diy solar

diy solar

ANT BMS in parallel configuration

Marnus101

Hi Everyone
I would like to know if anyone has successfully connected two 16S ANT BMS's ( 48V100Ah System) in parallel? Cells are from same batch in both batteries.

We ask the seller and he said: " For Parallel, our bms do not support that. the parallel bms have hardware DCDC to avoid large rush current from high voltage battery to low voltage battery."

Is this true? And how can I then externally control BMS's to do so?

Unfortunately, there are BMS' which do not allow for Series Connections and others that do not allow for Parallel Connections. Most companies are pretty clear on these points. The explanation is the result of really poor translation software being used... gosh I wish they'd improve on that.

The ANT BMS' are such, that they can support (example) 100A out and only 50A in (for charging) and they appear to be voltage specific too, negating series connections.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about these BMS'. there are some members here who do use them but I haven't followed any of that. I'm a Chargery guy, so...

If you hack controllers, your diagram is fine if you can tie the shutdown control so if either controller shuts the BMS series pass connection down they both disconnect. Keep the two series battery strings separate.

Biggest issue with two BMS's in parallel is only one shutting down. You don't want one to disconnect causing the system to continue to operate drawing current from only one of the battery strings.

If would be good if you periodically check the current distribution on discharging and charging to make sure one string is not dominating the current by more then 20-30% of other. The amount of mismatch allowable depends on how close to the max discharge or charge current you are running. If you need more then a few minutes of 150 amps discharge or 70 amps charging I would not do this with only two strings as one may hog too much of the current. Besides the battery matching, the two BMS series resistance will not likely match.

Thank you @RCinFLA
I will be discharging @ 100A max( 60A Continuously) and charging @ 40A max from inverter.
Thus I will be pulling 30A continuously from both batteries and charging them each at 20A max.

So what would happen if battery1 hits 3.65V 2 minutes before battery2? Do I have to control the BMS pair while charging?

So what would happen if battery1 hits 3.65V 2 minutes before battery2? Do I have to control the BMS pair while charging?

The inverter/charger does whatever you have it set to. If one BMS series resistance is higher that causes less current to be pushed to that leg then it will not be at the same charge level in the same amount of time. But that is not a major problem.

Your inverter/charger should hold at 3.65v x 16 cells Bulk voltage setting until charger current drops to your set level or for the time limit you set as maximum bulk time. As the charge current is tapering off the voltage drop different caused by BMS series MOSFET switch will diminish, any charge imbalance will be eliminated. Having a continous active balancer is better as it provides more transfer current and runs thoughout the charge cycle, not just above 3.4v on a cell.

If you do a partial high current with early termination of charging, then maybe there will be charge difference between banks. Even if you have only one series string the same issue exists on the individual cells in the single string.

Just make sure you do a full charge with current taper-off once in a while to bring all cells to their balanced charge state. Remember most BMS's with resistor dump leakage charge balancing only kick in when a cell gets above 3.4v, so if you never take them above 3.4v per cell they never get balancing.

If you only have solar to charge and have trouble making full charge very often then I suggest you put active balancers on each string. This applies if your are running just one series string or multiple parallel series strings. Active balancers can be strapped on in parallel with existing BMS.

BMS series MOSFET heating causes their Rds_ON resistance to increase. This is somewhat self compensating as the one delivering more current will get warmer causing its resistance to increase compared to other parallel string's BMS MOSFET switch, causing the current distribution at least partially balance out between the two series banks.

If you never take charge to full bulk completion the cell balance will diverge over time (without an active balancer). Again, this will also be the case if you only have one series string.

Again, the major thing to avoid is only one BMS tripping open throwing full weight of discharge or charging to remaining active string.

BMS's do not control charging. That is up to charger. The BMS will prevent overchargng by pulling the plug on battery connection.

BMS's should be viewed as a safety fuse. It should never shut down if you are doing things correctly. Folks that are using BMS's to tell them they have completely depleted their battery are just shortening the life of their batteries and stressing their system.

Last edited:
So thanks for posting about this, I did not know the ANT could not be used in parallel.
I have a 48v x 120ah set up right now and was thinking to add another battery like this.
I'm very curious to know how your set up goes. I have a microcontroller project I'll be doing soon to report some battery data to WIFI; i think it wouldn't be too hard to add on to this something like your solution but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. Any idea when you'll finish this approach?

With batteries in parallel one bank my shut off before the other. However banks will still equalize.

Greg

At the moment I'm running 2 135Ah 48V blocks behind 2 ANT BMS in parallel. So the scenario you described above. So far I have no issues at all within this setup.
As long as you keep an eye on the state of the different BMS (max cell voltage etc...) In my case I leave some buffers to the top/bottom voltages (3.0-3.45V) and control the max charge/discharge current especially in the upper/lower areas of the cell voltages.

In this scenario it would be a good idea to keep some buffers. Anyway you should ensure that your BMS is not disconnecting at all in normal situations.

View attachment 22674

At the moment I'm running 2 135Ah 48V blocks behind 2 ANT BMS in parallel. So the scenario you described above. So far I have no issues at all within this setup.
As long as you keep an eye on the state of the different BMS (max cell voltage etc...) In my case I leave some buffers to the top/bottom voltages (3.0-3.45V) and control the max charge/discharge current especially in the upper/lower areas of the cell voltages.

In this scenario it would be a good idea to keep some buffers. Anyway you should ensure that your BMS is not disconnecting at all in normal situations.

View attachment 22674
I was wondering if just having a good enough buffer would handle the issue most of the time.
I couldn't view your attachment.

Hey Op., instead of using a PIC couldn't you just have a relay between the batteries that fires if 1 BMS voltage goes to 0 (i.e. the BMS is protecting the battery)?

diy solar

diy solar
Back