diy solar

diy solar

Any victron issues long term with no internet?

Charleswgibbs

Solar Enthusiast
Planning a system around either a multiplus or quattro, victron charge controllers, shunt, cerbo gx, etc.

I know there are updates released from time to time, are any of these required for continued functioning of the system? In other words, if I fail to update any/all components for a long period of time will there be any issues? Nothing will just stop working until updated, correct?

I already know that I loose the remote functionality without an internet connection but just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. I've been traumatized by electronics that brick themselves until you install their updates ;)

Thanks in advance!

No issues I've encountered with my Victron equipment. You may get a prompt to update firmware if you have updated the Victron Connect app and it needs a newer firmware to access the functions of the equipment though. I did have that happen a couple of times and I had to update the Solar Controller and BMV 712. That didn't prevent the equipment from functioning, just my ability to access it via the app. I'm using a Multiplus II (previous Multiplus) Smart Solar 150/85 and BMV 712 & CCGX.

It will function just fine if it never knows there is an update. One of the cool parts about Victron is you can buy a $100 android tablet, load the Victron Connect app and it will automatically pull any firmware update that is available when you connect to wifi. Then you could take it to your location, bluetooth connect to the MPPT and push updates or if you need to flash to the inverter you can use the cable included with the unit and flash it in that way. I prefer using a laptop but unfortunately the connectivity between a laptop and MPPT is just not there yet.

Anyway, short answer is the unit will be fine without the updates.

Funny you post this, I just made extra copies off the OSX app from my apps folder incase I don't have access to the app store in the future.

Back