diy solar

diy solar

Anybody own a diesel PHEV in the USA?

Depends on fuel prices. Hybrids, especially PHEV, make a ton of sense.

Adding in the cost of a Diesel engine to the mix, coupled with the fact that Diesel costs more than premium gasoline, it makes no sense to to keep saying to build something that no one would ever afford because there is absolutely no benefit anywhere to be had.

Plenty of gas options available.

Gasoline can be stored the same as Diesel.
Gas due to alcohol content has very short life and does nasty things faster then diesel. If ppl want a diesel they should be given the opportunity. The diesel prices are inflated to get independent truckers off the road. Big truck companies like railroads bulk buy fuels in advance at the agreed locked lower price. Independent truckers are screwed. Done on purpose why diesel is so high plus older diesel pollute more. There are a lot of things at work. Look at refining cost for diesel vs gas. ??

Charge ppl gas prices for a gallon of alcohol for every 10 gallons of pump gas too. so profittable they want ppl back on regular sugars vs corn syrup. Hahaha put the corn hole back in corn. ?? seen any e85 lately?

So, a CR-V Hybrid was like $4000 more than the little Mazda I just bought.

It would take about 3 years of driving to offset the $3000.00 spent. Expect 15 year battery life.

That was with gas at $~5.00 a gallon.
not disagreeing - I bought a canada made assembled Toyota RAV4 xle awd GAS at ~$31,000 discounted from ~$33000. Up from 2020 pricing of ~$27000. 4 years of inflation ~$6000. Bidenonomics. Obamaonics

I would never buy a rav4 prime. Not at the inflated prices. Retards got more money then sense.

Gas due to alcohol content has very short life and does nasty things faster then diesel. If ppl want a diesel they should be given the opportunity. The diesel prices are inflated to get independent truckers off the road. Big truck companies like railroads bulk buy fuels in advance at the agreed locked lower price. Independent truckers are screwed. Done on purpose why diesel is so high plus older diesel pollute more. There are a lot of things at work. Look at refining cost for diesel vs gas. ??

Disagree. Ethanol-free fuel stores just fine, especially in larger quantities. It's what most jobbers already have on the truck.

Charge ppl gas prices for a gallon of alcohol for every 10 gallons of pump gas too. so profittable they want ppl back on regular sugars vs corn syrup. Hahaha put the corn hole back in corn. ?? seen any e85 lately?

Turning food into fuel was always a stupid idea. Send that to Svetz. It's "carbon neutral" though ya know. ?
not disagreeing - I bought a canada made assembled Toyota RAV4 xle awd GAS at ~$31,000 discounted from ~$33000. Up from 2020 pricing of ~$27000. 4 years of inflation ~$6000. Bidenonomics. Obamaonics

I would never buy a rav4 prime. Not at the inflated prices.

Yeah. I went with straight gas. I want a future-proof vehicle.

Wanted a model 3 but felt I would be getting gipped with only front wheel drive and range anxiety compared to a nicer Japanese car for less money.

We are 14 years into using DEF.

A Diesel Hybrid would add all the expense of a diesel with all the expense of an ev and Hybrid.

Seriously guys, come on.
DEF is only required if diesel is prime mover.

If it’s a generator on a vehicle it’s not required to have DEF or emission controls.

Depends on fuel prices. Hybrids, especially PHEV, make a ton of sense.

Adding in the cost of a Diesel engine to the mix, coupled with the fact that Diesel costs more than premium gasoline, it makes no sense to to keep saying to build something that no one would ever afford because there is absolutely no benefit anywhere to be had.

Plenty of gas options available.

Gasoline can be stored the same as Diesel.

I don't know why you keep beating this drum. Saying that "nobody" would buy it, and there is "absolutely no benefit" to be had in a thread that is started by somebody wanting to buy one and listing benefits in doing so. You don't have to want one, but to suggest that nobody else should is a bit silly.

Diesel stores longer. That's a big deal when trying to navigate fuel prices. Other equipment uses diesel. Skid steers, excavators. So it makes sense to have the same kind of fuel so you can more easily use the fuel in an efficient way.

Gasoline cannot be stored the same as diesel. It does not have the same storage life.

How long does stored diesel last realistically (without stabilizer)? I keep 2 5gal containers usually around 1yr before i reuse it but how long can it last?

I don't know why you keep beating this drum. Saying that "nobody" would buy it, and there is "absolutely no benefit" to be had in a thread that is started by somebody wanting to buy one and listing benefits in doing so. You don't have to want one, but to suggest that nobody else should is a bit silly.

Which is why I asked your budget for such a vehicle.

Would you pay for a car that is both diesel and Electric? It would be 30% more than its gas electric counterpart for a car that burns more expensive fuel and is more complicated and costly to own.

Diesel stores longer. That's a big deal when trying to navigate fuel prices. Other equipment uses diesel. Skid steers, excavators. So it makes sense to have the same kind of fuel so you can more easily use the fuel in an efficient way.

Yes but you're not going to be putting red-dyed diesel in your BMW phev. You'll be using on-road stuff which means two tanks or putting on-road in your off-road equipment and wasting money.

Ethanol-free gasoline stores the same (yeah not for years but easily a couple) and is needed for small equipment etc and is cheaper than on-road diesel so not buying one of the gas phevs currently available makes no sense.

There has to be another reason for not purchasing and the only thing i can think of is cost.

Gasoline cannot be stored the same as diesel. It does not have the same storage life.

Agreed but it easily stores a couple years.

Which is why I asked your budget for such a vehicle.

Yes but you're not going to be putting red-dyed diesel in your BMW phev. You'll be using on-road stuff which means two tanks or putting on-road in your off-road equipment and wasting money.

Ethanol-free gasoline stores the same (yeah not for years but easily a couple) and is needed for small equipment etc and is cheaper than on-road diesel so not buying one of the gas phevs currently available makes no sense.

There has to be another reason for not purchasing and the only thing i can think of is cost.

Agreed but it easily stores a couple years.

Asking me my budget for such a vehicle is and was irrelevant to the discussion.

Yes, I told you I have two tanks.

Gas with fuel stablizer, at least in my experience, is only rated to store for a year. You can find people saying "it works fine" but I'd rather have diesel with stabilizer rated for two years for a margin of safety. They do not store the same.

There doesn't have to be another reason for wanting to purchase a diesel PHEV when you want to use that diesel to have the option of using in heavy equipment, in a diesel generator, and in diesel heaters and you want it to store longer.

There may need to be another reason FOR YOU, but not for everybody.

Asking me my budget for such a vehicle is and was irrelevant to the discussion.

Yes, I told you I have two tanks.

Gas with fuel stablizer, at least in my experience, is only rated to store for a year. You can find people saying "it works fine" but I'd rather have diesel with stabilizer rated for two years for a margin of safety. They do not store the same.

There doesn't have to be another reason for wanting to purchase a diesel PHEV when you want to use that diesel to have the option of using in heavy equipment, in a diesel generator, and in diesel heaters.

There may need to be another reason FOR YOU, but not for everybody.

Ok. So what is your budget for here-said vehicle.

hope this is clear - not clear like mud. There are so many version of hybrid now that it is unreal and adds confusion. I worked a career with diesel electric hybrid where the big diesel was nothing but a power supply to run a huge alternator. Huge gen set.….. Diesel electric locomotives.
I am driving a BMW i3 - it has a Range Extender - a small scooter engine which drives a Generator.
This engine has no ability to drive the wheels it is always electric.

Sadly the car got torpedoed internal at BMW bey the ICE fraction and the whole team picked up and left for Asia.
The govt wants their road tax monies. The fines can be few hundred to thousands of dollars.
there are other ways to fund roads. They just have to figure it out. EVs are not paying road taxes.
Yes but you're not going to be putting red-dyed diesel in your BMW phev.
no its running on Gas ;)
The seed oil by some estimates - read several years back is farmed at ~65 gallons per acre or so.
Germany is producing - 170 Gallon per Acre.
And the remaining compressed seeds are still great animal food. High in Protein and many nutrients. It is a double income for farmers - selling fuel and feeding their animals.

I am driving a BMW i3 - it has a Range Extender - a small scooter engine which drives a Generator.
This engine has no ability to drive the wheels it is always electric.

Sadly the car got torpedoed internal at BMW bey the ICE fraction and the whole team picked up and left for Asia.

there are other ways to fund roads. They just have to figure it out. EVs are not paying road taxes.

no its running on Gas ;)

Germany is producing - 170 Gallon per Acre.
And the remaining compressed seeds are still great animal food. High in Protein and many nutrients. It is a double income for farmers - selling fuel and feeding their animals.
Your bmw operated the same as a diesel electric locomotive…power generator.

they always can good stuff. They are profit driven not anything else. Why green deal is not good here. Greed.

EV road tax is collected here when purchase yearly tags ….. it is kind of high. ~$600 a year according to family member. They want their road tax funding. Her State also road tax truckers that do deliveries to residential areas. It is additional road fees - cost passed to consumer. Why shipping went up too.

170 gallons per acre is significant improvement over previous 65 gallons. That is good. ? it was not feasible for a person to make grow their seed oil when it was 65 gallons but inflation has really kicked in here too. Everything is more expensive. I was in germany back when the Mark was about 3.50 mark to 1 usd. Germany had it bad. Lot of understandable rioting. Long time ago Back when there was an east west german border. With so-called free world on 1 side and communist on other.

now those communist are here taking over. ?

Your bmw operated the same as a diesel electric locomotive…power generator.

That car is $48,000.00 new. If it were diesel it would be $55,000.00 for a small 4 door sedan.

Is that in your budget Alaska?
they always can good stuff. They are profit driven not anything else. Why green deal is not good here. Greed.

Nobody was buying them because they don't make financial sense and only get 31 MPG on fuel only.

That car is $48,000.00 new. If it were diesel it would be $55,000.00 for a small 4 door sedan.

Is that in your budget Alaska?

Nobody was buying them because they don't make financial sense and only get 31 MPG on fuel only.
they are sold around the world for diesel hybrid mazda cx60. Just not here. $45,000 us dollar is conversion which is considered low price if you look at the cost in australia. Not sure why you keep trying to make it drastically more then gas for a diesel option. It is just not that way. The rav4 prime was marked up over sticker - same price or more.

you have purchase price then you have operational prices. They even do cost to own now which will shock most ppl. Especially if you total in finance charges.

i pay cash .

Not sure why you keep trying to make it drastically more then gas for a diesel option. It is just not that way.

They don't meet U.S. emissions regulations. There is a lot of equipment that has to be added to a diesel engine in order for it to be compliant which raises costs.

you have purchase price then you have operational prices. They even do cost to own now which will shock most ppl. Especially if you total in finance charges.

Yes. Diesel costs more than regular fuel and the engines cost more which means higher initial purchase cost.

There is no financial benefit to the diesel in a small car here in the United States, especially not one that's a hybrid.

i pay cash .

Me too! ?

Except when I don't. Zero percent interest is better.

Back