diy solar

diy solar

Any small 500W-ish "all in one" inverters? Building security cam base unit

fastline

Been trying to decide on a best approach for this project. Basically building a wireless, off grid security camera power system. I think for now I have decided to just make 120VAC via solar/battery, so I can just plug in the industry standard equipment rather than trying to feed DC to everything, with a range of different voltages/currents, etc. Basically wireless radio, cameras, probably some lights/siren I/O stuff at some point.

Obviously I can just get a charge controller and small inverter but the bargain inverters have no adjustability to them. One thing I need is low battery voltage shutdown. I also need this thing to run efficiently so it can run an estimated 2 days without solar support.

This thing is on a budget. Any ideas what is out there? I've run a Renogy inverter and honestly, they are great! But again, so way to set the low voltage on them. Was hoping I could do an all-in-one inverter here but I simply don't need much power!

Sadly I have not seen any all in inverter in lower capacity in my search. Your best bet is to get a good quality solar controller with load port that has built in battery protections. Then add your inverter to the load port of the controller. I know Victron MPPT controllers has that functionality and I am using it right now. Other controllers should have it too.

Victron do small inverters with built in PWM chargers

also small inverters with AC input (like a UPS)

otherwise mpp do a 1000w 12v unit but I can't seem to find it on their website, 1012HSE (pwm) & 1012MSE (mppt)

Nothing smaller than the EG4 3K that's worth looking at for AIO's, that I've ever seen.

Victron or Morningstar for a small inverter.

Victron, Morningstar, or Midnite Brat for small charge controller.

I would strongly consider 48v if you can fit a Lifepower4 in the budget.

otherwise mpp do a 1000w 12v unit but I can't seem to find it on their website, 1012HSE (pwm) & 1012MSE (mppt)
This one is good. I think this is the one you are talking about https://maximumsolar.online/product/pip-1012-lv-ms/

Been trying to decide on a best approach for this project. Basically building a wireless, off grid security camera power system. I think for now I have decided to just make 120VAC via solar/battery, so I can just plug in the industry standard equipment rather than trying to feed DC to everything, with a range of different voltages/currents, etc. Basically wireless radio, cameras, probably some lights/siren I/O stuff at some point.

Obviously I can just get a charge controller and small inverter but the bargain inverters have no adjustability to them. One thing I need is low battery voltage shutdown. I also need this thing to run efficiently so it can run an estimated 2 days without solar support.

This thing is on a budget. Any ideas what is out there? I've run a Renogy inverter and honestly, they are great! But again, so way to set the low voltage on them. Was hoping I could do an all-in-one inverter here but I simply don't need much power!
Consider a Multiplus 12/500, total control of charge settings etc via a mk3-usb cable, $372, 20A charger, 6W idle consumption: Pair that with something like a Redodo mini 12V 100Ah LFP battery and you have a really nice UPS unit. Only real downside is the cable costs $60.

Consider a Multiplus 12/500, total control of charge settings etc via a mk3-usb cable, $372, 20A charger, 6W idle consumption: Pair that with something like a Redodo mini 12V 100Ah LFP battery and you have a really nice UPS unit. Only real downside is the cable costs $60.

Thing is both this and the MPP solar, while good products, are costly. It's probably cheaper to buy MPPT controller and a separate inverter.

The Sun Inverter with PWM is 230 volt.

Thing is both this and the MPP solar, while good products, are costly. It's probably cheaper to buy MPPT controller and a separate inverter.
Not in that size.

For example, to make something equivalent to the multiplus 12/500, I'd need a Phoenix 12/500 inverter, and an IP22 12/20 charger, and then a fast transfer switch.

Inverter is $148, charger is $153, the closest I can get for a transfer switch that's designed for sensitive electronics is a Filax 2 and they are $288.

The multiplus is an inverter/charger, you provide the SCC(s) of your choice to work with it if you so desire.

I could possibly use an SCC I already have, and as suggested, just use the load terms and adjust settings to let it shut off the load in a low volt condition.
If I go that route, I am wondering what small inverters are decent? I realize Victron is always hot here, but I probably won't spend on them for this test piece right now. I do have a Renogy no frills inverter that honestly has been bullet proof! But I'm currently using it. Low standby draw, quiet, running solid for 3yrs now.

Any others in that quality area? I had a cheaper one and it was the typical China junk.

I've yet to see one that is much value when compared to a component built system.
Original poster asked for an all-in-one. Can't get much more all-in-one than a solar generator. DIY is usually cheaper, but when building small, it may not be worth the time.

Regarding low voltage shutdown: you can set the bms to stop discharge at 3.0v per cell. Solar charge controller can still push power to the battery when the sun comes out.

Btw: a 100 watts continuous is 2.4kWh per day. 5kWh for 2 days worth of power. The inverter itself is about 1kWh per day.

Original poster asked for an all-in-one. Can't get much more all-in-one than a solar generator. DIY is usually cheaper, but when building small, it may not be worth the time.

Regarding low voltage shutdown: you can set the bms to stop discharge at 3.0v per cell. Solar charge controller can still push power to the battery when the sun comes out.
I mean, I do agree regarding covering all the needed bases. typically they have an Li pack. I need to do some camera testing but I think they can pull serious power so maybe as high as 300W cont for the whole structure. Little excessive if you ask me so hoping testing proves otherwise. They have heaters in them too, which is worse.. I can disable that if needed.

I mean, I do agree regarding covering all the needed bases. typically they have an Li pack. I need to do some camera testing but I think they can pull serious power so maybe as high as 300W cont for the whole structure. Little excessive if you ask me so hoping testing proves otherwise. They have heaters in them too, which is worse.. I can disable that if needed.
300w continous is a 14kWh battery for 2 days if power. At that size an eg4 powerpro battery.

I would get a 48v Victron inverter, and a solar charge controller that can do atleast 60 amps so it can recharge the battery in 5 hours of sun.

OMG, I knew I was off my rocker with that data! I was thinking 100W per camera but realized my math was 100W total, MAX! I just tested a camera. 3W in the sun, and 9W in the dark. X3, plus wireless radio and efficiency BS. Realistically looking at 50W cont over nighttime hours.

I should clarify that power during daytime should reduce to no more than 20W, and any solar panel, in anything but rain should make at least that. I will be using a commercial 370W panel with a bad diode but still makes around 200W. Perfect for this application, just takes up more space..

Not too worried about the solar/battery side, just need to solve the other hardware.. I just realized my SCC won't allow more than 5A on the load terms. that's dumb! I'd nearly have to let it power a relay to disconnect the inverter. Silliness.

Last edited:
OMG, I knew I was off my rocker with that data! I was thinking 100W per camera but realized my math was 100W total, MAX! I just tested a camera. 3W in the sun, and 9W in the dark. X3, plus wireless radio and efficiency BS. Realistically looking at 50W cont over nighttime hours.
I have a couple of River 2s which would do that job, 300W output, 256Wh but works fine with a 12V 100Ah battery connected to its mppt port to "expand" the battery capacity to about 1.5kWh. Then connect an scc of your choice to the 12V battery and keep that topped off. Control via BT and wifi app.

Currently $169:

Just be aware that you may run into problems if you try and charge this in freezing temps.

48v 100 ah 5kWh battery. $150 for 48v victron inverter, $100 for 20 amp victron charge controller. 2 or 3 400 watt panels.

For a 12v AIO you really can't beat the MPP 1012-LV from Watts247. The standby draw is about 50Wh a day and it's super simple to set up, and MPP has been a reliable brand for many many years. Eco-Worthy used to have a little 600w AIO unit with a PWM controller that I bought many years ago as a learning aid, but I don't see it available on any of the regular sources.

If cold is a concern, one of those and 600w of used solar panels, along with a few WallyWorld DC-29 batteries will provide a decent cheap system with more than enough power for your system needs and still provide power for lights and a TV when you're up visiting. Less than $1k out the door realistically.

Back