diy solar

diy solar

Anyone buying these 305ah envision cells?

Most folks here probably know this, but it fooled me a bit. I have been finger-tightening the nuts when I temporarily hook up the JBD BMS to 4 cells at a time to charge and top-balance. I noticed one cell in the current 4 was a bit higher voltage than the other three at 10A, so was thinking of swapping it out. As a last try, I tightened the nuts with a pliers - still not to the 6 Nt-m recommended. The difference disappeared. So when you're working with these things and looking for 0.01 - 0.03v differences, the torque on the nuts definitely matters.

While waiting for another JBD to come in I top balanced the newest set of Env305s (308Ah) and have been running them in my system without BMS for a week or so, with MPPTs set to 28.6V and they stay well balanced at the top.

The ENV305 packs (with BMS) are still noticeably lower iR than packs of CALB305s (329Ah) so they normally operate at 5-8% different state of charge and then catch up and even out well at the top. Maybe the iR will get closer as they get some real cycles on them. The CALBS have about 50 cycles.

Last edited:
I'm not afraid of grade B cells and have been watching the Envision 304's cells on 18650 battery store for a couple of days. Do I have to worry about swelling and compression if I'm using custom boxes to install these in?

So I have just today installed these in an EEL battery box.
They are a VERY tight fit, you can only use the fiberglass separators and not the foam.
Then you need to screw the front holding bracket on in steps using the longest screws to squeeze them together.
If you are DIYing your own box, you should take the swelling into account.

To compess or not to compress......bond or ground, autotransformer or not, split phase is 180 degrees opposite ?

So I have just today installed these in an EEL battery box.
They are a VERY tight fit, you can only use the fiberglass separators and not the foam.
Then you need to screw the front holding bracket on in steps using the longest screws to squeeze them together.
If you are DIYing your own box, you should take the swelling into account.

To compess or not to compress......bond or ground, autotransformer or not, split phase is 180 degrees opposite ?
Which box did you get? V2, v3, or the stand up?
I have 2 v2 boxes on the way. I was going to balance the cells and place them in a jig to see if I can compress them a bit and then in a few weeks try to shoehorn them into the cases, hoping if I stand em up while loading that gravity will be on my side as well
Really hoping the build goes “to plan”. As it sits my total investment for both batteries will be roughly equivalent to 1 eg4 power pro in price, with more than double the capacity

I think I got version 2, flat front but the bus bars are not tapped for the balance cable to have their own screw. Does have the fuse holder, I would rather have a breaker though. Everything is going together well just waiting for the BMS to arrive today if they can make it through the crazy thunderstorm we're having.
I put mine on a furniture dolly to make it easier to move around because it is now extraordinarily heavy. Also watch the screws they are rather soft.

If anyone is still on fence about these cells, I contacted 18650batterystore and they were able to invoice me at $79 per cell as opposed to $89 which is the current pricing on the website. I guess I'm building 2 more packs/

If anyone is still on fence about these cells, I contacted 18650batterystore and they were able to invoice me at $79 per cell as opposed to $89 which is the current pricing on the website. I guess I'm building 2 more packs/
How did you manage that? I tried days ago and was told 79 was a promotional price.

Well crap and double crap.
First off the BMS are being shipped from China for my EEL boxes, so much for USA stock.
And I used a digital torque wrench for the first time ever building batteries and twisted off 2 studs at around 5-6Nm...I was aiming for 6Nm.
Hopefully 18650 will fix me up, they seemed to be OK about it. Sent pictures.

First off the BMS are being shipped from China for my EEL boxes, so much for USA stock.
And I used a digital torque wrench for the first time ever building batteries and twisted off 2 studs at around 5-6Nm...I was aiming for 6Nm.
Well if they are shipped Lazer Ship for final delivery, then keep a tab on them. They dropped 1 off in mailbox, other on neighbors porch. Not same delivery.

Well if they are shipped Lazer Ship for final delivery, then keep a tab on them. They dropped 1 off in mailbox, other on neighbors porch. Not same delivery.
I've had neighbors open/keep things that have been mistakenly delivered to them. At least with those raw cells, they would likely be useless to them.

I just emailed their support and they graciously matched it. This was their entire response:

"We'll go ahead honor the previous sale price! I just sent the invoice to your e-mail."
Thanks. I'll try again and see what happens.

1/4-20 studs, if careful when installing, will self tap their way into the hole.

That is if the problem you had was the aluminum threads stripping out of the hole.

What shipping companies are being used for your boxes and BMS? Howard stated this evening that my boxes would come fedex and BMS would be USPS

Back