diy solar

diy solar

Does your diesel heater make a smell? How bad for you are the little fumes that excrete from them?

Gueyog8a7

Reading about diesel heater and fumes it seems a little leakage is common and somewhat expected. A quick search showed a lot of results of people asking similar questions.

Since diesel is known to be super toxic and will even be banned in some years in the UK what does this mean for our long term health if we are using it every day?

The sweet smell coming from my stove/heater I am pretty sure is diesel, even thought it does not raise the CO alarm, as it only starts after the pump begins to pull in diesel to the device.

It seems to settle down after a while however I don't know if it is just because my nose gets used to it. If I leave the van and return I certainly notice the smell.

So just how bad is it to be huffing this stuff every day? I read once that living in a city slightly increases your risk of cancer due I suppose to the constant car fumes. Well I live in the country now so would it just equate to the same as living in city?

Mechanics must breathe a lot of fumes daily. Do they have markedly higher cancer rates? What about commuting on a busy highway/motorway daily?

Likewise burning wood, the quintessential back to nature activity, is also said to be highly toxic and humans have done that for forever almost. I know humans did many things which were bad for them in the past and not necessarily something to go by.

Just wondering about the relative risk of using that diesel hob/heater every day compared to other things. Living off grid and having super clean energy is not feasible at least not until I get a good patch of land to buy a field of solar panels :ROFLMAO:.

Does it raise risk of cancer dramatically or only slightly and in line with other risk factors?

Reading about diesel heater and fumes it seems a little leakage is common and somewhat expected. A quick search showed a lot of results of people asking similar questions.

Since diesel is known to be super toxic and will even be banned in some years in the UK what does this mean for our long term health if we are using it every day?

The sweet smell coming from my stove/heater I am pretty sure is diesel, even thought it does not raise the CO alarm, as it only starts after the pump begins to pull in diesel to the device.

It seems to settle down after a while however I don't know if it is just because my nose gets used to it. If I leave the van and return I certainly notice the smell.

So just how bad is it to be huffing this stuff every day? I read once that living in a city slightly increases your risk of cancer due I suppose to the constant car fumes. Well I live in the country now so would it just equate to the same as living in city?

Mechanics must breathe a lot of fumes daily. Do they have markedly higher cancer rates? What about commuting on a busy highway/motorway daily?

Likewise burning wood, the quintessential back to nature activity, is also said to be highly toxic and humans have done that for forever almost. I know humans did many things which were bad for them in the past and not necessarily something to go by.

Just wondering about the relative risk of using that diesel hob/heater every day compared to other things. Living off grid and having super clean energy is not feasible at least not until I get a good patch of land to buy a field of solar panels :ROFLMAO:.

Does it raise risk of cancer dramatically or only slightly and in line with other risk factors?
Doesn’t sound great to be honest... I see a lot of you tubers using diesel heaters... maybe ask in the comments ... I’m trying to think of the alternatives... small wood burner ( not so discreet )... portable solar generator with low wattage heater... let engine run and use the blowers... you prob thought of all these ... I wouldn’t breathe that stuff in on a regular basis...maybe there’s a leak internally...diesel not being fully combusted... just guessing here..

The clamps that come with those tend to be krap. Get some heavy duty 1in hose clamps, the kind WITHOUT the knurls, and reclamp your exhaust pipe. That should solve the issue.

As an example of the better kind.
Well it is tight in place but metal clamping on a metal exhaust doesn't sound like a good way to make a perfect seal. I already used exhaust paste but it is fiddly to get into the nooks and crannies so not 100% it is sealed. I also cannot see properly since I rigged it all up and fixed to the van so would have to take the whole thing apart and remove exhaust from floor and such breaking the exhaust paste to have to redo again. Not impossible but would be quite a bit of faffing.

I was thinking maybe buy a tube of heat resistant sealant. This seems like it would be better to work work as exhaust paste does not have any or much give once set so could just crumble like clay but sealant is made to have play after setting.

The company I bought it from just fob me off with "it is running on diesel so of course you are going to get a bit of diesel smell".

Folk reading about these ongoing issues with this diesel hob/heater, need to appreciate that the exhaust stub connection to the exhaust pipe is well within the vehicle, not external as with with the blown air diesel heaters. Thus any slight leak at the stub joint or along the length of the exhaust within the vehicle is unwelcoming.

Screenshot_20240111-113712_Drive~3.jpg

The clamp often supplied with Chinese diesel heaters is not the best, idealy something this should be fitted,

Screenshot_20240111-131726_Chrome~2.jpgScreenshot_20240111-125745_Chrome~2.jpg

High temperature RTV may be more suitable than exhaust past to help totally seal the stub joint.

I have no personal experience with the Chinese diesel hobs and support in the UK seems limited. This guy is not too happy,

Mike

Last edited:
Folk reading about these ongoing issues with this diesel hob/heater, need to appreciate that the exhaust stub connection to the exhaust pipe is well within the vehicle, not external as with with the blown air diesel heaters. Thus any slight leak at the stub joint or along the length of the exhaust within the vehicle is unwelcoming.

View attachment 188247

The clamp often supplied with Chinese diesel heaters is not the best, idealy something this should be fitted,

View attachment 188248View attachment 188246

High temperature RTV may be more suitable than exhaust past to help totally seal the stub joint.

I have no personal experience with the Chinese diesel hobs and support in the UK seems limited. This guy is not too happy,

Mike
Just as a side note... I bought a Chinese quad flail mower ... petrol engine powered... and it was shite... it just didn’t want to do what I expected it should do...
however..
After a few modifications of my own .. it worked much better..
So I think with some stuff made in China.. be prepared to go over it and swap out a few things until it works how you want it...

was thinking maybe buy a tube of heat resistant sealant. This seems like it would be better to work work as exhaust paste does not have any or much give once set so could just crumble like clay but sealant is made to have play after setting.
That wouldn't hurt to try at all, just remember to give it the full 24hrs to cure before you fire it up again. Might as well replace the clamp while you're putting in the work of getting to everything.

View attachment 188247

View attachment 188248View attachment 188246

Mike
I had read about the issue of limited support when bought direct from jp however I bought through a uk seller thermotechnica.com who had great reviews on trustpilot for their general company. They have been very responsive to support issues although not helpful in terms of solutions :ROFLMAO:. There is a two year warranty. I wouldn't have bought it without. Even these knockoffs are not cheap!

It is funny how eberspacher who are considered a household name in UK campervan gear and very well established are also using these units.

I did weigh up either this or the real ones and with the blower the wallas would be 2x the price at over 1800 pounds. So if these little issues are manageable to fix myself then still ok. I have not had the issues the chap in the video stated with loads of smoke only there seems to be some little leak somewhere but I am guessing from the chamber area since it doesn't smell like raw diesel. If I buy a heat resistant sealant and go over all the cracks that seems like a reasonably easy fix. I don't believe it is coming from the holes to the outside as I resealed those. I have also double layered the exhaust joint inside again though have not checked round the back properly. Have to look with a mirror or take the whole thing out.

The thing is the fan at the back is pulling air from underneath the unit so the leak could be from anywhere. Just have to go mad with sealant I guess.

That sealant does not seem readily available in the UK. Can I not just buy any heat rated sealed readily available in uk in places like toolstation or screwfix?

Or here https://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-heat-resistant-sealant-1300.html

Last edited:
Just as a side note... I bought a Chinese quad flail mower ... petrol engine powered... and it was shite... it just didn’t want to do what I expected it should do...
however..
After a few modifications of my own .. it worked much better..
So I think with some stuff made in China.. be prepared to go over it and swap out a few things until it works how you want it...
Well the "everything made by the chinese is crap" is moot since most of the premium products are also made in china often even in the same factories as the lower quality ones. That is what I read stated by others online. In that case it is just a price point thing.

I am sure there is plenty of crap made in the uk and us as well but indeed there is a stereotype that chinese = cheap and nasty. Maybe there is a larger preponderance compared to domestic stuff I don't know.

That wouldn't hurt to try at all, just remember to give it the full 24hrs to cure before you fire it up again. Might as well replace the clamp while you're putting in the work of getting to everything.
Why? I think they recommend running the heat while curing to speed up the cure. At least that is what the exhaust paste says.

I doubt there is any point with the clamp. If there is a seal there is a seal right? The clamp is more to stop it shaking off I thought. It doesn't ensure a seal but the sealant does.

Why? I think they recommend running the heat while curing to speed up the cure. At least that is what the exhaust paste says.

I doubt there is any point with the clamp. If there is a seal there is a seal right? The clamp is more to stop it shaking off I thought. It doesn't ensure a seal but the sealant does.
Because the odor as it cooks will chase you out for most of a day. ?

The krappy clamps snug things up enough to not fall off from gravity, but they just can't get enough compression to deform the pipe enough to get a tight seal.

Why do you think it's got an exhaust leak and that it's not just the exhaust finding it's way up into the van from outside?

Get a long exhaust pipe extension and run it farrerrrr away from the van.

Why do you think it's got an exhaust leak and that it's not just the exhaust finding it's way up into the van from outside?

Get a long exhaust pipe extension and run it farrerrrr away from the van.
Because it happens as soon as the pumps starts moving diesel through the pipe. Also the strongest smell is localized to the appliance and specifically where the fan blows not just generally around the whole van.

Well the "everything made by the chinese is crap" is moot since most of the premium products are also made in china often even in the same factories as the lower quality ones. That is what I read stated by others online. In that case it is just a price point thing.

I am sure there is plenty of crap made in the uk and us as well but indeed there is a stereotype that chinese = cheap and nasty. Maybe there is a larger preponderance compared to domestic stuff I don't know.
My point being that you need to go through the thing checking its weak points...until it works properly...something that should have been done before it left the factory..

I had read about the issue of limited support when bought direct from jp however I bought through a uk seller thermotechnica.com who had great reviews on trustpilot for their general company. They have been very responsive to support issues although not helpful in terms of solutions :ROFLMAO:. There is a two year warranty. I wouldn't have bought it without. Even these knockoffs are not cheap!

It is funny how eberspacher who are considered a household name in UK campervan gear and very well established are also using these units.

I did weigh up either this or the real ones and with the blower the wallas would be 2x the price at over 1800 pounds. So if these little issues are manageable to fix myself then still ok. I have not had the issues the chap in the video stated with loads of smoke only there seems to be some little leak somewhere but I am guessing from the chamber area since it doesn't smell like raw diesel. If I buy a heat resistant sealant and go over all the cracks that seems like a reasonably easy fix. I don't believe it is coming from the holes to the outside as I resealed those. I have also double layered the exhaust joint inside again though have not checked round the back properly. Have to look with a mirror or take the whole thing out.

The thing is the fan at the back is pulling air from underneath the unit so the leak could be from anywhere. Just have to go mad with sealant I guess.

That sealant does not seem readily available in the UK. Can I not just buy any heat rated sealed readily available in uk in places like toolstation or screwfix?

Or here https://shop.vitcas.com/vitcas-heat-resistant-sealant-1300.html
The stuff that people use on stove pipes should be fine.. I’ve used heat resistant sealant that is applied with a sealant gun.. it doesn’t seem to smell much either when first applied.. may need to be gentle with the heat at first though...

Back