diy solar

diy solar

Went with 18650 Battery Store, 4 x CALB 305Ah "Grade B" Cells...VERY Pleased - Tested at 325Ah!!!

PHRoG

As the title suggests, I decided to go with 18650BatteryStore for my cells...I ended up purchasing 4 of the CALB 305Ah "Grade B" Cells.

The ride was a little bumpy at first as my order said it was delivered, but, it certainly wasn't here. I called to report the issue and the customer service was excellent. They filed a claim and I just placed another order as I didn't want to wait until that process played out to get the cells. My second order made it in less than a week and the claims process took about 3 weeks...after which, they refunded my first order.

As many others have said...don't bother emailing them, just call. I think they have like 2 people that handle the phones, amongst other duties, and they were very responsive over the phone.

The cells themselves were in pristine condition. No bloating, they were exquisitely flat, and the terminals appeared to have excellent welds with no blemishes.

I performed several full cycle tests on the cells and they average out to about 325Ah (324.83Ah average to be exact). To start, I fully charged each cell with 40A to 3.65v, absorbed to 0.1A and then let it rest for at least 24 hours. Capacity between 3.45v and 3.0v averaged out to 308.23Ah.

I then did a full discharge with 40A down to 2.5v, let it rest for 30 minutes and the performed a full charge with 40A to 3.65v, absorbed to 0.1A.

Here's some chart candy:

Screenshot_48.jpg

Not trying to yuck your yum, but did you validate the unit's current measurement? Expect EV grade cells to be 5%+ over spec, but not "grade B." +20Ah on 305 is essentially unheard of.

Interesting, Though not common at all yet CALB does now have higher capacity 71173204 cells. Specifically the L173F306 and L173F314. Perhaps these are L173F306 rejects. There's no way to know if the qr is obliterated. But yea more than likely the meter calibration is off.

CALB display from CIBF this week with the L173F306 and L173F314. It's a crop from a news article so sorry for the resolution.
Screenshot_20230521-070457~2.png

Edit: I should say, there is no such CALB 305, but there is a 306 and now 314. (Edit 2: It is L173F305 I found much better pictures look farther down).

Last edited:
Not trying to yuck your yum, but did you validate the unit's current measurement? Expect EV grade cells to be 5%+ over spec, but not "grade B." +20Ah on 305 is essentially unheard of.

Hahaha, no worries...I'd far prefer to be sure it's accurate. I'm not 100% on the best way to validate though?

I did verify the amperage with both a clamp meter as well as probes from a different multimeter many times during the test and the discharge test took the appropriate amount of time based off of a 40A draw at between 8 hours 5 minutes to 8 hours 8 minutes between the cells.

I also verified start and end voltages with both meters against the detected voltage on the tester and they were always accurate as well.

Interesting, Though not common at all yet CALB does now have higher capacity 71173204 cells. Specifically the L173F306 and L173F314. Perhaps these are L173F306 rejects. There's no way to know if the qr is obliterated. But yea more than likely the meter calibration is off.

CALB display from CIBF this week with the L173F306 and L173F314. It's a crop from a news article so sorry for the resolution.
View attachment 150201

Edit: I should say, there is no such CALB 305, but there is a 306 and now 314.

The date of manufacture on the cells was August and October 2022...unsure if that helps. The QR codes really didn't supply much more useful info They were intact on top of the black sticker...I haven't peeled it away yet to see if any original QR codes were removed and/or exist.

Correction...the black sticker on the top has a cutout that goes around the seal and QR code...the QR code is not on top of said sticker.

Also, if you look at the photos for the CALB cells on 18650's website, there's a sticker on the box showing 329Ah...I had assumed that these were "Grade B" as they were supposed to be 329Ah cells, but, failed that test and I just got lucky they tested that high.

Sticker photo: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...4a30-9a13-b4bf58419a42_600x.heic?v=1675961730

I tried to find datasheets on these but didn't have any luck either.

Last edited:
I tried to find datasheets on these but didn't have any luck either.
I have a datasheet for the CALB L173F280a in the resources. It's mixed in with the whole collection of CALB datasheets. It's obviously for the 280ah version but it's the closest you'll probably get for awhile.

On the qr cordes, If they are at all readable, I'd be interested in characters 6-7 which are the product ID. The L173F280s are ID: 3B. If those are different them it's a different cell. If they are different id appreciate at least knowing what they are and if possible a picture. I've been helping update the phone scanner app recently.
18335-0B5CB3BM0GBC-1CCCJ0000215klein-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a datasheet for the CALB L173F280a in the resources. It's mixed in with the whole collection of CALB datasheets. It's obviously for the 280ah version but it's the closest you'll probably get for awhile.

On the qr cordes, If they are at all readable, I'd be interested in characters 6-7 which are the product ID. The L173F280s are ID: 3B. If those are different them it's a different cell. If they are different id appreciate at least knowing what they are and if possible a picture. I've been helping update the phone scanner app recently.
View attachment 150233

Sure, no problem at all...they're perfectly readable and I have one out now

The code on it is: 0B5CB3BM0GBC 1CCAN0000070

First part matches the one in your pic...hmm, kinda wondering if the tester is, in fact, off?

Any suggestions on how I can better validate if it's accurate or not other than taking amp readings and timing it?

First part matches the one in your pic...hmm, kinda wondering if the tester is, in fact, off?
So officially by QR you received as far as I know, a L173F280a cell. I've gone and confirmed the image I posted with another source. I went through the data sheet to see if there is anything wierd and came up with nothing.

For reference newer CALB sheets are wierd with raiting cycle life and discharge specs.
From the L300F187 spec which I do not have
Screenshot_20230523-184811~2.png

There's many ways you'll come up with lower numbers on a battery test, but I really couldn't think of any that are high. If you have a 40ah current clamp meter,that could give you some idea about the calibration of the tester. Certainly you are gaining some capacity just by the 40ah discharge rather than 140ah, but you're talking many 5ah there.

Otherwise reading back to some of the older Chinese battery news I did hear about CALB 305ah and 320ah trial productions, but never saw cells. Certainly these became the L173F306 and L173F314, perhaps those 18650 store cells are just some of those trial products who knows.

So officially by QR you received as far as I know, a L173F280a cell. I've gone and confirmed the image I posted with another source. I went through the data sheet to see if there is anything wierd and came up with nothing.

For reference newer CALB sheets are wierd with raiting cycle life and discharge specs.
From the L300F187 spec which I do not have
View attachment 150298

There's many ways you'll come up with lower numbers on a battery test, but I really couldn't think of any that are high. If you have a 40ah current clamp meter,that could give you some idea about the calibration of the tester. Certainly you are gaining some capacity just by the 40ah discharge rather than 140ah, but you're talking many 5ah there.

Otherwise reading back to some of the older Chinese battery news I did hear about CALB 305ah and 320ah trial productions, but never saw cells. Certainly these became the L173F306 and L173F314, perhaps those 18650 store cells are just some of those trial products who knows.

Gotcha...I can't do a high discharge test until I get the rest of the stuff in to build the battery. Hoping I can do that this weekend maybe. Meanwhile, I'm just started another test cycle on the above cell (already did 2, but, meh).

The last test I did on it came out to 225.8Ah 325.8Ah per the tester. The amp draw was for 29245 seconds (8 hours, 7.4 min) at 41.32 amps per the clamp meter.

Attached are pics of the battery, tester and amp readings...yes, it's a cheap-o meter...tested against friend's Fluke and confirmed it's amp readings are accurate though.

pic.1.jpgpic.2.jpgpic.3.jpgpic.4.jpg

Last edited:
The last test I did on it came out to 225.8Ah per the tester.
Did you mean 325? The last test you did put you above and 225 puts you well below a capacity of 305.

I did go to the 18650 website today and was surprised to see grade a 280 ah listed for $129 each. Not sure about shipping, but this is significantly cheaper than when I shipped mine from China 2 years ago.

Personal opinion at this point is just be happy that you got cells way better than advertised. I don't think any type of higher rate ladischarge is going to change much unless the cells have much higher DC internal resistance than expected. All together nice.

I am keeping database on cells measured. If you can post CSV files of discharge followed by full charge would appreciate. You can change .csv file extension to .txt so you can attach to forum post, or zip them together.

I don't have any CALB 304 AH cell data yet.

This is an example. I need both full discharge followed by full charge to generate the overpotential estimate. Also should record approx ambient temp when tests done. Since its close to summer not likely an issue but tests done below 20 degs C reduces capacity and increases overpotential.
1684892572863.png

Last edited:
Did you mean 325? The last test you did put you above and 225 puts you well below a capacity of 305.

I did go to the 18650 website today and was surprised to see grade a 280 ah listed for $129 each. Not sure about shipping, but this is significantly cheaper than when I shipped mine from China 2 years ago.

Yes, I meant 325.8Ah...multitasking poorly over here! ;)

These CALB cells were also $129 each...shipping for 4 with a BMS was $63.95 to the PNW.

Personal opinion at this point is just be happy that you got cells way better than advertised. I don't think any type of higher rate ladischarge is going to change much unless the cells have much higher DC internal resistance than expected. All together nice.

I agree and I'm quite pleased! Got a bit concerned when it was suggested the tester could be off...not that they wouldn't work for me even if that was the case, but, because things like that just generally bother me, lol.

I really appreciate the feedback.

I am keeping database on cells measured. If you can post CSV files of discharge followed by full charge would appreciate. You can change .csv file extension to .txt so you can attach to forum post, or zip them together.

I don't have any CALB 304 AH cell data yet.

This is an example. I need both full discharge followed by full charge to generate the overpotential estimate. Also should record approx ambient temp when tests done. Since its close to summer not likely an issue but tests done below 20 degs C reduces capacity and increases overpotential.

Sure! I'm doing a full discharge to 2.50v @ 40A, wait 30 min, then charge to 3.65v @ 40A then with absorption to 0.10A test on it right now...I'd be more than happy to get you the files.

Previous tests we're done in varying temps (I don't have central air) and could be between 65f to 80f. Currently 71 in here now but will cool down a bit tonight while the test is running and heat back up again by the time the test is finished tmrw afternoon. Will that still work for ya?

As the title suggests, I decided to go with 18650BatteryStore for my cells...I ended up purchasing 4 of the CALB 305Ah "Grade B" Cells.

The ride was a little bumpy at first as my order said it was delivered, but, it certainly wasn't here. I called to report the issue and the customer service was excellent. They filed a claim and I just placed another order as I didn't want to wait until that process played out to get the cells. My second order made it in less than a week and the claims process took about 3 weeks...after which, they refunded my first order.

As many others have said...don't bother emailing them, just call. I think they have like 2 people that handle the phones, amongst other duties, and they were very responsive over the phone.

The cells themselves were in pristine condition. No bloating, they were exquisitely flat, and the terminals appeared to have excellent welds with no blemishes.

I performed several full cycle tests on the cells and they average out to about 325Ah (324.83Ah average to be exact). To start, I fully charged each cell with 40A to 3.65v, absorbed to 0.1A and then let it rest for at least 24 hours. Capacity between 3.45v and 3.0v averaged out to 308.23Ah.

I then did a full discharge with 40A down to 2.5v, let it rest for 30 minutes and the performed a full charge with 40A to 3.65v, absorbed to 0.1A.

Here's some chart candy:

View attachment 150187

That is the charge cycle... it will always be higher show the discharge cycle and the discharge CSV file. I recon it will be closer to 318-320 (still very good btw).

That is the charge cycle... it will always be higher show the discharge cycle and the discharge CSV file. I recon it will be closer to 318-320 (still very good btw).
Correct.

Average discharge capacity to 2.50v is 324.5Ah, 3.00v is 312.3Ah and 3.10v is 304.7Ah.
Average charge capacity to 3.65v with absorption to 0.10A is 325.1Ah, 3.50v is 322.0Ah and 3.45v is 319.7Ah.

CALB 305Ah Grade B is $129, or $0.42/Ah.
The EVE LF280K Grade A is $145 (lot 16), or $0.52/Ah.
an 18% discount for Grade B vs Grade A. For my first build, I think I'll stick to Grade A for now.

Awesome I can build a 15kWh pack for around $3,000, compared to about $5,000 for EG4-LifePower4 (including adding shipping, shunt, fuse, wire).

that is interesting the CALB qr code is intact yet 18650 is still calling it grade B. I bet when the alibaba sellers get there hands on it they are going to call it Grade A+++.

Kudos to 18650 for being honest.

I have been needing just one EVE 280 but they started selling them with different post so therefor it will not work with my battery pack. I would say a grade B would fit right in with my other cells. I just have this one cell that is not performing well and pulling the whole pack down. Guess I will need to look for different supplier that has the same studs.

Another note my second battery pack built with the CATL 280's has been a very very solid performer and pulled pretty large loads with them. Really would like to replace all my older EVE cells with the CATL cells.

View attachment 150201

Edit: I should say, there is no such CALB 305, but there is a 306 and now 314.
Coming back to this, Seems google translate is bad at Chinese still and so are my eyes. CIBF wrap up coverage is still happening this week and today I found much better pictures from the event.

6382062658514318713679530.jpg6382062658521025099166205.jpg6382062658513618476908776.jpg

I have been needing just one EVE 280 but they started selling them with different post so therefor it will not work with my battery pack. I would say a grade B would fit right in with my other cells. I just have this one cell that is not performing well and pulling the whole pack down. Guess I will need to look for different supplier that has the same studs.

Another note my second battery pack built with the CATL 280's has been a very very solid performer and pulled pretty large loads with them. Really would like to replace all my older EVE cells with the CATL cells.
I have one below par cell of 24 x 280Ah old eve cells ... that drops off fast at low battery volts (triggering my BMS cut out set at 200mv max between cells) Am considering this as an option with an extra built in: (might work ok) https://srikobatteries.com/product/2-pack-eve-300ah-lifepo4-prismatic-lithium-cells/

Back