diy solar

diy solar

Anyone with Growatt SPH BL-UP's running them in parallel?

ijhammo

Hi

I will shortly be adding a second inverter to my SPH6000BL-UP and I am looking for anyone who has already done this who could share their experience with it - how you configured it, how it works etc?

With my current setup I have largely abandoned the Shine app and interface in favour of using the Solar Assistant one. Getting the real-time data from that is so much better. I have read elsewhere that SA is happy taking and aggregating readings from 2 inverters as well (which is cool) although its less clear if/how it can control them.

The info I am really looking for though is:
  1. does connecting the VPP ports actually make them behave in parallel - especially with regard to battery charge and discharge?
  2. do both inverters need so have the same number of panels attached to stop them fighting each other?
  3. are you doing this with or without a Shinemaster / Smart Energy Manager (SEM) unit?

Any info greatly received!

Last edited:
Morning,

trying to build sth similar, SPH 8K and 10K TL3 BH-UP in parallel. Primary aim is to increase battery power.
Primary issue is an error 201 leak current as soon as both connect to the battery (and are grid connected).
Would use a second smartmeter or build kind of a rs485 hub rather than SEM

Anyone an idea on the leak issue? Both work fine as long as not parallel on the battery

Thx
Nick

Hi,
I have 2 GROWATT SPH 10000 TL3 BH-UP working in parallel, with their own battery, and on the same grid . I don't use SEM unit . I have replaced SEM by a DIY rs485 hub . Hub Input is the electric grid meter, and hub outputs are the 2 inverters (inverter meter input) .Main functions of the hub are :
- request of inverters to meter are sent only by one inverter, instead of both
- answer of meter is sent to inverters (on request) , with some modifications in case of Load_first status and zero grid export .

In case of Load_first inverter status, and zero grid export, there is the well known following problem : the equation for zero export grid power is : Pinv1 + Pinv2 + Pload + Pgrid =0 , with Pinv1 and Pinv2 the AC power of inverters . In order to solve this equation, inverters use closed loop to set Pgrid = 0 . But there are 2 unknown variables and only one equation . So, the number of solutions are infinite . This yields to large oscillations of power of inverters : during a short time, an inverter increases its power, and the other decreases its power of same amount . To prevent from this , the DIY hub modify the answer of meter . During a period (nearly 10 second ), the hub sends the true answer of meter to one inverter, and sends a null grid power answer to the other . During next period, role of inverters are reverse, and so on . When a a null grid power answer is received by an inverter, its is freezed, and its power Pinv is constant and no more a variable . So, previous equation has only one solution, which can be found by the closed loop of other inverter .
In case of Bat_first of Grid_first status, power of inverters are defined by user . So there is no interference between inverters . The hub sends the true answer of meter to inverters .
I have done many tests with this DIY hub, and it works well . It is possible to improve the system . The null power grid answer can be replaced by an eaquation in order to set equal power of inverters, or equal current of batteries ...
Sincerely yours
GeoSol

Morning,

trying to build sth similar, SPH 8K and 10K TL3 BH-UP in parallel. Primary aim is to increase battery power.
Primary issue is an error 201 leak current as soon as both connect to the battery (and are grid connected).
Would use a second smartmeter or build kind of a rs485 hub rather than SEM

Anyone an idea on the leak issue? Both work fine as long as not parallel on the battery

Thx
Nick
Sorry for replying to an old post, but just wanted to know how this project went? I'm in a similar boat at the moment and I'm considering another SPH6000 and the SEM. What did you do in the end?

Hi,
I have 2 GROWATT SPH 10000 TL3 BH-UP working in parallel, with their own battery, and on the same grid . I don't use SEM unit . I have replaced SEM by a DIY rs485 hub . Hub Input is the electric grid meter, and hub outputs are the 2 inverters (inverter meter input) .Main functions of the hub are :
- request of inverters to meter are sent only by one inverter, instead of both
- answer of meter is sent to inverters (on request) , with some modifications in case of Load_first status and zero grid export .

In case of Load_first inverter status, and zero grid export, there is the well known following problem : the equation for zero export grid power is : Pinv1 + Pinv2 + Pload + Pgrid =0 , with Pinv1 and Pinv2 the AC power of inverters . In order to solve this equation, inverters use closed loop to set Pgrid = 0 . But there are 2 unknown variables and only one equation . So, the number of solutions are infinite . This yields to large oscillations of power of inverters : during a short time, an inverter increases its power, and the other decreases its power of same amount . To prevent from this , the DIY hub modify the answer of meter . During a period (nearly 10 second ), the hub sends the true answer of meter to one inverter, and sends a null grid power answer to the other . During next period, role of inverters are reverse, and so on . When a a null grid power answer is received by an inverter, its is freezed, and its power Pinv is constant and no more a variable . So, previous equation has only one solution, which can be found by the closed loop of other inverter .
In case of Bat_first of Grid_first status, power of inverters are defined by user . So there is no interference between inverters . The hub sends the true answer of meter to inverters .
I have done many tests with this DIY hub, and it works well . It is possible to improve the system . The null power grid answer can be replaced by an eaquation in order to set equal power of inverters, or equal current of batteries ...
Sincerely yours
GeoSol
Hi geosol,
I too have 2 SPH 10000 TL3 BH-UP Inverters, currently running with SEM on zero export.
The thing is, that I would really like to keep the Data local, without having to use the chinese server. Also, the possibility to quickly adjust the inverters without having to write to the registers too often looks really nice.
I am currently using this: OpenInverterGateway flashed on 2 Wifi-x Sticks to get the inverter-data. (writing is also possible, but I am not that far yet)
While looking for the best option to get the SDM630 data too, using ModBus I came across your post, which looks exactly like the way I would like to go.
I am guessing you are using something like an ESP32 board with 3 RX/TX-Pins onboard.
Can you share your code/project? I would love to use my inverters the way you do, thing is, the debugging of the Modbus-Communication would be a lot of try/error and I'd really like to adapt something that is known to work --> I would like to adapt it in ESPHome and use it in HomeAssistant.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Back