diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have their DIY setup outdoors? If so, what does your 'box' look like?

AlpineJoe

Solar Enthusiast
My batteries, charge controllers, inverters are all outdoors, on a concrete pad but under a large awning. It's up against the house and sunroom, sheltered very well from the rain, so so for wind. I have not seen any condensation buildup on any of it. Charge controllers are mounted on the exterior wall of the sunroom. Now that I have something that works, I'm going to build a box for it, likely out of plywood but maybe with hardibacker. This is to shield it from the wind, and somewhat from moisture though it's not a controlled environment.

Anyone else have their equipment outside but sheltered? If so, what have you built to shield your equipment?

(BTW, the wife said no to me moving it all inside the sunroom.)

A lot depends on your location/region as to what needs to be done and what should be done.
1) Consideration for critters: Bug, Rodents etc can ALL be problems and needs to be addressed. Never Ever underestimate critters !
2) Temperature Management / Control. LFP batteries must be above 0C/32F for charging nor do they like being above 50C/122F, note that when batteries are charging they warm up, higher the rate more heat you get. Then of course Charging (solar or by AC) also generates heat within the respective devices... You'd be surprised at how much heat can come off the transformers & heat sinks.
3) TIP: It is always best to NOT put battery packs on the ground or at ground level, keep them up, at least a minimum of 30cm/1'.
4) Ensure you have enough space to actually work on equipment if required... Elbow Room IS important... if something happens and there is an Urgent need to get at things, last thing you wanna do is dismantle stuff to get to the part that needs attention.

Condensation is ALWAYS an issue - Any Moisture is not good... Even with Marine Grade equipment which is conformally coated is best kept dry. If this is an OUTDOOR Installation, then believe it or not Marine Rules apply as the equipment is subject to an uncontrolled variable climate. The safest route is the marine route... All lugs, busbars etc Tin Plated, all cables sealed with Adhesive Heat-Shrink and so on.

The Gotcha's. Assuming some form of Inspection because you probably want Insurance Coverage (at minimum) and maybe because your region will demand it. Wall backing for Inverter/Solar Charger Controller etc should be Fireboard ($$$) or Mag-O Magnesium Oxide sheet (cheaper & better, harder to get). Inspectors will want to see Certifications of the gear (see the labels & stampings) as well. Generally a lockable secure structure will be required as well, which makes good sense, obviously.

I have a ground mount, so the combiner box and disconnect is under the solar panels. My inverter is on the inside wall of an unconditioned barn, the overhead and stall doors are open all the time so it's probably pretty close to your car port in terms of protection. We have a farm and my experience building any kind of unconditioned enclosure is that I've ended up with more problems than I solved. In our climate condensation is the biggest problem because it gets cold at night in the winter and then the sun comes up and warms the air in the enclosure and moisture condenses all over everything that's made of metal. It's also really humid in the summer, so it gets damp under in the enclosure and stays damp. Any dark enclosure also ends up being a home for mice that like to eat insulation. I did end up building a small room (12'x12') inside our barn that's heated and air conditioned to store things like saddles and tack. I would say your car port is a good environment, if you need to improve the appearance you could put those lattice panels that people put around their garbage cans or generators. They allow free air flow but provide a little extra protection against wind driven rain. If you build an enclosure, I'd put a small minisplit on it to keep the humidity and temperature under control.

Back