping, and thanks to a 100 year old law, all goods must come from the mainland US. And those shippers require special handling of batteries. I'm sure there's a way, but for what I'm doing, 200A-hr of deep cycle lead acid is just fine.

From what I've seen/read, the biggest issue is shipping, and thanks to a 100 year old law, all goods must come from the mainland US. And those shippers require special handling of batteries. I'm sure there's a way, but for what I'm doing, 200A-hr of deep cycle lead acid is just fine.
This is what I hate about bureaucrats. Every single car has a battery in it, and last time I checked, Peurto Rico doesn't manufacture them.

This is what I hate about bureaucrats. Every single car has a battery in it, and last time I checked, Peurto Rico doesn't manufacture them.
That's a totally different discussion- more about Puerto Rico being a colony, and treated as one than anything else.

BUT, Puerto Rico could make some batteries- not the traditional kinds like lead acid or any of the various lithium kinds- but the salt based ones would work. One of the huge shifts in Puerto Rico post Maria was that communities were allowed to generate their own power- as it took way too much time to restore power to the entire island. Which means that IF a community is willing to invest in alternate batteries out there, they could. Things that could be made via materials that are available locally- like salt water.

That's a totally different discussion- more about Puerto Rico being a colony, and treated as one than anything else.

BUT, Puerto Rico could make some batteries- not the traditional kinds like lead acid or any of the various lithium kinds- but the salt based ones would work. One of the huge shifts in Puerto Rico post Maria was that communities were allowed to generate their own power- as it took way too much time to restore power to the entire island. Which means that IF a community is willing to invest in alternate batteries out there, they could. Things that could be made via materials that are available locally- like salt water.
This way off topic, but...

Puerto Rico is as much USA is as Tennessee is. The territory has been part of the USA since the Spanish American War. The Residents of Puerto Rico have officially been Citizens of the USA since 1917.

This way off topic, but...

Puerto Rico is as much USA is as Tennessee is. The territory has been part of the USA since the Spanish American War. The Residents of Puerto Rico have officially been Citizens of the USA since 1917.
I know that (remember, I'm building this generator for my family down there). But they are treated more like a colony instead of full citizens. And some of the laws surrounding that makes it impossible to directly import stuff from around the world- as it ALL has to come from the mainland US. Which means stuff is more expensive.

Thankfully, shipping inverters and solar panels down from US based warehouses is easy. Batteries and gas generators are not. So working in the context of the laws and shipping restrictions- one has to find companies that do bring batteries in and use them as sources- as opposed to some link from Amazon or AliExpress. DIY stuff is just a little harder to do.

nope , porto-rico is not in the list of US States and they cannot vote in the congress or at president election.
"In May 2017, the Natural Resources Defense Council reported that Puerto Rico's water system was the worst as measured by the Clean Water Act. 70% of the population drank water that violated U.S. law "
Clearly not "Puerto Rico is as much USA is as Tennessee"

Last edited:
nope , porto-rico is not in the list of US States and they cannot vote in the congress or at president election.
"In May 2017, the Natural Resources Defense Council reported that Puerto Rico's water system was the worst as measured by the Clean Water Act. 70% of the population drank water that violated U.S. law "
Clearly not "Puerto Rico is as much USA is as Tennessee"
Can you at least spell it right? It's Puerto Rico.

Also, they are full citizens, and are bound by US laws. They are not a state. Just like the USVI.

But this isn't about Puerto Rico, it's about the solar generator that I'm making for a family member. Can we keep it at that, or am I to find that I'm not welcome here because I'm trying to help someone from Puerto Rico?

On a more relevant side note- how do I set up my preferences so that I don't get emails when someone replies to my thread??? I thought I've turned it all off.

But this isn't about Puerto Rico, it's about the solar generator that I'm making for a family member. Can we keep it at that, or am I to find that I'm not welcome here because I'm trying to help someone from Puerto Rico?

Don't sweat it too much, topic drift has been more severe than ever lately IMHO.

I wish I had more to offer but how about emailing any US based battery makers (or assemblers before I get corrected) to see if there is any way they can help? It just seems that a company with a vested interest should be able to help get some relief for the poor folks suffering in Puerto Rico.

And bless your MIL for pushing through all this at age 90. We just had a 90th BD party for my Dad and it was fantastic. His main worries are his golf score!

Can you at least spell it right? It's Puerto Rico.

Also, they are full citizens, and are bound by US laws. They are not a state. Just like the USVI.

On a more relevant side note- how do I set up my preferences so that I don't get emails when someone replies to my thread??? I thought I've turned it all off.
At the top of the page, see your username, then preferences, then all the notification settings are there.

Can't wait to see the pics!

At the top of the page, see your username, then preferences, then all the notification settings are there.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Would pictures go here, or in one of the application specific threads? Mine's more of a shed build, since it's just a small generator.
(and right now, there's not much to it- just a box, batteries, and inverter)

Would pictures go here, or in one of the application specific threads? Mine's more of a shed build, since it's just a small generator.
(and right now, there's not much to it- just a box, batteries, and inverter)
It doesn't really matter, here, there. Following here now. ?

Following along, as well. I was born there and still have some family there. I read about them allowing microgrids for communities and glad they are allowing it. I was just there last Thanksgiving, and now hearing about the earthquakes, man that's rough. I have a small solar generator working on my patio, went thru some ups and downs. Willing to help, not an expert but it works.

WAIT! I shipped batteries to Guam in a flat rate box for 15 bucks A BB battery weighs only 30 pounds seems it could be done. I checked shipping to Puerto Rico and it says it can be done for same price.

WAIT! I shipped batteries to Guam in a flat rate box for 15 bucks A BB battery weighs only 30 pounds seems it could be done. I checked shipping to Puerto Rico and it says it can be done for same price.
Direct from the source, or did you ship it from home??? While I've already gotten the battery, it would be good to find an alternative!

“Final” product
DBADDA72-8878-46DF-BDB5-237B74C7952B.jpeg
it’s just a cheap HD container, you can see the DeWalt trickle charger, which is the primary charger for now.
The inverter is a Giandel 2200/4400 pure sine wave, and it has an integral solar charge controller for 300w of input.
I’d love to hear any input for how good a charge controller that is, so if you have info, please post it.
In the box:
77B978AA-FC8D-49E5-9DFC-56B435742C2F.jpeg
it can be charged from a car, if needed, but, ironically, the Focus behind the box had a bum charging system.
Its mounted on a 1000lb furniture dolly that I filled in with 1x4.
We go back in July when I will add 3 HQST mono panels. Which will be placed on a mobile platform that can be wheeled inside when a hurricane is predicted.

Back