diy solar

diy solar

Any worthy smart shunts besides Victron?

AlpineJoe

I already have a Victron Smart shunt inline with my batteries to see AH in/out, max amps in/out. What I don’t have is a meter that measures total solar production from my 3 separate SCCs. I am missing the PV production that goes straight to the inverter.

Are any of the non-Victron smart shunts worthy of consideration for tracking solar production only? I’d like daily totals and lifetime totals.

Victron smart shunt and solar assistant running on a pi solves all of that and its about the only real option that is simple. Not cheap but simple.

If the inverter is compatible with solar assistant (no idea what you have) then you would have all the information you would want.

Another reason to get an external meter to measure solar production. My SmartShunt results and my Victron 150/45 results are not matching each other.

Smartshunt says the lowest discharge I had yesterday was 233 AH from my batteries.
Today I got home from work and the batteries still showed ~ 80 AH deficiency from the day's production (cloudy day with possible rain). So 233 - 80 = 153AH went into the batteries.

If I take the high side battery voltage at 27V, 153AH is 4.131KWh.
Victron app for the 150/45 says I made 3.29 KWh for my one PV bank. That leaves 0.841 KWh for my other two PV arrays.

The other two PV arrays add up to just over half that of the first array (PV1 = 1.5KW, PV2+PV3= 1KW). All are flat mounted, all are similar sized.

I would have expected array PV2 and PV3 combined to generate at least half again as much as the first bank (that's what they used to do).

3.29/2 = ~ 1.6 KWh should have been produced vs 0.841 KWh actual.

Something isn't right - actually I just realized I didn't take into account my constant 125W load from my inverter. X 6 hours = 750W in the daylight that isn't going through the smart shunt. I guess that explains it. Had to type it up here to realize it.

Still, would be nice to have meter for solar production.

Back